CZ from Reno, NV to Chicago and Chicago to Newbern, TN question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed on the Amtrak website when I tried to make a reservation on the CZ from Reno, NV to Newbern, TN on December 1, 2018 that it appears that I would have to get off the CZ at Galesburg, IL on December 3rd at 11:41 a.m., board a bus at 5:05 for Champaign-Urbana, and leave Champaign-Urbana at 10:34 on the City of New Orleans for Newbern, TN. I am not familiar with the fairly new Amtrak website so I don't know if I am reading the information wrong. I have always ridden the CZ from Reno to Chicago and caught the City of New Orleans there. I didn't see any notices this far in advance about track work in December that would prevent the CZ from going into Chicago. I hope someone can tell me whether there is a bustitution from Galesburg to Champaign-Urbana or not. I am hoping there isn't one because I don't think I'll book my trip if this is true.

The Galesburg connection is just one option and is offered but the CZ all the way to Chicago connecting to the CONO in Chicago is also an option and is the preferred option. If you are using Amtrak.com both options should be shown.

Sometimes when the CZ is running late Amtrak will have you get off in Galesburg and take the van to Champaign to make the connection if you would not arrive in Chicago in time to catch the CONO.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I have traveled the CZ to and from Reno numerous times and always gone into Chicago and caught the CONO. However, I must admit that the new Amtrak website is not user friendly for me. For me it has made it more difficult to use--but that's just my take on it.

Back