CS to CZ transfer 30 minute window dilemma

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

zephyr17

Engineer
I like making the Train 11 to 6 connection in college town Davis, but I'm familiar with the area and I do it on my homebound trip, so if something goes wrong, I could deal with it. I wouldn't recommend a same day connection west of there.
I understand the reason for doing it, Davis is a nice place with a lot on the immediate vicinity of its old SP station. Plus literally just minutes west of Sacramento. But can you do a guaranteed connection 11 to 6 connection there? Once upon a time you could do a guaranteed connection west of SAC, but Amtrak appears to have shut that down years ago.

Personally, I am really allergic to same day non-guaranteed connections.

I actually somewhat allergic to some certain same day guaranteed connections, as I am very protective of sleeper accommodations. Like eastbound through Chicago. But that's just me...

Last edited:

Willbridge

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
I understand the reason for doing it, Davis is a nice place with a lot on the immediate vicinity of its old SP station. Plus literally just minutes west of Sacramento. But can you do a guaranteed connection 11 to 6 connection there? Once upon a time you could do a guaranteed connection west of SAC, but Amtrak appears to have shut that down years ago.

Personally, I am really allergic to same day non-guaranteed connections.

I actually somewhat allergic to some certain same day guaranteed connections, as I am very protective of sleeper accommodations. Like eastbound through Chicago. But that's just me.
This summer I was gambling, and one ticket was SSD>DAV in Business Class or the other was Coach on points DAV>DEN. If the connection had been missed, I was prepared for an overnight stay at my expense. As I was a coach passenger the second gamble was that I could rebook DAV>DEN for the next day. It's been a while since I did this on a multi-city ticket.

Widfara

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Both legs of your trip have to be on the same reservation to have the connection guaranteed. If you have them booked separately, call Amtrak and have the reservation combined (with the connection happening in Sacramento).

But the advice above works if you really want to visit Emeryville.
Why would you want to visit Emeryville?