CZ -Den to PDX or PDX to Den

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to schedule a quickie one zone, long weekend trip in January where I am flying to and from my beginning end points. I am using Den and Pdx as my start /end points because I think IMO this is some of the most scenic routes that Amtrak offers. I have done a search on AU for which way to go. I know this topic has been beat to death.... but. Which way would you go Den to Pdx or Pdx to Den? Why? I plan on flying in/out the day before/after, so connection times aren't a problem.

I believe both directions will have daylight at similar times and points through your journey. Personally I'd say it depends on how long you'd like to wait for a connection in SAC. PDX to DEN, SB 11 gets in close to on time usually and EB 6 departs close to on-time. DEN to PDX, WB 5 usually gets into SAC up to an hour early and NB 14 often leaves SAC up to 1-3 hours late. So if the 12-hour or so wait doesn't bother you that can be a tough choice.

Just me, but I also look at the number of meals offered but that's more so on a paid trip. Either way you go I'm sure you will have beautiful scenery and an amazing trip!

Happy Holidays Tracey to you and the Family!! Id go West, it's always Good Advice to Follow the Sun, or as some Famous old Guy said "Go West Young Man, Go West!" With the Short Days you want to see the Mountains between Denver and GrandJunction in Daylight as well as the Sierra nevadas! Youll also get to see the Beautiful Cascades from Mt. Shasta North in Daylight, so that's what I would do! Jim

Def do Den to PDX if what you are interested in is the scenery. On the CZ, you will be going through the Rockies and the Sierra in the daytime, no matter which direction you go. But if you start in PDX, it will be dark very quickly, and just getting light when you get to SAC. If you are northbound on the CS, and you get up at first light, you can get a great view of Mt Shasta (weather permitting). The disadvantage is the long layover in SAC, complete with a couple hours when it's too late to do much but sit in the station. If you're willing to pay $4 per bag to check your carryons, and good at finding stuff to do and walking around, the daylight and early evening portion of the layover passes quickly.

I would prefer Denver to Portland...

1. Starting in Denver seems perfect - with the classic climb up the Front Range of he Colorado Rockies in daylight. Descending at night in the dark, and at the end of a trip would be sad to me - you miss the best part of the trip.

2. Donner Pass in the AM verses early afternoon - just thinking of delays. On the westbound - if you are 5 or 6 hours late you still have some daylight. The Eastbound passes there around 12 noon or so. It gets dark at 4 or 4:30 so you should be fine.

3. As I recall - I think I prefer changing trains in Sacramento in the daytime, rather than the early morning switch from the southbound Coast Starlight to the Eastbound CZ.

4. More daylight and scenery from the northbound Coast Starlight - verses southbound Coast Starlight in winter. As I recall you only have an hour or so daylight on the southbound version, but most of the day on the northbound trip. So go Denver to Portland.

I agree with the others - Denver to Portland. You start in the morning going west. Glenwood Canyon is fantastic for scenery.

No matter which way you go it will be dark when you are in SLC.

When you get to SAC check your bag(s) to the CS. Leave the station and walk to Old Town Sacramento and see the California Railroad Museum and maybe the Delta King riverboat. The State Capitol grounds and the Stanford Mansion are also within walking distance.

Be back at the station by 11PM to be safe. If on time, your train will leave at midnight.

You can check bags all day at the station for a fee.

DEN - PDX pro: the DEN to Winter Park segment is sure to be in the daytime, whereas in January, even if you are on time, it will be dark by the time you get to Denver east bound.

PDX - DEN pro: you avoid the 11:59PM if on time departure from SAC, although southbound 11's 6:15AM arrival if on time isn't that great either. But I think the odds are greater that 11 would be late than 14 on time.

Either way, you can improve the connection by changing in Davis, Martinez or Emeryville. My favorite is Davis when you have to layover going between the CZ and southbound CS. But you don't gain much changing in Davis going from the CZ to the northbound CS. So I've done EMY.

From Denver to Portland gives you a much better likelihood of seeing Mt. Shasta in daylight from the Coast Starlight -- definitely worth the view at all times of the year, since the peak is perpetually snow-capped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back