Superliner trains' removal and restoration of cars (2022-2023)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And who's to blame for this Cluster Flub?

If you said Amtrak Management you Win the Grand Prize!( No offense to you, but things are getting Worse Daily @ Amtrak)

Every Department in Amtrak is in disarray, with Paying Customers being the one a who take the blows as the Suits continue to Cash their Bonus Checks as The Beat Goes On!
Sooo what next??? I have three trips now booked on the CZ going east for December, January, and February!!! In my hopeful mind I am thinking staffing and equipment issues will be resolved by then? BTW am my rooms on that segment are all high bucket... either I'm a real fool or ... maybe I am indeed just that!

Sooo what next??? I have three trips now booked on the CZ going east for December, January, and February!!! In my hopeful mind I am thinking staffing and equipment issues will be resolved by then? BTW am my rooms on that segment are all high bucket... either I'm a real fool or ... maybe I am indeed just that!
Stay tuned, the Rumours are flying about 3 and 5 day Schedules, Diner and Sleeper removals, Cancellations and more Schedule " Improvemnts" for LD Routes ( see the Crescent).

And the Beat Goes On as Nero plays his Fiddle!

Speaking of the CZ and current situation... I've never seen it this bad... snap shots taken today, AUG 15 at 1:10 PST... two eastbound 5's sitting on the tracks... one running 14 hours late. Equipment problems? Two in a row???

View attachment 29229
Some part of the track between Green River and SLC was washed out. 5 became 6 and 6 became 5, they are putting people on a bus to get through the affected area.

I think this is more about short staffing. They are squeezing things right now to try to meet summer demand which is likely straining the employees with minimal extra boards. This is likely to relieve the strain on the limited staff while hiring countinues. I think a good strategy for now on Superliner. Trains is to always shoot for the base sleeper. The problem out west seems to be a mix of mechanical shops (particularly Chicago with the many trains it has to service) and On board service staff more so than T&E.
They are pulling sleeper cars for trips in Oct as well. 11Oct2022 departure for us, gone now.

They are pulling sleeper cars for trips in Oct as well. 11Oct2022 departure for us, gone now.
Train 5/6?

They likely pulled the 32 car line until at least the holidays all at the same time. They just didn't notify you immediately. That is what they did with the Builder. They cancelled the second sleeper in May through at least the end of the year, but didn't notify people until shortly before their travel dates, some as little as a week. At least they gave you more notice than that.

At this point, anyone in 532/632 from mid to late August on should assume their sleeper has been cancelled. The best way I know to know for sure prior to the official notification is to look at your reservation in the app. If the QR code is gone, your reservation has been likely cancelled. That appears to show up almost as soon as the inventory is yanked. In that case, call immediately, you may get in front of the crowd for reaccommodation and have a better chance at snagging something in the remaining car for your travel date or an alternative.

While I am in the "base" sleepers for my November trip, I am checking every few days, just in case. Especially if Amtrak decides to violate the law again and go to less than daily.

Here’s a question for what it’s worth: Let’s say you have a confirmed reservation for a bedroom in a long-distance train’s first sleeper (for example, the 330 Car on SWC No. 3.) Knowing that it is unlikely this car will be removed from the consist, you decide to forgo your trip and allow a family member or close friend to have that bedroom in your place. How would you go about transferring that bedroom to them without losing it to someone else?

Here’s a question for what it’s worth: Let’s say you have a confirmed reservation for a bedroom in a long-distance train’s first sleeper (for example, the 330 Car on SWC No. 3.) Knowing that it is unlikely this car will be removed from the consist, you decide to forgo your trip and allow a family member or close friend to have that bedroom in your place. How would you go about transferring that bedroom to them without losing it to someone else?
Call. They might be able to do it, particularly the more knowledgeable and experienced AGR agents. Might trigger price change to current bucket, though.

Don't even think about trying to do it on the website.

The Texas Eagle has October 2022 roomette reservations. Does the TE have a dining car and viewliner car all the way through?
The Texas Eagle had no dining car and no Sightseer Lounge car between Chicago and San Antonio. Others who have ridden the train lately can probably provide more information. Some of us are avoiding the Texas Eagle because of the downgrading of its amenities.

The Texas Eagle has October 2022 roomette reservations. Does the TE have a dining car and viewliner car all the way through?
The Eagle does not have a Sightseer Lounge or dining car. Flex meals are provided in a diner/lounge.

Through Eagle passengers use the Sunset's diner with traditional dining service and a Sightseer Lounge between Los Angeles and San Antonio.

The Eagle does not have a Sightseer Lounge or dining car. Flex meals are provided in a diner/lounge.

Through Eagle passengers use the Sunset's diner with traditional dining service and a Sightseer Lounge between Los Angeles and San Antonio.
421 is a better choice than 422. If you are going from Chicago to LA,you'll have the much superior(sightseer car,traditional dining) ride to look forward to after San Antonio. On 422,the downgrade is striking,plus there is a good chance you will miss the connection and will be bussed. Always pleasant being chased from your room very early in the morning.

The Texas Eagle had no dining car and no Sightseer Lounge car between Chicago and San Antonio. Others who have ridden the train lately can probably provide more information. Some of us are avoiding the Texas Eagle because of the downgrading of its amenities.
Today's (15 Aug) #22 has a dining car as seen here at Big Sandy, Texas. No SSL though.
I usually see a dining car when I view the TE here.

Screenshot 2022-08-15 185853.png

Screenshot 2022-08-15 190039.png

Today's (15 Aug) #22 has a dining car as seen here at Big Sandy, Texas. No SSL though.
Thanks for posting that. So the Texas Eagle does have a dining car but it does not have traditional dining, is that correct?
If so, I guess it probably should be called a "Flex Meal Car."

View attachment 29234

View attachment 29235
That is a diner/lounge, rebuilt from a diner and looking the same externally.

The Texas Eagle serves only reheated flex meals, despite the fact that the diner/lounges retain a full Superliner diner galley downstairs.

Last edited:
When all the talk about how much money would be going to Amtrak and upgrading of the cars and diners, I was really thinking of taking another trip long distance. But these unacceptable downgrades of service are really a huge disappointment. I guess I will still not be going rail any distance, my guess is Amtrak doesn't really give a hoot.

That is a diner/lounge, rebuilt from a diner and looming the same externally.

The Texas Eagle serves only reheated flex meals, despite the fact that the diner/lounges retain a full Superliner diner galley downstairs.
Also, the Diner/Lounge is NOT a Diner Lounge since most of the Eaglette Crews make you eat in your Rooms( Sleeping Car Passengers) , and Coach Passengers have Very Short Periods where the One LSA ( most of the time they're busy with Sleeper Meals)opens the Cafe end of the Car and then they must go back to their Seats to eat and drink!🤬

Speaking of the CZ and current situation... I've never seen it this bad... snap shots taken today, AUG 15 at 1:10 PST... two eastbound 5's sitting on the tracks... one running 14 hours late. Equipment problems? Two in a row???

View attachment 29229
Not equipment problems. Wash out in Utah. CZ has had some bad luck this summer. While there have been some Chicago mech issues the UP is in full meltdown which is the majority of it.

It seems that the sleeper cancellation issues are (at least for now) limited to the Superliners. That would indicate that equipment shortages, not OBS shortages, are the major issue. Remember we have deferred maintenance over the COVID period, cars out of service allegedly for refurbishment, and two major derailments where I expect legal will hold the cars out of service until all litigation is resolved.

If management were competent (note the use of the subjective) they would be working with Siemens now on a new sleeping car to put into the production pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back