CS delays - 11(9)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
Train 11(9) was being held in Portland due to a very late arrival of 27. Due to a drawbridge malfunction just south of Union Station, it was held at the station. Instead of a 2:xx pm departure, it was delayed over 3.5 hours. It finally left the platform about 6 pm.

As 11 arrived in Salem, OR (the very next stop), there was a medical emergency on board, which added to the delays. Arrival into Salem was 4 hours late.

Well... 28 was held at PDX for a late 14 due to that bridge malfunction and finally departed around 6:45pm. Now we're sitting just south of the Willamette bridge waiting for "police to apprehend a suspect on the bridge" (confirmed via scanner).

Last edited by a moderator:
And... 28 finally got over the Willamette only to get delayed again by a Columbia River bridge lift. No filming through the gorge this trip. :-(

Oh no, passengers at Vancouver WA might be really confused . . .

1. Amtrak 28 arrives

2. Amtrak 508 arrives shortly after that

3. Amtrak 14 arrives shortly after that

Oh, and there's a separate platform for the Empire Builder right? More confusion ensues as people say "Hey everyone! *The* train's over here!" while others disagree . . .

I believe Dave is relishing in all this extra train time. And a CZ detour on the same trip. Amtrak Heaven.. :p Going to be a tight connection to the CZ 6 but perhaps they would hold it a while in SAC if you are close to arriving..

Would I do that short a trip? :huh: I don't think so! :p I'm going to San Diego before heading to Denver.

11 is in Redding, CA over 4 hours late. They may have to hold the CZ, I know a few passengers are transferring to it.

At this rate, pending padding, I may get to LA about 1-2 am! :eek:

Yesterday my train 508 was almost 1 hour late into PDX due to Steel Bridge switch issues, but we are luckier than 11/14/507 passengers.

Trains 11 and 507 were blocked west of the bridge (PDX station); 14 and 508 were held east of the bridge.

11 left PDX 3 hours 11 minutes late (although it arrived PDX 4 minutes earlier)

507 left PDX 1 hour 7 minutes late

14 arrived PDX 3 hours 38 minutes late (although it was on time until SLM)

508 arrived PDX 50 minutes late

508 passed 14 before the Columbia River Bridge. 14 ended up arriving SEA 12:12am, 4 hours late from schedule.

Would I do that short a trip? :huh: I don't think so! :p I'm going to San Diego before heading to Denver.

11 is in Redding, CA over 4 hours late. They may have to hold the CZ, I know a few passengers are transferring to it.

At this rate, pending padding, I may get to LA about 1-2 am! :eek:
I must be getting old and senile to think that you would have gotten off the CS in SAC today. :p Have a great trip down the coast to our favorite city, San Diego.

This is not the first time I'm experiencing issues with Steel Bridge.

Every time I take 507 south of Portland I'll keep my finger crossed. It may stuck in PDX for ages.

11(9) finally made it to LAX ar 12:55 am (almost 4 hours late).

I was aboard the CS and arrival(let's just say 1am) got me to the FlyAway Bus stop by 1:15am. Unfortunately, the FlyAway bus only operates hourly during those overnight hours so I had to wait until 2am to depart on the bus and then wait at the airport only 10 minutes for the hotel shuttle which finally got me to my hotel right at 3am. Got to my room and got in bed 3:35am - a very long day and night.

I was aboard the CS and arrival(let's just say 1am) got me to the FlyAway Bus stop by 1:15am. Unfortunately, the FlyAway bus only operates hourly during those overnight hours so I had to wait until 2am to depart on the bus and then wait at the airport only 10 minutes for the hotel shuttle which finally got me to my hotel right at 3am. Got to my room and got in bed 3:35am - a very long day and night.
This is one of the reasons I love Burbank - you walk across the street to the airport, and pass through the rental car pickup area. There are even couple of hotels within reasonable walking distance - better than reasonable if you've been sitting on a train all day. Not as many flights, but you might be surprised at where you can get to and for how much. You could have been in bed about the same time the train got to LA Union Station.

I believe Dave is relishing in all this extra train time. And a CZ detour on the same trip. Amtrak Heaven...
Except for those poor souls in coach.

Next time take an Uber/Lyft ride and/or use an earlier stop like TiBike recommended above.

Why LAX? Only airport that offers nonstops to Nashville! Plus I use my American frequent flier miles. Hard for Uber, etc to beat $9. Was no problem for me to wait 45 minutes for the FlyAway. Security was obviously in presence and the FlyAway attendant was friendly and chatted with me while I waited. It would have still be 12:30 am if I got off at Bob Hope Airport and cab, etc availability from that point was not obviously available to reach any hotel.

Bob Hope has the same kind of cab, Uber and hotel shuttle service as LAX. You can get an Uber from the train station (probably something like $5 to an airport hotel), but you have to walk across the street to the airport terminal to get a shuttle. Probably have to do that for a cab, too, if you don't use Uber.

If you're flying out of LAX, though, there's probably not that much of an advantage. You'd either have to take a Super Shuttle or similar to get there, or get back on the train and do the Fly Away out of Union Station (or go the long way around on the Metro).

Since my flight was 8:35 AM Wednesday morning, I was happy to be in a hotel right at LAX. Hilton Shuttle ran every 20 minutes. Arriving that late (early Tuesday morning) 12:30 AM at Bob Hope and 1 AM at Union Station) I'll stick with Union Station and FlyAway to LAX Hotel as my best bet. I'll be repeating this in late January and have done it before. More often than not the #11 arrive by 9 PM and that is a good situation. Since I am HiltonHonors, I get to checkin and choose my room number the day prior so no matter when I arrive my room is ready and waiting. And I usually stay two nights so that I can sleep in first morning in LAX Hotel.

More often than not the #11 arrive by 9 PM and that is a good situation. Since I am HiltonHonors, I get to checkin and choose my room number the day prior so no matter when I arrive my room is ready and waiting.
If you're arriving at a hotel after 9:00 P.M., your room better be ready and waiting, unless something's gone horribly wrong!

(But I do agree that the HHonors electronic check-in does speed up the check-in process.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back