Dallas Union Station Name Changed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Conductor
I was updating my Dart Go Pass app, and selecting some favorite stops, and when the Dart app pulled up the stop number for Union Station, I wasn't sure if I had the right stop. It said EBJ UNION STATION. So I looked it up on the Dart site and found this article from April 2019 announcing the name change to the station. https://www.dart.org/incs/newsincs/stationrenaming11apr19.asp

The DART board voted to rename Union Station in Dallas to EBJ Union Station in honor of US Representative Eddie Bernice Johnson. Johnson has been a major proponent for DART and public transportation. On April 6 the City of Dallas voted to rename the physical property of Union Station to Eddie Bernice Johnson Union Station. The station is served by DART, TRE and Amtrak.

Amtrak has also updated some of it's references to include the new name change: Dallas, TX - Eddie Bernice Johnson Union Station (DAL) | Amtrak

Unlike sports venues, I doubt anyone knows (or cares [except perhaps family members]) about station's being renamed. And the only reason the sports venues new name 'sticks', is because I believe the broadcaster's are required by contract, to use only the new names...

It's also less controversial than many other cases since they aren't taking away another person's name, or something that a large part of the public would consider having some special significance. In sports stadiums, lots of money changes hands for naming rights, having the name pshed is reasonable. It's just another form of advertising.

It's also less controversial than many other cases since they aren't taking away another person's name, or something that a large part of the public would consider having some special significance. In sports stadiums, lots of money changes hands for naming rights, having the name pshed is reasonable. It's just another form of advertising.
I know...I still call Citifield, "Shea"...and it's not even the same structure....;)😄

Back