Dec. 11-20 Service Alert for the #8/28

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce-C

Service Attendant
I just read of a service alert on Amrtak.com between Dec. 11-20 on the #8/28 for bridge work east of St. Paul - Minneapolis.

There will be no stops between St. Paul and Chicago while using the detour.

Any guess on the route or increase/decrease in the standard route time while using the detour

I will be on the Dec. 17th. #28 and have to make a connection to the LSL.

Thanks for your input.

The detour is nearly all 79 mph double track, with no stops. Theoretically the route could be up to 2 hours hours faster than the regular route, but as the dispatchers are under no obligation to help detouring passenger trains make up time you will probably move with the flow of freight traffic at 60 mph, arriving at about the same time as the regular-route train.

You may want to start watching status reports beginning on the 11th to see when the train actually gets in. If it gets in too late to miss your LSL connection (which is "guaranteed"), you may want to go a day earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to start watching status reports beginning on the 11th to see when the train actually gets in. If it gets in too late to miss your LSL connection (which is "guaranteed"), you may want to go a day earlier.
Yes, I'll have to watch the #28 arrival time in CHI. I might have to put in for a mini/day-late birthday party if the LSL connection is being missed or if an LSL connection at an earlier date is sold out.

Right now, I'm very hopeful because of anir's comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
The LSL is, I believe the last Amtrak train out of CUS in the evening. I made the connection on May 17. We were an hour late into CUS but had plenty of time to visit a restaurant up on Wells Street and walk back on Jackson Blvd. past the Willis Tower.

On the way back We sat in the Cleveland station from 10 PM when the station opened until dawn when the LSL finally showed up within a half hour after the westbound CL. They held the eastbound train until both westbound trains cleared the station.

I would be more concerned if I had to connect with the CONO or the CL.

I chose the LSL from CHI to CLE because I wanted to arrive in Cleveland at daybreak instead of the middle of the night.

The detour is nearly all 79 mph double track, with no stops. Theoretically the route could be up to 2 hours hours faster than the regular route, but as the dispatchers are under no obligation to help detouring passenger trains make up time you will probably move with the flow of freight traffic at 60 mph, arriving at about the same time as the regular-route train.
Do you know which route it's going to take? Ex-CB&Q?

That's what it looks like. Going back to its original routing for a bit...

Sounds good. I actually like the Burlington Route better.

Anyone has a map of this? Or what citiies it goes though?

You will go along the east bank of the Mississippi River between St. Paul and Savannah, IL. From there you will go cross country to Aurora, from there you will follow the same line as the CZ and Southwest Chief the rest of the way into Chicago.

Is the service disruption on #8 this AM related to this announcement? The EB was chugging along almost on time thru Detroit Lakes in MN yesterday then all of a sudden nothing and of course only a notice of Service Disruption on Amtrak's Status board.

:-(

You will go along the east bank of the Mississippi River between St. Paul and Savannah, IL. From there you will go cross country to Aurora, from there you will follow the same line as the CZ and Southwest Chief the rest of the way into Chicago.
Thanks for this!

Is the service disruption on #8 this AM related to this announcement? The EB was chugging along almost on time thru Detroit Lakes in MN yesterday then all of a sudden nothing and of course only a notice of Service Disruption on Amtrak's Status board.

:-(
Yes, it is due to the detour.

Whew--so how does one find out when the EB will arrive in Chicago then? Other than calling Amtrak?
AFAIK, you don't (other than calling Amtrak). Really nice job of computer programming, eh? Very occasionally the posting of the times comes back to life so it's just barely worth keeping an eye on Amstatus map. FWIW, I've seen it happen once this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back