CS "Incident" April 23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You read often enough about this sort of thing throughout this forum and in the newspapers, so I guess it occurs more often than one would hope for. Nevertheless, I never thought it would happen on one of my rides, but it did yesterday, when the CS struck and killed a young man about 20 minutes northbound out of Santa Barbara. http://www.keyt.com/news/local/92026394.html

One news report indicated he was lying on the tracks amongst beer cans. We were delayed about 2-1/2 hours while the authorities investigated before they cleared us to continue. In the meantime, a replacement engineer took over. As much as I feel sad for the young man, I can't help but think that that kind of "incident" has to be an engineer's worst nightmare, and I felt so badly for him (or her). My SCA told me that engineers can opt off the rest of their shift after such an "incident," and that post traumatic stress counselling is now mandatory.

I use the word"incident" because that's what the conductor used when informing us passengers about the delay. Somehow, it doesn't seem like the right word, but I myself can't think of any better one. As my SCA said, "We were delayed 2-1/2 hours; the victim's life was put on permanent delay." Sad all round.

Victim's own fault.

My heart goes out to the engineer and conductor on the train and everyone else who had to put up with the results of this person's actions.

Two kids were killed by a UP freight in SoCal Saturday too, and this local news video says they were apparently sleeping on the tracks.

Train Accident Kills 2 Young Men In Rosemead

What's striking about the report is the shots of the grieving friends and relatives engaging in behavior similar to that which got the deadguys dead: trespassing on the railroad tracks!

There's not a Darwin Awards ("Honoring those who improve the species...by accidentally removing themselves from it!") category dedicated to railroad trespassers, but a search using "railroad" turned up these accounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two kids were killed by a UP freight in SoCal Saturday too, and this local news video says they were apparently sleeping on the tracks.
Train Accident Kills 2 Young Men In Rosemead

What's striking about the report is the shots of the grieving friends and relatives engaging in behavior similar to that which got the deadguys dead: trespassing on the railroad tracks!

There's not a Darwin Awards ("Honoring those who improve the species...by accidentally removing themselves from it!") category dedicated to railroad trespassers, but a search using "railroad" turned up these accounts.
With regard to the Rosemead video. Sleeping on active RR tracks?! It doesn't matter if there is a Darwin Award category or not. They are definately improving the gene pool by removing themselves -- as are someone who piles beer cans on RR tracks and passes out. Trains can't jump the tracks and hunt you down, you have to be on the tracks to get removed from the gene pool in this manner. No sympathy at all for these fools, although all the sympathy in the world for the train crews who can only watch helplessly as their multi-ton behemoth mows these fools down.

Last summer on our CZ trip from SAC to CHI, our train was struck by a car (not vice-versa!) while we were having lunch in the diner. Our server kept us all updated on all details as they became available. He told us that grade crossing accidents happen on the average of every 90 minutes across the country.

I think we only hear of the most spectacular ones, or maybe the ones that happen on a slow news day. Also, when it comes to "suicide-by-train", the media plays it down to avoid copycat events.

I never understood why people avoid copycat suicides. People that look up to and copy someone for killing themselves aren't exactly beneficial to human society.

I get but one chance to die, and I intend to spend a long, long time studying life before I get a chance to experience death. I know I come accross as a cold ******* most of the time, but I find that placing value on the lives of people who would rather be dead, or don't value their life enough to take reasonable precautions to preserve it, to be one of the more amusing sillinesses out there.

I mean, who am I, or who are you, to value someone's life more than they do?

For once some of your philosophy seems sensible,I even agree a little, but we still need to remember that the mentally ill and other "reasoning challenged" (not up on the latest lingo in this field ,used to be MR)are not capable of handling their lives so it doesnt effect everyone else! No matter what you feel about it, suicides have a direct and meaningful impact on others, in the case of trains: engineer(s),OBS,passengers and first responders! I worked for several years in Emergency response and all deaths,while they are assured to happen when your time comes, have consequencies for us all! Throw away and flip remarks about gene pools and Darwin might sound reasoned but in reality are immature, unthinking and actually ignorant IMO! :rolleyes: I'm not religious at all but "We are our brothers keeper!" ;) Stupidity such as driving across tracks w/o looking, ignoring gates,lights etc. or even seeing the train and trying to beat it are another matter! RIP!!

we don't know if it was a suicide. all we know is they were sleeping on the tracks. also the family members are lucky they did not end up the same way sense the video shows them sitting and hanging around on the tracks.

Looks like another one today here in the Bay Area. :(

I just got this email:

Capitol Corridor Service Advisory: Delays expected for afternoon trains on 4/28
Due to a trespasser incident near Richmond, travel aboard Capitol Corridor trains will be severely impacted this afternoon.

Currently, tracks in both directions are closed, stopping all train travel, and local authorities have not indicated when the tracks will be reopened.At this time, Trains 534 and 545 will NOT operate this afternoon due to equipment restrictions associated with this incident. Passengers planning to travel aboard 534 and 545 will need to use Trains 536 and 547 instead.

Passengers planning to travel aboard train 536 this afternoon are advised to utilize BART to connect to this train at Richmond. Passengers traveling from San Francisco to connect with this train can show their Amtrak ticket stub to BART agents, and will be carried for free aboard BART to the Richmond station stop to connect with train 536.

Our operations team is doing the best they can to secure alternate options for passengers who are currently onboard trains and enroute to their destinations.

Passengers are advised to seek alternate transportation if possible due to the uncertain nature of the delay.

Thank you for your patience and we'll do our best to keep you updated throughout the afternoon when we have more information about when tracks will be released and open for train travel.
Even worse than I first thought... :(

http://www.ktvu.com/news/23294787/detail.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back