CZ back?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was in the metropolitan lounge at LAUS this morning and the attendant verified it's running today. How long is anybody's guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per trainorders, a UP Flanger? got stuck up in the mountains. Trainorders reported it is now unstuck and CZ 5 westbound has priority to pass over the mountain. Apparently CZ 6/21 has the same problem and both will be several hours late across the Sierras. Conclusion: problem was not with the CZ's but Union Pacific snow removal equipment stuck some how. Not being a knowledgeable person as to railroad equipment that is about all I can report.

Something sort of new is going on. After all the trains were on the maps, these two had a new Service Disruption:

5(19) at 4.10 p.m. EST

6(21) at 5.58 p.m. EST

jb
Yes John, I agree. The timetables are showing no stops between SLC and RNO so I assume it is running an alternative route, probably the Lucin cutoff is back in service but I would bet that service goes away again with the bad weather we are experiencing right now. It occurred to me that maybe they are currently running a bus bridge between SLC and RNO?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5 that departed Reno actually "originated" in Reno from a set of equipment trapped in Reno when the SLC to Reno tracks were washed out. This information is per Trainorders. Yesterday's 5 that arrived last night in SLC did turn and became today's 6 departing SLC to CHI. A third set that has been in Oakland all this time was the 6/21 that departed Emeryville this morning. Both that 6 and the 5 that originated in Reno are now involved in Service Interuption between Truckee and Colfax due to only one track being opened across the Sierra's today(second track covered by heavy snow). And that one track was closed until a stuck UP Flanger was unstuck late this afternoon.

To answer a question not asked: No train traveled SLC to Reno last night. Tonight's 5 that departed Chicago yesterday 2/20 will be the first train through SLC to Reno westbound. Eventually the 6/21 that departed EMY today will be the first eastbound Reno to SLC once it clears the service disruption between Colfax and Truckee. I got all this info from multiple Trainorders topics.

The 5 that departed Reno actually "originated" in Reno from a set of equipment trapped in Reno when the SLC to Reno tracks were washed out. This information is per Trainorders. Yesterday's 5 that arrived last night in SLC did turn and became today's 6 departing SLC to CHI. A third set that has been in Oakland all this time was the 6/21 that departed Emeryville this morning. Both that 6 and the 5 that originated in Reno are now involved in Service Interuption between Truckee and Colfax due to only one track being opened across the Sierra's today(second track covered by heavy snow). And that one track was closed until a stuck UP Flanger was unstuck late this afternoon.

To answer a question not asked: No train traveled SLC to Reno last night. Tonight's 5 that departed Chicago yesterday 2/20 will be the first train through SLC to Reno westbound. Eventually the 6/21 that departed EMY today will be the first eastbound Reno to SLC once it clears the service disruption between Colfax and Truckee. I got all this info from multiple Trainorders topics.
I did wonder if there were train sets trapped on the western side. Thanks to your input it is stating to make sense. Thank You!

KCRA reports this morning on the their 7am and 8am Newscasts that the Amtrak out of Roseville has been stuck west of Truckee all night. A customer on the the train contacted KCRA, and sent a photo of folks sleeping on the the train. KCRA reached to Amtrak, and were told the delay was due to backed up freight traffic. Bty, the Truckee web cam was out of service this morning. It was working okay last night, however.

KCRA reports this morning on the their 7am and 8am Newscasts that the Amtrak out of Roseville has been stuck west of Truckee all night. A customer on the the train contacted KCRA, and sent a photo of folks sleeping on the the train. KCRA reached to Amtrak, and were told the delay was due to backed up freight traffic. Bty, the Truckee web cam was out of service this morning. It was working okay last night, however.
The eastbound CZ that spent all night in the Sierra Nevada is now in Salt Lake City -- running 20 hours late.

There is another eastbound CZ behind it a bit east of Reno and running 5 hours late.

Westbound CZ's approaching Salt Lake City and Omaha are both running very close to on time at the moment.

Back