LSL consist, Sleeper and crew

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3rdg1rl

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Does anyone know if the Boston sleeper is still directly behind the loco? And to get to the diner, is it halfway through the NYC cars? I'll be on it next week. It's my first trip since the pandemic and my husband's first trip ever. I just wanted to have some idea what was to be expected.

Does anyone know if the Boston sleeper is still directly behind the loco? And to get to the diner, is it halfway through the NYC cars? I'll be on it next week. It's my first trip since the pandemic and my husband's first trip ever. I just wanted to have some idea what was to be expected.
Yes and yes.

Perhaps this is going into too much detail, but the Boston sleeper is directly behind the second locomotive. So you might have some engine noise, but the horn noise will be a bit less than being behind the head-end locomotive.

If the sleeper is unit #3 in the consist, I've been in the car that is #4, when it was the business class/cafe car. From that position, the horn noise was audible but pretty quiet. I've never been in the Boston sleeper, but it might not be as bad as it could be given its positioning at the front of the train.

I have been in the Boston sleeper a few times and I don't recall the horn noise being particularly objectionable. In fact I rather like it. Part of the romance of train travel.
I agree. Was in the Boston section a couple of years ago. Loved hearing the horn blow in the sleeper.
If someone is a light sleeper, I could definitely see how that could be a problem, though.

The LSL consist is currently: P42, P42, BOS Viewliner I Sleeper, BOS Amfleet II Cafe, BOS Amfleet II Coach, BOS Amfleet II Coach, NYP Amfleet II Coach, NYP Amfleet II Coach, NYP Amfleet II Coach, NYP Viewliner I Diner, NYP Viewliner I Sleeper, NYP Viewliner II Sleeper, NYP Viewliner II Baggage

The LSL consist is currently: P42, P42, BOS Viewliner I Sleeper, BOS Amfleet II Cafe, BOS Amfleet II Coach, BOS Amfleet II Coach, NYP Amfleet II Coach, NYP Amfleet II Coach, NYP Amfleet II Coach, NYP Viewliner I Diner, NYP Viewliner I Sleeper, NYP Viewliner II Sleeper, NYP Viewliner II Baggage
The Diner would be a Viewliner II usually. I am not even sure if the sole Viewliner I Diner is currently in circulation.

Back