Damaged cafe car on Silver Star 91

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
The cafe car on today's (1/11/22) 91 had a pipe leak/burst and they are unable to open it for safety reasons. Maintenance boarded the train when we were in PHL and attempted to fix the problem and were not successful. I am not sure what is being done for the coach passengers who may be hungry and thirsty (but I am curious). I am in a sleeper, so I will be fed.
Will they try to fix in WAS? Will they try to add a NEC cafe car to the consist in WAS? Will they order food and drink for the coach passengers to be delivered to the train? I guess I will find out.

We are running a few minutes late heading to BAL. I have a feeling we will be losing a lot of time in WAS.

More later....

I agree with Steve, they should be able to fix it during the layover in WAS or should have a spare available @ Washington,even if it's just a Coach they could load with food and drink for the Coach Passengers.

We left WAS virtually on time. As of now, I have no idea if the pipe was fixed. I have heard no announcements either way. I know that there was not enough time to add another car. Maybe not enough time to fix something. I plan to go to the dining car for a cup of hot tea so I will try to find out.

We left WAS virtually on time. As of now, I have no idea if the pipe was fixed. I have heard no announcements either way. I know that there was not enough time to add another car. Maybe not enough time to fix something. I plan to go to the dining car for a cup of hot tea so I will try to find out.
Glad you're on time, perhaps they'll serve Coach Passengers out of the Diner ( CCC) like they do on the Eaglette,CONO and Cap if they weren't able to fix the Cafe/Lounge Car!

Glad you're on time, perhaps they'll serve Coach Passengers out of the Diner ( CCC) like they do on the Eaglette,CONO and Cap if they weren't able to fix the Cafe/Lounge Car!
It was not fixed. I think they will have the cafe attendant serve cafe food out of the cafe side of the dining car (but not sure). I think coach passengers are quite upset.

At least there's 2 LSAs on the Train unlike the poor Staff on the Orphan Trains that make 1 LSA serve Speeper Passengers their Meals as well as run the Cafe in their " Spare Time".

Keep us updated, it'll be good to get back to where it's warm I'm sure!😉

Somehow they managed to stabilize things enough to open half of the cafe. I walked through there not too long ago and figured it would be slammed, but it was not. I am finishing dinner now and will walk through again to see how things are going. I am pleased that they managed to work things out to provide food to coach passengers on a very long trip.

This shouldn't be a problem. Per the Service Standards Manual:

Complete water failure in a Lounge car will require handwashing be performed in adjoining car with glove use for all food handling/preparation services. If available, bottled water or an unplugged 36 cup coffee maker can be used as a temporary substitute for a handwashing sink. All efforts should be made to utilize prepackaged foods and avoid dispensing ice if water is not available. If cold water is available, service can continue.

This shouldn't be a problem. Per the Service Standards Manual:

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a cafe car attendant wash hands before dispensing ice or heating food after handling money, etc. So doesn’t seem like this would be a big issue anyways. Haha.

Back