Currently Stored P42DC's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory, one of the things they could do for the locos that are not fit to repair is strip the usable spare pieces and save them somewhere and then sell the unusable parts for scrap.

In theory, one of the things they could do for the locos that are not fit to repair is strip the usable spare pieces and save them somewhere and then sell the unusable parts for scrap.
Did you not read several of the posts before yours? It is believed to be cheaper to keep the loco intact and take the parts when needed.

Did you not read several of the posts before yours? It is believed to be cheaper to keep the loco intact and take the parts when needed.
Why is it, that it's cheaper to keep it intact rather than stripping? Just asking.

Why is it, that it's cheaper to keep it intact rather than stripping? Just asking.
It is much cheaper to leave a part on a stored locomotive, as you are not using labor to remove parts that will not be used.

There is a labor cost involved in stripping parts which you may not use for years (if ever). Keeping the unit intact costs nothing, and you can still remove whatever parts you need when you want them.

There is a reason that short lines keep some locomotives that are inoperable. One example is the central Montana railroad, which has 7 gp9 high hood units, though one is used as a parts source to keep the others moving.

If you break a unit down to units or their parts you are expending labor that might not ever be required. Also, you need a warehouse and a data system to track not only what you have, but where it is stored. If I have a derelict loco stored outside I only need to keep track of what I have taken. If i want to rep[lace an assembly, I may have to reassemble parts if I've broken them down, If I want to replace an individual part, the opposite would be true if I kept assemblies together. Think of how airplane that may not fly again are stored in the desert. By the time they are cut up, many of them look like a post Thanksgiving turkey.

By leaving them in situ in a damaged engine surely you are risking the quality of the part deteroriating due to weather damage/corrosion etc. By stripping a loco and storing in an environmentally controlled warehouse you are reducing that risk to almost zero which will mean you have more useable spare parts for longer.

Leaving a loco to rust at the end of a siding to keep for spares is false economy.

If an entire engine is going for scrap you can bring in the heavy machinery and reduce it to a pile of shredded metal in maybe as little as four hours.

If you're removing parts, you can be at it for weeks, and then you need to label, inventorize and store those parts.

The scrap value of steel can be as little as 3 cents per lb. Copper is more valuable at maybe 1 to 2$ depending on the grade.

So guessing a P42 has about 200,000 lb of steel, that's $6,000 of scrap value in steel. Guessing there are 5,000 lb of copper, that's about $7,000 for the scrap copper.

The entire engine is worth less that $15,000 in scrap. After you subtract shipping and machinery, it's even less. In the bigger picture for Amtrak, that sort of money is peanuts.

However, in terms of salary costs alone, you could easily spend a multiple of that in dismantling for parts that you may very well never want.

Copper on the railroads has always had a strange and sometimes fatal attraction. Every few years some gets fried trying to cut down catenary. Signal cable was easy, but more and more is fiber now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back