CZ late out of Emeryville August 4

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peteypablo

Train Attendant
I'm riding this train from Grand Junction to Chicago, connecting with the LSL to Buffalo. It still hasn't left Emeryville and is projected 6 hours 20 minutes late. The connection in Chicago allows 6 hours 40 minutes. If I miss the connection, is there a bustitution that kicks in to help us catch the LSL, or will it be a matter of staying overnight in Chicago and catching the next day's LSL without any sleeper car capacity?

The famous catch all answer: it depends. I have arrived Chicago, my destination, on a 6+ hour late Empire Builder, arriving just after 10 and they pulled us in right alongside the Lakeshore, and connecting passengers made it fine. But if your train becomes much later, then probably not.

Don't forget there is time built in the schedule to make up for delays, so as long as you were lucky on the rest of the trip, you'd be fine. Otherwise, they may hold the LSL depending on how late your train is. Not sure about bus bridges in the Chicago area, and I'm no expert on the mid-west region.

As for the cause, I'm not sure what is causing it, but south bound San Joaquins have been showing service disruption status, so I'm guessing something interesting is going on out there.

They say there's a problem with the dining car they are working on in Emeryville. And now the app says it arrived in the station at 2:45 pm. Departure is still not reported. This could be an interesting trip. :unsure:

It ended up leaving Emeryville almost seven hours late. If it made up time we are okay, but no Zephyr in the past month has been early into Chicago.

I don't think you will need to worry about being early! Hopefully you will make up some time. Enjoy the trip- always an adventure. Bust think you'll get to see Soldier Summit by daylight!

I don't think you will need to worry about being early! Hopefully you will make up some time. Enjoy the trip- always an adventure. Bust think you'll get to see Soldier Summit by daylight!
I'm getting on east of Soldier Summit. Not to worry, I see it plenty from the highway. I know it's not quite the same.

asm.transitdocs.com currently projects your train will arrive GJT tomorrow 4.5 hrs late and will make up an additional 3 hrs before arrival in CHI on Saturday.

asm.transitdocs.com currently projects your train will arrive GJT tomorrow 4.5 hrs late and will make up an additional 3 hrs before arrival in CHI on Saturday.
If all the stars and planets align...

Unfortunately the trend is and the saying goes 'Late trains get later'

Although you are boarding later, One will be able to see all of Soldier Summit in the daylight on this train. It's a nice ride up the hill from Spanish Fork. 4 is running about 7 hrs late so going to be iffy connecting to LSL.

My experience with a missed connection last month in Chicago was very well handled by Amtrak. Hotel, food, reaccommodated on next day's train. At least in this case Amtrak has quite a bit of time to plan for the late Zephyr. Try to enjoy your trip!

#6(04) was seven hours and twenty-two minutes late when it came through Agency, Iowa. It was running on the left track so it could pass an eastbound BNSF train later down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back