Cross country Seattle/Chicago/Washington/West Palm Beach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauve850

OBS Chief
I flew from Wyoming to Seattle via Salt Lake City on August 30 to take Amtrak back to Florida after summer vacation. I stayed out by SeaTac and took the light rail to King Street Station after lunch on the 31st.

Haven't been there since its remodel and its really well done. They sure could use more than a couple vending machines. A few homeless people that looked a bit scary and no security seen for the three+ hours I was there. Also the acoustics are terrible. An employee came out and was trying to tell folks train was a few minutes late but you could not hear him unless you were 10 feet away. Same with the speaker system. Anyway the train pulled in and I got settled in my bedroom.

I had the water view on the left side of the train. Sun was out and it was beautiful. My SCA was doing his first run so he was trying to please. He was a coach attendant and worked also in the diner. I'm an easy passenger so all went well. Beds done on time and plenty of ice as I requested.

The LSA was Kyle and he and his staff were really good. Announcements were very clear. No waiting for a seat, both sides of diner being used, he was always helping his staff, drinks were quick to arrive, orders were accurate for every meal and timely. Food was quite good and Im only a breakfast fan on Amtrak. Every meal was tasty. Check for drinks arrived quickly and took a dessert to go both nights. Meet some very nice table mates.

I slept well both nights and upon waking early the second morning I noticed we were in Minneapolis. Looked at my watch and thought it must be off but no we were way ahead of schedule. My thoughts immediately went to maybe we get into Chicago on time and I can check in to my hotel and head to my favorite pizza restaurant for a nice meal at a reasonable hour! Sure enough we actually arrived early. I am pleased with the trip.

Two days later I rode the CL to Washington. It was uneventful and only about 30 minutes down. I had a bedroom again and no SCA issues. My evening meal was at 7:30 and food was ready when I arrived and ate in a semi empty diner. Two people were working behind the counter. I received no amenity box so that's all done I believe. The food is fine for an overnight trip. Dinner was hot and the beer was cold. Breakfast saw a few more people. I had oatmeal, two fruit cups, a blueberry muffin warmed with coffee and ice water.

Two days in Alexandria sightseeing. My hotel was right next to the free trolley heading down King Street every fifteen minutes. I enjoyed the visit to historical sights, ate some tasty food and headed out on the subway to Union Station and my trip home on the Star. I get a roomette on the Silvers as that's my preference. I ate a big lunch in the station, picked up a Subway sandwich with oil and vinegar on the side so the sandwich would be fresh for dinner. Stored it in my small cooler with ice from the lounge. Lounge has new furniture from last year. Nothing special just new. I also carry a Tupperware container when taking the Star and pick up some bakery goods for breakfast. So I'm only having to deal with lunch. As it was I decided to get a hot dog at the stand by the Orlando station so I never visited the Cafe. I was the only sleeper passenger boarding an almost ontime train 91. I knew my SCA so that part was easy. He was in room 1 I was in 3. He was pretty worn out as Amtrak had been flying the crew back and forth from Miami not knowing where the hurricane was going. Trip was another easy ride and early again into the station in West Palm. Three train rides all good. I like it!

My thoughts immediately went to maybe we get into Chicago on time and I can check in to my hotel and head to my favorite pizza restaurant for a nice meal at a reasonable hour!

Which is your favorite? :)

I stay north off Michigan Ave and enjoy Pizanos (on State Street) thin butter crust. Sausage, mushroom, onion. Its a good bar, good music, not very big and half a block from the hotel. There are so many good pizza places in Chicago deep dish and thin crust. Ive eaten at many and just took a liking to this bar/restaurant. I specifically book an overnight stay to eat pizza and catch a Cubs game or get to one of the museums before catching the CL eastbound. Costly but what the heck.

I stay north off Michigan Ave and enjoy Pizanos (on State Street) thin butter crust. Sausage, mushroom, onion. Its a good bar, good music, not very big and half a block from the hotel. There are so many good pizza places in Chicago deep dish and thin crust. Ive eaten at many and just took a liking to this bar/restaurant. I specifically book an overnight stay to eat pizza and catch a Cubs game or get to one of the museums before catching the CL eastbound. Costly but what the heck.
That sounds like a great night. I used to do overnights in Chicago pretty often, just for the heck of it. It's ok to treat yourself. :)

I'll check that place out. I love thin, butter crust. When I get deep dish, I prefer Lou Malnati's "Chicago Classic", which uses their own sausage and a crispy, buttery crust.

That sounds like a great night. I used to do overnights in Chicago pretty often, just for the heck of it. It's ok to treat yourself. :)

I'll check that place out. I love thin, butter crust. When I get deep dish, I prefer Lou Malnati's "Chicago Classic", which uses their own sausage and a crispy, buttery crust.

I've eaten at that particular Pizano's before, and liked it! For those who hadn't been there yet, you won't be disappointed if you choose to go there, for a deep dish pizza experience.

Pizanos is in the Malnati family fyi. Rudy Malnati Jr opened Pizanos in the 1990's. Bet its the same recipe:) So tasty.

Yes from what I remember reading, it was someone in the Malnati family who split from working at Lou Malnati's, and opened his own pizza place. It's interesting what you learn, when you research histories about various restaurants. Since otherwise, I never would've realized that for example the owner of Louisa's Pizza in Crestwood(southwest suburbs), used to work at Pizzeria Uno/Due.

Back