CZ Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaving Chicago on 5 in sleeping car 0532 on Sept 11. Will it be last car in consist?

Unless there are still three sleepers. If there are three sleepers 533 will be the last sleeper. Not sure when the third "summer season" sleeper is removed.

Unless there are still three sleepers. If there are three sleepers 533 will be the last sleeper. Not sure when the third "summer season" sleeper is removed.
Unless something changes, the third sleeper will be removed by then.
Since I don't know what it means "unless something changes", when is: "third sleeper usually removed"? It's still summer until around Sept. 22.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at AU member Agent's CZ videos (A. Train on YouTube), last year there were 3 sleepers on the CZ on September 14, 2 sleepers on September 19.

September 19, 2015 was a Saturday.

In the Northern hemisphere the Autumn equinox is September 22 this year.

Last year it was on the 23rd.

Leaving Chicago on 5 in sleeping car 0532 on Sept 11. Will it be last car in consist?
If it really matters, just call Amtrak and request a reservation for car 0533. If not available, then 0532 will be last sleeper. If available, 0533 will be the last sleeper.

Just to "play with you", if the sleepers are moved back to the front by then(not likely), 0533, 0532, and 0531 then the dining car will follow behind the crew transition sleeper. I'll be riding in October and will enjoy the ride no matter where my sleeper is.

you might not want to post your travel date, or car number, just a note from what the administrative peope on here

If any private cars are attached to your train, they will be on the rear.

Unless something changes, the third sleeper will be removed by then.
Since I don't know what it means "unless something changes", when is: "third sleeper usually removed"? It's still summer until around Sept. 22.

As pointed out, there is no "usually." It depends on their plan and as indicated, unless something changes (meaning the operating plan) the third sleeper will not be an issue.

Sleeper Alert! California Zephyr Train 5 (9/7/2016) just departed Chicago with ONLY Two Sleepers so this may be the official conversion to only two sleepers for the remainder of 2016. Actually observed the train departing on Railstream Cams. Railstream is a paid cam site. In this configuration sleeper 532 will be the last car on the train as long as the sleepers remain at the end of the train.

For reference, here is Amtrak #5(06) last evening at Agency, Iowa with three sleeping cars.

So it looks like they eliminated the 3rd sleeper from the consist about a week earlier than last year.
​It could be a bad order car was removed out the consist last minute and Chicago didn't have a spare ready to go? One swallow doesn't make a summer as we say in the UK and one train with just 2 sleepers doesn't mean its been dropped for winter already, we'd need to know what the consist was on the 8th and 9th to be fairly certain, but with Amtrak even if you had a week with only 2 sleepers I wouldn't bet against a 3rd being added again lol

I confirmed on both the 8th and 9th the Zephyr operated with only 2 sleepers. Evidence is Railstream and also You Tube videos by Agent. Low season in USA most places begins after Labor Day. This year September 5 was Labor Day. Amtrak will during the "off seasons" add back a sleeper and maybe a coach during holidays periods if travel demand exists.

Interestingly, Amtrak #5 departing Chicago today 9/10 had only two sleepers but it also had four engines and ten private cars. My prediction is that train will lose time all the way to California. In August 2014 I rode the CZ pulling 5 private cars and we lost almost five hours getting to Emeryville and got the special beef stew dinner as did all the coach passengers who were served before the sleeper passengers.. Biggest time lost was entering and departing Denver so it would be interesting to see how the CZ manages 10 private cars in Denver tomorrow.

Interestingly, Amtrak #5 departing Chicago today 9/10 had only two sleepers but it also had four engines and ten private cars. My prediction is that train will lose time all the way to California. In August 2014 I rode the CZ pulling 5 private cars and we lost almost five hours getting to Emeryville and got the special beef stew dinner as did all the coach passengers who were served before the sleeper passengers.. Biggest time lost was entering and departing Denver so it would be interesting to see how the CZ manages 10 private cars in Denver tomorrow.
The private cars and probably the extra locomotives will be coming off at Denver, for the aaprco special train to Spokane, Washington.

The private cars and probably the extra locomotives will be coming off at Denver, for the aaprco special train to Spokane, Washington.
Looks like #5 is near on time

What is aaprco? My personal experience with Amtrak hauling PV is mostly negative...

Aaprco -- OK if they pay for the extra locos and don't delay the train -- OK .

We'll see if #5 makes Denver on time.

Looks like #5 is near on time

What is aaprco? My personal experience with Amtrak hauling PV is mostly negative...

Aaprco -- OK if they pay for the extra locos and don't delay the train -- OK .

We'll see if #5 makes Denver on time.

The train arrived DEN 30" down and departed 27" down. Not too bad, but there is still plenty of railroad between DEN and EMY.

PS: There third sleeper is history as I previously hinted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back