CS Curiosity

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dnsommer2013

Train Attendant
I just watched an outdated Pentrex video from the 1990's about The Coast Starlight. Is this train still considered Amtrak's best? Does it still have the great stuff shown in the video, like the premier lounges at the big stations, the parlor cars, the wine tastings, the movie cars, and all those sleeping car amenities? Or have dixie cups, styrofoam plates, and plastic silverware become the norm, nowadays, so to speak?

I suppose this train and perhaps the entire coast line will have to quietly disappear into history when the planned LA - SF high-speed line opens!

Maybe The Coast Starlight will run only between Oakland and Seattle. I guess that would be okay.

Eventually, I expect the only way to enjoy traveling long distance by rail in any sort of "grand manner" will be with wildly expensive private charter trains run by parties interested in preserving some vestige of the past. But it seems like all such operations like this to date have not succeeded.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only "premier" lounge...aka Metropolitan Lounge available is at LAUS and PDX. The other stations are, well just stations and/or platforms! They still run the Pacific Parlour Car with wine tasting (now for a fee) and movies in the afternoon and evening.

The dishes in the diner are plastic but the utensils are metal.

Only time will tell the effect high speed rail will have. There is also talk of a Coast Daylight between LA and San Francisco.

Just did a round trip last month LA to Seattle and both runs went well, the service good and we had an enjoyable time.

High Speed Rail is targeted more to compete with the Airline market. Those who take the Coast Starlight now generally are not looking for high speed travel. With the potential routing and pricing of high speed rail, I doubt the Coast Starlight will take took much of a hit from the leisure traveler looking for the novelty of the experience. Yes, there have been cuts to service, but people will still take the train as you can't beat the scenery along portions of the route. Plus it is an experience as well.

The plates and such are not plastic. It is "real". At least it was when I took it 3 weeks ago. And wine tastings have reappeared after being dropped earlier this year albeit at a price.
It varies. They've got a basic pattern that is used on plastic disposable and Corelle. I've seen both, including both at the same meal. The coffee mug I used was standard stoneware. When I asked to wrap it up, I wasn't given a box, but rather just aluminum foil covering the plate.
I hear the disposables actually save labor time.

I suppose this train and perhaps the entire coast line will have to quietly disappear into history when the planned LA - SF high-speed line opens!

Maybe The Coast Starlight will run only between Oakland and Seattle. I guess that would be okay.
The CA HSR lines will not be going to Oakland. The Coast Starlight would connect to the CA HSR system at LA Union Station, San Jose, and when the Sacramento line is built, at Sacramento. What the HSR system would do to the CS ridership is an unknown. LA to SF region ridership would likely decline, but CS serves many coastal communities inbetween that will be a long way from the HSR stations. It could gain ridership from the stops between LA and SF as a feeder service to the HSR system and from major growth in people taking trains in CA due to CA HSR. We just had a brief discussion about this in terms of what the CA HSR would mean to a Coast Daylight SF to LA train.

The CS might also gain ridership at San Jose and Sacramento for trips to northern CA and the Pacific Northwest with the CA HSR system acting as feeder service to the CS. A CA HSR system would likely change the city pair market distribution for the CS, but whether it would hurt it overall remains to be seen. But a LA to downtown SF HSR service is unfortunately many years away.

No one could make any money on "Grand Manner", I suspect they would all still be in business. Those days are over and not returning. No grand manner in airlines either. Personally, I no longer own a tie or a suit. I am not sorry to pass those on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back