Cross country travel: are there any quarantines affecting train travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow I suspect that folks who think that merely wearing a mask is an unbearable limitation on their freedom will not self-quarantine, either.

It's not that it's "an unbearable limitation" on my freedom, but I wonder at the wisdom (not to mention safety) of constantly, for hours, breathing my own carbon dioxide.

I'm okay wearing a mask in the vicinity of others but I'm not going to wear it in open-air sunshine, I'm not going to wear it when I'm driving. One of our esteemed members here suggested the genius idea of hanging a mask on the the rearview mirror, letting the sun do its great job of disinfection (thank you, Sarah, for a *wonderful* suggestion, I've been using it ever since i read it - it really is ingenious).

I'm all in with hand sanitizers and hand-washing. But I don't have a problem with using common sense when it comes to masks.

Last edited:
Masks are not intended to be worn while driving. The idea of face covering is to lower the chance of spreading the virus to someone else. They cut down on droplets and particles from your mouth and nose reaching someone else. If you are in an area where you are away from other people, and are not going to cross their path, or be near them, that is not "wear a mask" territory. A big problem is people wearing a face covering not covering their nose, or hanging it on their chin and not putting it up when they get near other people. That's part of what causes some jurisdictions to go to the blanket "wear one whenever you are out in public" edicts.

Masks are not intended to be worn while driving. The idea of face covering is to lower the chance of spreading the virus to someone else. They cut down on droplets and particles from your mouth and nose reaching someone else. If you are in an area where you are away from other people, and are not going to cross their path, or be near them, that is not "wear a mask" territory. A big problem is people wearing a face covering not covering their nose, or hanging it on their chin and not putting it up when they get near other people. That's part of what causes some jurisdictions to go to the blanket "wear one whenever you are out in public" edicts.
Ride share programs like Lyft (I’m not 100% sure about Uber) require their passengers AND drivers to wear masks!

I wear my mask over my mouth, but not over my nose. If I do, my glasses fog up. I think it is much more dangerous to both myself and others to either walk or drive not being able to see, than to possibly “breath out” some germs thru my nose!

And studies have shown that while wearing masks cut down the “expel” in front of you, much is “expelled” around the side and to the back!

I got a bunch of the ones with decent nose clips. That really cut down on the eyeglass fog, which would be an issue for me also....If someone is covering there face driving, it has to be with a covering that allows decent breathing, or it jeopardizes safety. Unfortunately, the quality and suitability of much of what is out there is suspect. I have a couple of high end N95 left over I got when I was doing painting and plastering my apt. They have one way valves in the front to allow for easy exhales, but that totally defeats the reason for wearing them.

And studies have shown that while wearing masks cut down the “expel” in front of you, much is “expelled” around the side and to the back!
I do follow some of the Covid19-related studies, but hadn't heard anything about results that you mention. Do you have links to the studies? Or anything about turbulence also, especially in regard to singing or playing the flute? Someone in one of the bands I'm in showed a brief video of a high school band where the flutists were wearing those flexible face shields, hence the question I have on turbulence. They were also widely spaced from each other.

I don’t have a link, but I saw a story on one of the network news programs (CBS maybe) about a study in (I think) England that showed the infrared “exhaust” from someone wearing masks. It had some in front (thru the mask), but probably 5-10 times from the side and to the back!

I do follow some of the Covid19-related studies, but hadn't heard anything about results that you mention. Do you have links to the studies? Or anything about turbulence also, especially in regard to singing or playing the flute? Someone in one of the bands I'm in showed a brief video of a high school band where the flutists were wearing those flexible face shields, hence the question I have on turbulence. They were also widely spaced from each other.
Im not a expert. But, I seriously think anyone playing any brass instrument with a spit valve or a flute while being infected, will spread the virus to anyone in the same room.

While breath does get expelled out the sides, it tends to first hit the front of the mask and then 'bounce' to the sides--which means the aerosol droplets will tend to be caught by the inside of the mask. So 'side' air is much less dangerous than 'front' exhalation, according to my colleagues in the public health school.

Im not a expert. But, I seriously think anyone playing any brass instrument with a spit valve or a flute while being infected, will spread the virus to anyone in the same room.
Well, yeah, duh, especially for the flute because half or more of the air we're blowing is not going into the flute, but across the lip plate and that airstream has a lot of oomph behind it. Playing the flute requires more air than any other instrument including the tuba. But the face shields are the same ones worn by medical people to prevent splashes from getting onto the workers face. However, if they get bent or dirty, they become harder to see out of and also even after cleaning. There is no way the groups I'm in are going to resume rehearsals until after a vaccine becomes available because 2 of them are filled with old people and the other one is composed mainly of health care workers. The latter was the first group to stop rehearsals, of course.

