Dallas Station 04/08/18 (Recommendations)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Wolfgang Puck Joints and Hyatt Cafes are to rich for your budget, right next door to Union Station is Cindis Deli, a New York Style Deli with reasonable prices and good food!

If you want to explore Dallas,DART will take you all over Dallas right from Union Station. Dallas literally has hundreds of eating places within a Short ride.

Google up info on the West end Tourist area and the McKinney Ave District which has a Trolley running on the Avenue.

Two blocks away from Union Station is Dealy Plaza with the Grassy Knoll and Railroad Overpass, ( the Eagles Cross the Trestle here) and the Book Depository Museum where JFK was shot.Definotely worth a Visit for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Sunday April 8th, 2018 Connections from Union Station on the Free D-Link Shuttle

http://www.dart.org/dlink/dlink.asp

Houston Street runs in front of Union Station, and that's where you'll hop on the Free D-Link Shuttle to the West End area where there are numerous Restaurants. https://www.dallaswestend.org/explore/dining/

At the bottom of that page is a Google Map that already has the restaurants noted in the Downtown area...

The D-Link Shuttle now runs on Sundays. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes. So, you'll go North on the D-Link from Houston Street and then you'll take a right on Ross Ave going East to the West End area.

The JFK Sixth Floor Museum is open Sundays, if that's something you'd like to explore. It's on the D-Link route a short distance from Union Station before you get to the West End. https://www.jfk.org/

I hope you have some beautiful weather for your short stopover in Dallas!

Thanks everyone! We are going to be at the KOA campground in Shreveport with the RV and just a short hop to Longview,TX (LVW) so we decided to spend Sunday riding the Texas Eagle to Dallas and back. Not only sounded fun but maybe learn something about Amtrak and riding the train before our long trip in May. We also depart from LVW station for that trip as well. Again thanks everyone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+

Thanks everyone! We are going to be at the KOA campground in Shreveport with the RV and just a short hop to Longview,TX (LVW) so we decided to spend Sunday riding the Texas Eagle to Dallas and back. Not only sounded fun but maybe learn something about Amtrak and riding the train before our long trip in May. We also depart from LVW station for that trip as well. Again thanks everyone.

You'll find lots of tips and tricks on this site, particularly if you're riding in a sleeper.

You'll find lots of tips and tricks on this site, particularly if you're riding in a sleeper.
So many have helped since joining from Guest Rewards to train info. We will be in bedrooms when traveling the May/June trip. We depart Longview, Texas(LVW) and the train part of the trip will be Texas Eagle, Empire Builder, Coastal Starlight and again Texas Eagle back to Longview.

So many have helped since joining from Guest Rewards to train info. We will be in bedrooms when traveling the May/June trip. We depart Longview, Texas(LVW) and the train part of the trip will be Texas Eagle, Empire Builder, Coastal Starlight and again Texas Eagle back to Longview.

Wow.... that sounds like The Grand Tour !!!

I did something like that, only it was part rail, and other part was air, in 1981.

I flew from Dallas to Minneapolis and took the EB to Seattle then the CS to LA, and then flew from LA back to Dallas.

My only stay over was in LA for a few days.

This is a trip I have promised my wife for many years and now have time away from business take her.

We have 7 night stay in Montana to see family and a friend and to visit Yellowstone. 3 nights in Seattle with family and 7 day Alaska cruise from there s well. Other off train nights just overnight hotel connections in Chicago & Los Angeles.

If you arrive late, watch your time, and adjust accordingly. I was there in November, and I enjoyed the 6th Floor Museum, but it can be crowded and they only let so many in at a time, check out getting reservations/tickets online on your way to Dallas.

We've been looking at the restaurants and the D-Link. I think what we may do is catch the D-Link to the West End and find someplace to eat and depending on how much time that takes maybe come right on back to the station.

If Wolfgang Puck Joints and Hyatt Cafes are to rich for your budget, right next door to Union Station is Cindis Deli, a New York Style Deli with reasonable prices and good food!
A strong second for Cindi's (note they are closed on Monday). From time to time I will take a run to FTW from Norman on the Heartland Flyer, then take TRE over to Dallas Union, toss down a quick lunch at Cindi's then head back home. It makes for a nice day trip.

I also recommend Cindi's. I had a wonderful lunch there after arriving on the TE a few years ago. The tuna melt was delicious.

Train little over hour and half late leaving Longview, TX LVW so have less time in Dallas before leaving at 3:40 back to Longview but enjoying the train ride. We will walk to Cindi's to eat in Dallas. Have been wandering and exploring the train while we travel.

Ate at Cindi's restaurant and indeed the was very good there. Very surprised though at Dallas Union Station Men's Room condition. Restroom was nasty, no soap or even soap dispensers or towels or towel dispensers20180408_152121.jpg in the entire room.

It's a pretty busy DART light rail station during the week, and has TRE service also. It is actually owned by the City of Dallas, and I'm pretty sure they do the maintenance. I believe Amtrak is just a tenant. When I was there in November, I thought it was pretty dreary inside for what is actually a fairly good looking building outside. Glad the trip went well.

It's a pretty busy DART light rail station during the week, and has TRE service also. It is actually owned by the City of Dallas, and I'm pretty sure they do the maintenance. I believe Amtrak is just a tenant. When I was there in November, I thought it was pretty dreary inside for what is actually a fairly good looking building outside. Glad the trip went well.
Yes, it's owned by the City of Dallas.

union-station-postcard_1916.jpg

http://txrrhistory.com/depots/DEF/Dallas/DallasUnion.htm

https://flashbackdallas.com/category/transportation/railroads/

Dallas Union Station, officially Eddie Bernice Johnson Union Station, is also known as Dallas Union Terminal. It serves DART Light Rail, Trinity Railway Express commuter rail, and Amtrak intercity rail.

The Union Terminal Company constructed the Dallas Union Terminal, as Union Station was originally called, in 1916 to consolidate five rail stations scattered around Dallas into one, making Dallas a major transportation center in the Southwestern United States. At the peak of its usage, as many as 80 trains stopped each day at the station.

The last regular passenger train operated by a private railroad departed the terminal on May 31, 1969, and the Union Terminal Company was abandoned as of March 13, 1974. The headhouse and other facilities were sold to the City of Dallas. Amtrak service began on March 14, 1974 with the Inter-American between St. Louis and Laredo; the train evolved into today's Texas Eagle. In October 2016, the station was renamed the Eddie Bernice Johnson Union Station in honor of US. Representative Eddie Bernice Johnson.

From Wiki

Back