CZ Colorado trip in spring/summer - avoiding Wyoming detour...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been thinking about taking a trip to Colorado (Glenwood Springs specifically) in spring or summer on the Zephyr - went there before . I’d either take a roomette all the way from Chicago (connecting from the Wolverine) or perhaps just fly to Denver and take the Zephyr from there depending on how roomette pricing compares to a flight/hotel in Denver. Granted, I would miss out on the east of DEN route, though I’ve done it all before, and Illinois/Iowa/Nebraska isn’t must-see territory. On the return, I may look at taking the train eastbound to SLC (as that is the one Zephyr segment I’ve never done) and flying home from there (as going back by train would mean a 3:30am departure).

From past experience, it seems that there are usually a few weeks where the train detours through Wyoming during this time period, and thus does not stop at GSC. My goal would be to avoid planning a trip that falls during any such detour. How far in advance is notice usually given for these, and is there usually a set time period these can fall during? I’d hate to book only to find out I’m riding a bus (or worse, have “no alternate transportation”), and find it difficult to change plans. Of course the flight would be riskier than doing all-Amtrak, though roomette prices may make that option more attractive (and I’d get the opportunity to ride the A-Line from DEN airport, something I’ve never done before). Also, it would be easier to do the DEN-SLC segment that way given the return timetable...

From past experience, it seems that there are usually a few weeks where the train detours through Wyoming during this time period, and thus does not stop at GSC. My goal would be to avoid planning a trip that falls during any such detour. How far in advance is notice usually given for these, and is there usually a set time period these can fall during
Typically, the notice only comes when the host railroads provide the actual notice. It could be weeks in advance or it could be a few days in advance.  This particular detour  ran from early September to mid-October in 2017 and early October to mid-October in 2016.  I don't believe there was a detour in 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likewise, I reserve my CZ trips early and try to keep the date away from maintenance times.  But the maintenance dates fall all over the summer and fall calendar.

Here's what I have in my files for CZ detours.  The dates are not exact.  Also, I must have missed notices of the 2016 detours.  Go with Thirdrail7's dates for 2016.

2004    June 6-14     June 22-29   July 7-14      July 22-29
2005    Sept 1-7        Sept 16-23    Oct 1-8         Oct 16-23          Nov 1-4
2006    no summer detours
2007    July 10-11    July 15-18    July 22-25    July 29-Aug 1    Aug 5-8
2008    May 23-30    June 8-15
2009    June 30-July 8    July 15-23    July 31-Aug 8    Aug 15-23    Aug 31-Sept 8    Sept 15-23
2010    no summer detours   (but 1 hour delays April 8-14, April 23-30, May 8-15 for maintenance)
2011    no summer detours   (but lots and lots of cancellations due to flooding)
2012    May 16-22    June 1-7
2013    June 16-23    bustitution for work on Donner Pass only - train still ran on schedule on regular route Chicago-Reno.
2014    May 19-26    reroute through Wyoming - train still runs on schedule Chicago-Emeryville.  emergency hill stabilization at Kremmling
2015    May 16-22    Jun 1-8    reroute through Wyoming - train still ran on schedule Chicago-Emeryville
2016    no summer detours noted (Thirdrail7 says early-mid October)
2017    Sep 6-Oct 9    half of these days are schedule changes by 4½ hours, half are reroutes through Wyoming
2018    no summer detours

Back