Well, yeah, duh, especially for the flute because half or more of the air we're blowing is not going into the flute, but across the lip plate and that airstream has a lot of oomph behind it. Playing the flute requires more air than any other instrument including the tuba. But the face shields are the same ones worn by medical people to prevent splashes from getting onto the workers face. However, if they get bent or dirty, they become harder to see out of and also even after cleaning. There is no way the groups I'm in are going to resume rehearsals until after a vaccine becomes available because 2 of them are filled with old people and the other one is composed mainly of health care workers. The latter was the first group to stop rehearsals, of course.
Young, old, whatever. Practicing by yourself sounds like a bad idea.

Whats the onboard experience right now? I needed a break, and a bit of sequestration to get some work done, so on a whim, booked a flight to LA next week, to return to Birmingham on the Chief, Cap, and Crescent. Are things open downtown LA/CHI/WAS?

Michigan man. Agree. However the death rate for each age group or even each age is even more important. I think a good compromise would be groups of 5 years broken down by sex.

I wear my mask over my mouth, but not over my nose.
Then why bother wearing a mask at all? You can breathe contamination out of your nose just as easily as you can breathe it out of your mouth. Sneezing on someone is no safer than coughing on them. Rather than pretending to wear a mask in bad faith just tell them you don’t believe in masks and let them decide if they still want your fare.

If I do, my glasses fog up. I think it is much more dangerous to both myself and others to either walk or drive not being able to see, than to possibly “breath out” some germs thru my nose!
I ran into the same issue so I bought a mask with a metal strip built into the top that can bend around my nose to cut down on moisture. The combination of the strip plus a slight adjustment to my glasses works well enough to prevent any problems with sight. It’s not perfect but it gets the job done.

Last edited:
The ironic thing is that outside of the Pacific coast states, most of the cases in the US are most closely related to the variant of the Covid that hit New York/New Jersey. So the people that are getting sick in Florida and Arizona are most likely getting it from people that got it in the Northeast.
It is interesting how the genetic makeup of the different variants of the disease have migrated. Victims in Washington state and California apparently are most likely to have gotten it directly from China, but the Northeast got it after it had gone through Europe and mutated slightly.

I hear that the Governors of NY/NJ/CT are proposing a quarantine rule on visitors from states like FL that are having a large increase in cases!

Serves them right! After all, fair is fair - they “banned” those “bad New Yorkers from 200-300 miles away from NYC“, so why can’t we ban those “bad Floridians”?

So how come states like NY were very high (The highest in the country) while states like FL and AZ were very low. NYS shut down and slowly reopened, while FL and AZ decided “enough is enough” and reopened. Now, NYS is one of the lowest and decreasing every day, while FL and AZ are high and increasing every day and may shut down again?🤔

So how come states like NY were very high (The highest in the country) while states like FL and AZ were very low. NYS shut down and slowly reopened, while FL and AZ decided “enough is enough” and reopened. Now, NYS is one of the lowest and decreasing every day, while FL and AZ are high and increasing every day and may shut down again?🤔
Think about the weather.

It was winter, so we were all cooped up inside hacking on each other while people in AZ and FL were outside enjoying their mild, sunny weather.

Now it's summer, so we're all outside enjoying the (brief) sun and warmth while people in AZ and FL are taking refuge indoors.

Think about the weather.

It was winter, so we were all cooped up inside hacking on each other while people in AZ and FL were outside enjoying their mild, sunny weather.

Now it's summer, so we're all outside enjoying the (brief) sun and warmth while people in AZ and FL are taking refuge indoors.
Theyre taking refuge in the wrong places Sarah! (Bars, Clubs, Gyms and on Beaches and around Water, and not following Safety Guidelines!)

Theyre taking refuge in the wrong places Sarah! (Bars, Clubs, Gyms and on Beaches and around Water, and not following Safety Guidelines!)
That's my point. :p Everyone is inside, so it's easier to spread, just like it spread in the northern states during winter.

I ran into the same issue so I bought a mask with a metal strip built into the top that can bend around my nose to cut down on moisture. The combination of the strip plus a slight adjustment to my glasses works well enough to prevent any problems with sight. It’s not perfect but it gets the job done.

I had the same trouble at first. The one with a metal wire works decently, but I've honestly had about as much luck with a mask where I fold down the top part slightly (maybe the top quarter of an inch, just below where the strap attaches) and make sure to have it tucked under my glasses, ideally with part of it pinched against the frame. It's a bit hard to describe, but some experimentation will likely help.

It also seems as though some of the newer, "factory-made" ones, have better patterns than the initial ones. Having the curve around the nose really helps to seal it in better. It took a bit of getting used to and a bit of experimentation, but once I figured out what worked best for me I haven't had a big issue with my glasses fogging up regularly.

Back