Cross country slide show December 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I just returned from a cross country trip on trains 98, 29, 5, 14, 8, 30 and 97. I took loads of photos and posted many on my FaceBook page. Tom (mrfss), who is an excellent photographer and editor, made a slideshow/video of some of my photos. Thank you Tom.

It is a 23 minute video - so beware.

Here is the link:

Last edited:
Lovely trip! Not much snow for this time of year. The Sacramento station looks really nice. Is it totally finished? King St. Station in Seattle looks nice, too. It looks like you took a long walk in Chicago -- I see they had no snow, LOL!

Thanks for the opportunity to travel along.

Lovely trip! Not much snow for this time of year. The Sacramento station looks really nice. Is it totally finished? King St. Station in Seattle looks nice, too. It looks like you took a long walk in Chicago -- I see they had no snow, LOL!

Thanks for the opportunity to travel along.
Thank you. Yes, I walked for a very long time in Chicago. I had anticipated temperatures in the high teens/low twenties and it was in the forties so I took advantage of the "balmy" weather. I do not know if the Sacramento Station is finished. I pretty much stayed in the small area reserved for sleeper passengers and I was not there very long. Since my layover in SAC was very long, I got an inexpensive (mainly with points) hotel room, showered, rested, ate, drank and walked around a bit. The hotel shuttle drove me the .6 miles to the station around 10pm. I walked to the hotel from the station when I arrived in daylight.

Since my layover in SAC was very long, I got an inexpensive (mainly with points) hotel room...

Can you share what hotel you stayed at? I did that transfer once, and even though I went out to dinner in Old Sacramento, there was a long wait in the station (the Starlate lived up to its name, would be much better to check train status from a comfy room).

Can you share what hotel you stayed at? I did that transfer once, and even though I went out to dinner in Old Sacramento, there was a long wait in the station (the Starlate lived up to its name, would be much better to check train status from a comfy room).
I stayed at the Embassy Suites. I had plenty of Hilton points and paid using mainly points and some cash. I was upgraded to a riverfront room. The photo of the bridge over the Sacramento River was taken from my hotel window.
I did a similar trip in August 2010 and I hated the layover and told myself if I ever did it again, I would get a hotel room (and I did). It was extremely hot that day in August 2010 and the wait in the station was quite uncomfortable. I walked around a bit during the 2010 layover, but did not want to stay out alone too much after dark.

I just returned from a cross country trip on trains 98, 29, 5, 14, 30 and 97. I took loads of photos and posted many on my FaceBook page. Tom (mrfss), who is an excellent photographer and editor, made a slideshow/video of some of my photos. Thank you Tom.

It is a 23 minute video - so beware.

Here is the link:

Penny, you left out 8 on your list of trains.

oops. I will edit - Thanks. 8 was a wonderful (and cold) ride.

I've experienced 8 in the wintertime many times. I'll do it again in February. Indeed it can be very cold....it's not Florida. LOL

I'm glad you had a great time on your trip....I loved the pictures! Also, I'm glad I was part of that trip. I had a blast with you on the Meteor and in DC....it was great to meet you!

The Vagabond Inn is right across the Street from the Station and by the Rail Museum and Old Sacramento on the River.

.Its nothing fancy but Clean,convenient and Very Reasonable, recommended for a Sacramento Layover!

We stayed on the “Delta King” when in Old Town Sacramento. Since we had “cruised” it’s twin the Delta Queen on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, it was a deja vue experience which we quite enjoyed.

Back