Cross country travel: are there any quarantines affecting train travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferroequinologist

Lead Service Attendant
I've heard that some states are requiring two-week quarantines for people who have travelled to certain states. What about someone who travels cross country, New York to Emeryville, for example. If the train passes through a state that is deemed a hot spot (and the passenger has possibly stepped off the train for a few minutes) will he/she be subject to quarantine in California? It sounds like a crazy question but highway patrols have been checking license plates of people coming from high infection states and people have apparently been turned away.

The police have set up road blocks at state lines, but it a hit or miss thing. Seem the politicians are not too serious about it.

As for train travel have not heard any issues.

Last edited:
These restrictions don’t make sense. They are not uniform.

As an example - Vermont has the 14 day quarantine requirement, so Amtrak canceled the EA north of ALB. (Besides service to VT stations, it also eliminated service to SDY, SAR and FED - NYS stations.) But Florida also had the 14 day quarantine requirement, yet Amtrak still operated the SM and SS!😳

With the opening of the Orlando parks is Florida still having a quarantine?
Our stay at home order has expired, but Orlando and Orange County are requiring residents and visitors to wear masks (however, they may not enforce). I believe all the theme parks are requiring guests to wear masks in order to enter and they will be limiting the number of guests.

The positive numbers in Orange County (Orlando) have spiked and the average of those newly infected is high 20's/low 30's.

These restrictions don’t make sense. They are not uniform.

As an example - Vermont has the 14 day quarantine requirement, so Amtrak canceled the EA north of ALB. (Besides service to VT stations, it also eliminated service to SDY, SAR and FED - NYS stations.) But Florida also had the 14 day quarantine requirement, yet Amtrak still operated the SM and SS!😳
Vermont service is state-funded so it is within the state's power to cancel it. Also, passengers bound for Vermont are more likely to originate in NY, NJ, and CT than passengers bound for Florida

But it is also state funded by NYDOT! So why can’t it operate to those 3 NYS stations north of ALB (SDY, SAR and FED)? And NYDOT also funds the Adirondack, and that too is not operating to ANY station in NYS north of ALB. (And except for Montreal EVERY station on the route is totally in NYS alone!)

If NY/NJ/CT is so bad, why are the COVID-19 cases in those states declining, yet in much of the rest of the country, they’re high and increasing? BTW - I live 200 miles north of NYC, closer to Montreal but I am still a “bad guy” because my address is NYS! It is closer from NYC to Washington, DC than it is from NYC to Buffalo, NY. Yet there is no restrictions on someone from PA, DE, MD or DC! But if your address has “‘NY” after it, you must quarantine!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I worried about that too but I think as long as you're just going through these places on the train, you're fine. I doubt getting off to stretch your legs would be of any concern (keep your mask on!). The problem I see is having to stay overnight somewhere because of an inability to connect to another train, so requiring you to leave the station for the night.

I also read on FB back a couple weeks ago I think that Los Angeles had a curfew in effect because of some rioting. I was thinking it would have been problematic for anyone having a ticket for SL#2 departing LAX since its departure time is 10 PM.

I also read on FB back a couple weeks ago I think that Los Angeles had a curfew in effect because of some rioting. I was thinking it would have been problematic for anyone having a ticket for SL#2 departing LAX since its departure time is 10 PM.

Police on the street will do whatever they feel is appropriate for the situation, but the few times I've been in a similar situation, I was able to proceed on my way with a (printed paper) ticket that clearly showed I had a plane/train to catch.

