Current Sunset Limited LA arrival policy?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crescent-zephyr

Engineer
Hello! Just off the Sunset Limited in LA. Sleeper passengers used to be aables to stay on the train until 6 or 7 am correct? I was told last night by the sleeper attendant I would have to get off the train upon arrival in LA. And since we were early into LA, that meant I had to be off the train at 4:30 AM.

I'm not complaining, it was going to be an early morning either way, I am just wondering what the actual policy is.

Amtrak dropped that statement from their schedules a while back. This summer, both SCA's had us up to be off the train shortly after it arrived. they have to have all the beds changed, they other duties completed, and be off the car, before the consist is backed out of the station to the yard.

Thanks. They were following procedure then. Should have known Amtrak wouldn't keep a customer friendly policy in place... Would have much rather waited for my Surfliner in bed! Ha.

I was impressed with my first trip on the sunset...great scenery and a wonderful diner crew.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I remember seeing on the platform, they used to leave the cars on the platform and just take the engines away to wherever? Was this to let the sleeper passengers sleep in?

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I remember seeing on the platform, they used to leave the cars on the platform and just take the engines away wherever? Was this to let the sleeper passengers sleep in?
How would that even be possible, since the SL pulls into LAX locomotive first and there are no thru tracks? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong but as I remember seeing on the platform, they used to leave the cars on the platform and just take the engines away wherever? Was this to let the sleeper passengers sleep in?
How would that even be possible, since the SL pulls intoLAX locomotive first and there are no thru tracks? :huh:
The station was built to allow this type of maneuver, with a third track between the two platforms.

How would that even be possible, since the SL pulls intoLAX locomotive first and there are no thru tracks? :huh:
Probably backed it into the station like they do for boarding. I've seen it on multiple occasions sitting on the platform missing the engines, on Monday mornings.

The station was built to allow this type of maneuver, with a third track between the two platforms.
Ah yes! I totally forgot about the middle track and the switches.

Squinting with my good eye at imagery of Google Earth and MyTopo, I see 3 "middle" tracks at LAUS. Numbering the tracks out from the station in an ESE direction, these 3 "middle" tracks () are #7, 10 & 13 and each is connected to the two adjacent tracks. Total tracks is 18, not counting the 3 short stubs (maintenance?) NE of the station building. The MyTopo is clearer:

MapLAUStracksc.jpg

Those 3 "middle" tracks may not be included in the numbering system used by the station, however.

Which tracks does Amtrak use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back