CVS-->WIL-->NYP (part 3)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburden

Train Attendant
Saturday March 4, 2023 - 4pm-ish

I'm overlooking the Moynihan Train Hall on the balcony of the Metro Lounge at NYP as I type this. I just arrived from WIL on Acela 2254 in first class. That is where they have been hiding all the 'train food'. But let's go back one day first. Yesterday I caught a NE Regional from CVS to WIL in Business class. One passenger in Charlottesville didn't make the train. He was running across the parking lot just as we started rolling. The ride was comfortable with a few delays south of WAS, but we made up that time at Union Station so ended up at WIL on time. The weird thing was they never checked tickets until the train had departed WAS and a few passengers from Business class got off there. Were they in the right car? Who knows....

At the WAS station car #10005 was parked on a track next to us. That is a Catenary Measurement car. I couldn't see the
top of it, but the end of it was a little different than the regular ones.

Back to the Acela. This was the first time I've been on one and figured why not try First Class? I had a single seat
on the right side. My name was already on the back of the seat and within 5 minutes of sitting down I had an adult
beverage, water and a hot meal at my seat (stuffed chicken). We hit a top speed of 148mph during the run to NYP. I
unplugged my scanner so I could put in my headphones, recline and listen to some Jethro Tull as we flew through the
cities and country side at 100+mph.

My connection leaves at 5:15, the Empire Service to ALB, where my Fiat is probably buried under 3 feet of snow at this
point. I'll report on the final leg of my journey probably tomorrow....

I’m glad you had the nice Acela trip and are waiting in a comfortable lounge before you have to deal with snow in Albany.

Good memories to keep you going as you dig out the Fiat!

Safe travels the rest of the way—looking forward to reading about the last leg of your journey.

Back