CUS temporary bag storage, and food options

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anuenue

Train Attendant
At the end of this month, I'll be leaving CUS with a sleeper ticket, on an evening train. I'd like to leave my suitcase there from the time I check out of my hotel till I get back from sightseeing several hours later. I need assistance due to disability. And, I want to spend some time in the Metropolitan Lounge, for the experience of it.

From what I'm reading, the new lounge has free storage, but there's no attendant. I also read that for $10 I can store my bag somewhere with an attendant for the day.

Questions:

Is my info about bag storage accurate? If not, what is the actual situation there?

Is the $10 storage close to the ML, so when I get in from sightseeing it will be easy to get my bag and then hang out in the lounge?

Also, what dining options are close to the ML? Not fast-food - and something special would be a bonus. For the sake of discussion, assume money is "almost" not a factor.

Thank you.

Lou Mitchell's - about 1-1/2 blocks west on Jackson St is open for breakfast & lunch. It's my go to place for breakfast when I'm passing thru CUS.

Giordano's (pizza) is a popular place too. It's about 2 blocks east on Jackson.

The ML bag storage is now the same as other MLs and Club Acela. I have left my bags in unattended storage at Club Acela in Penn Station, Club Acela in Washington, Metropolitan Lounge in LA, and even in the old Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago before they started having the Red Cap attended room. No issue with that and no problem anywhere.

There is an attendant at the front desk right in front of where you leave your baggage in the Metropolitan Lounge and the storage area is under camera surveillance. It's self-service, but seems pretty safe.

When I was there 2 months ago, I left my bags there for about 6 hours and while most of the time I was in the lounge, did get outside a few times. I wouldn't leave a laptop there, but other stuff is probably fine.

I also have no problem leaving my bags in the luggage room in the ML.

It is right next to the attendant's desk, and you need to check in first before you can place your bags in there. Thus, there is a low chance that someone from outside would go in that room. It's the same in other locations.

Given the choice of paying $xx for luggage storage or paying $-0- to store it in the ML and using that savings on your trip, I'd chose to store it in the ML!

Word to the wise, I was in Lou Mitchell's last week and it might be a bit difficult if you have mobility problems - tight booths and washroom in the basement. I personally don't think it's all that, but it wasn't terrible either (I guess I'm a food snob).

I was in Union Station the other day and the public storage lockers were not available due to construction of what looks to be a new baggage area. The metropolitan or legacy lounge should work good for luggage storage however. By the way the metropolitan lounge has some real nice classic railroad photos on the walls if you take the elevator to the second floor. As far as restaurants go, tonight one of my church groups is having a get-together at Carnivale Chicago which is a fun Latin American place from what i hear. This will be my first time but one of the guys from the group works there and just got his sommelier certification so i think it would be a safe bet if you like that type of food. The map is showing .8 miles from union station so a cab might be in order if that is too far to walk. http://www.carnivalechicago.com/restaurant/

The $10 bag storage option is at the ticket window, specifically the bag check counter.

"Temporary Bag Storage

Customers holding tickets for travel may store their items in Parcel Check service when available for $5.00 per item per 24 hours.

At New York Penn Station, Washington Union Station, Chicago Union Station and Philadelphia 30th Street Station, the fee is $10.00 per item per 24 hours."

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been some posts on Facebook page about baggage being taken from the free storage area in Chicago the last few weeks. Some people say you can lock your bag to the rack with a bicycle lock.

I use the ML regularly and always leave my luggage in the luggage room and then I leave the building sometime for hours and have never felt uncomfortable with my bags in the free storage room. I do lock my large bag since I usually have my laptop in that bag since I do not plan to use it on the train. I have never felt the need to lock the luggage to the luggage racks with a bicycle lock. The paid parcel check is not close to the new lounge or the relocated ticket counter but in the area you check in luggage near the old ticket counters. You luggage in the lounge storage is just as safe as the luggage you leave in the lower level superliner baggage racks on the train.

I have put my bags in the baggage areas in LAX ML, CHI ML, WAS Acela Lounge, NYP Lounge, BOS Lounge. Never was I concerned, nor have I heard oft any issues. Out of general practice from flying, I have TSA locks on everything. I do wear a backpack with critical needs items.

i have left baggage in the storage room in the ML lounge in Chicago. i carry a lock and cable I got via Amazon and have locked up my luggage to one of the supports for the shelves in the storage area. i probably didn't need it but just to be safe since i carry video equipment in my luggage.

If I were determined to steal something from luggage (either in the ML, in the CA or on the train itself), I would be much more interested in a bag chained to the shelf! I'd say to myself, "There must be some valuables in that bag, otherwise why would it be chained to the shelf - the other 150 bags are not!"

Back