Currently Stored P42DC's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief
The currently stored P42DC's are 8, 21, 24, 49, 70, 80, 99, 102, 128, 135, 141, 178, 185. Some of these have either wreck damage or fire damage.

I'm very curious which of these stored locos will likely be scrapped, continuously stored, or back in service in the future.

8 is almost certainly going to be scrapped, the frame is damaged beyond repair.

8f0cb2c35afe168ca68597e9653633a2.jpg

Most are being held until the insurance pays out, and are reparable

The currently stored P42DC's are 8, 21, 24, 49, 70, 80, 99, 102, 128, 135, 141, 178, 185. Some of these have either wreck damage or fire damage.

I'm very curious which of these stored locos will likely be scrapped, continuously stored, or back in service in the future.
I'm not sure where you received this information, but some of the units you mentioned aren't stored while some that are stored did not receive a mention. Additionally, some will be repaired while others will languish as insurance battles rage on, particularly since they are evidence.

Finally, there is funding and scheduling that must be considered. It may take years. The 706 was a perfect example.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, #8 was the one that rear ended a freight train a few years ago in Chicago. The engineer was rather new, but a Road Foreman was in the cab!

Almost ten years ago now...it was the Pere Marquette in 2007 I think. Rear ended a freight train at 40+mph. No fatalities.

#8: The crewmembers in the locomotive suffered serious injuries, and approximately 60 passengers suffered minor injuries.

Miraculously not. The P40DC's and P42DC's were designed for safety inside the cab. I rarely hear about Amtrak engineers getting killed in crashes these days.

And also, I got the infor from the 4rr website. http://4rr.com/4rr_001.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure where you received this information, but some of the units you mentioned aren't stored while some that are stored did not receive a mention. Additionally, some will be repaired while others will languish as insurance battles rage on, particularly since they are evidence.

Finally, there is funding and scheduling that must be considered. It may take years. The 706 was a perfect example.
I received the info from the 4rr website.

I received the info from the 4rr website.
I wouldn't have much faith in the up-to-dateness of that website based on this link, since there is at least one other Amtrak investigation that has not been finalized.

Click here for a revised link to NTSB railroad accident reports. There is still one investigation still not final involving Amtrak, the June 24, 2011 California Zephyr vs. gravel truck at Miriam, Nevada. The preliminary report has been released. You can also reach other completed reports through this link.

When in doubt, read the NTSB report. The NTSB has little, to no conjecture in its reports. Items from elsewhere on the internet rely on rumor and "well I heard."

I think it is safe to say you can add the 65 and 66 to the list of stored diesels for the foreseeable future.

99 is being equipped for ACSES operations.. IINM. Looks like that and dare I say 145 will be captive to the NEC for a bit, 145 is now ACSES equipped pending FRA approval. This according to an Amtrak Engineer that is pretty reliable.

"And for those units that are not repairable, why not sell them for scrap?" It's cheaper to leave them parked and use them for spare parts as needed than to disassemble them and store the parts separately. If you just scrap them, the spare parts are gone forever.

"And for those units that are not repairable, why not sell them for scrap?" It's cheaper to leave them parked and use them for spare parts as needed than to disassemble them and store the parts separately. If you just scrap them, the spare parts are gone forever.
And also, the scrap value is pretty much peanuts compared to the value of parts.

There are parts which have very little value as scrap steel (steel is very recycleable, but not particularly expensive) but are very valuable as a part. A prime example are truck assemblies, I believe a bunch have already been grabbed. No longer in current manufacture, a custom fabrication would likely cost more than a whole loco at scrap would bring.

Also, it's not always economic to remove parts speculatively.

You cannot predict whether a given part will ever be required, but it costs manpower to remove that part and then inventorize and store it. Then some years later when the type gets retired that part may go for scrap anyway. It's more economic to extract the parts in a focussed manner and as needed, provided of course you have a location where it is feasible to store and access the entire locomotive - preferably a location where the land value is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back