I live 200 miles north of NYC, closer to Montreal but I am still a “bad guy” because my address is NYS! It is closer from NYC to Washington, DC than it is from NYC to Buffalo, NY. Yet there is no restrictions on someone from PA, DE, MD or DC! But if your address has “‘NY” after it, you must quarantine!:rolleyes:
Pssst! Take a hint, buddy. They just don't like you. It has nothing to do with the virus. It's like Floridians who come to NC mountains for the summer. We'd prefer they stayed home and just sent their money up here - we think of them as a virus. :D

Pssst! Take a hint, buddy. They just don't like you. It has nothing to do with the virus. It's like Floridians who come to NC mountains for the summer. We'd prefer they stayed home and just sent their money up here - we think of them as a virus. :D
A friend of mine here in western NC once pointed out that in the local accent "tourist" sounds a lot like "terrorist." ;)

But it is also state funded by NYDOT! So why can’t it operate to those 3 NYS stations north of ALB (SDY, SAR and FED)? And NYDOT also funds the Adirondack, and that too is not operating to ANY station in NYS north of ALB. (And except for Montreal EVERY station on the route is totally in NYS alone!)

If NY/NJ/CT is so bad, why are the COVID-19 cases in those states declining, yet in much of the rest of the country, they’re high and increasing? BTW - I live 200 miles north of NYC, closer to Montreal but I am still a “bad guy” because my address is NYS! It is closer from NYC to Washington, DC than it is from NYC to Buffalo, NY. Yet there is no restrictions on someone from PA, DE, MD or DC! But if your address has “‘NY” after it, you must quarantine!:rolleyes:

Not in the northeast, but I remember reading that Cascades service was cut north of Seattle for now. I can understand why the train isn't running to Vancouver, BC(due to the border being closed to non-essential travel at least till July), but it seems weird to temporarily suspend Cascades service to Bellingham and Mount Vernon! At least Everett and the other stations between there and Seattle also have Empire Builder service, along with Sounder commuter rail.

Back to self quarantine rules, I remember a few places in Wisconsin, Indiana(at least for Michigan City, IN), and Michigan were for a brief while requiring visitors to self quarantine for 2 weeks if they visited those areas. It seems these quarantine rules were mainly targeting Chicago area residents, with vacation homes in these areas. Also that's really weird Florida at some point had a self quarantine rule in place, yet that Amtrak was still running the Meteor and Star into FL!

I hear that the Governors of NY/NJ/CT are proposing a quarantine rule on visitors from states like FL that are having a large increase in cases!

Serves them right! After all, fair is fair - they “banned” those “bad New Yorkers from 200-300 miles away from NYC“, so why can’t we ban those “bad Floridians”?

Serves them right! After all, fair is fair - they “banned” those “bad New Yorkers from 200-300 miles away from NYC“, so why can’t we ban those “bad Floridians”?
??? FL ... NJ/NY....but they're all the same?!?!? Fl plates/NY/NJ plates ... they are equal in both locations!!! It's the same people!!!

It's more like a travel advisory, mostly honor system... Gov's Ned LaMont(CT) and Phil Murphy appeared via video feed during Gov Cuomo's press conference this morning to join in the announcement.

Somehow I suspect that folks who think that merely wearing a mask is an unbearable limitation on their freedom will not self-quarantine, either.

On the other hand, the EU's rules really will keep Americans out of Europe for the foreseeable future. I'm supposed to be in Denmark, Italy, and Poland this coming fall. Not happening--not that I'd go even if they'd let me in. Travel anywhere in a metal tube seems like a bad idea to me.

It really seems like most of these announcements are more like "policy statements" than anything definite, or enforceable. And the upward trend of infections is concerning enough to get my attention, with 75% of the deaths being age 45 or older.
I've pretty much accepted that Florida is not happening this year. I really appreciate Amtrak being flexible with cancellations, it was nice to be able to book trips and hope for the best. However the best doesn't seem to be in the cards at least for the short term. I've also got tickets on the Wolverine to Chicago, thinking with infections down in both MI and IL, and the train only booked to half capacity, that it might be a great time to go. This is for over the 4th, which is a trip we have taken for many years. With each passing day it looks like this will be a cancel as well. As much as I appreciate what Amtrak is doing for cleanliness and safety, I'm not up for taking chances on a virus that kills one out of 20 people infected (120K deaths/2.2m cases). Especially with so many people deciding that they don't need to wear masks. Public health officials, state and local governments, are doing the best they can to respond to a dynamic situation. It's just too soon for me to feel comfortable deciding what is and is not safe.

Back