Dedicated Sleeper Lounge/Waiting Area in Seattle?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
In September, I’m taking my parents on their first ever overnight train trip from Seattle to Los Angeles on the Starlight. Does Seattle have a lounge or dedicated waiting room for the sleepers? I know Portland does. My parents are always jealous because I always seem to travel first class like Snoopy! I get access to the ClubAcela and the Alaska Airlines VIP Lounge. I want them to experience First Class and the VIP Lounge like Snoopy. Any insights?

Attachments

• A1D7568E-0E59-4EFD-84DE-30BD96138542.png
    A1D7568E-0E59-4EFD-84DE-30BD96138542.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 9
When I was there in December 2019, there was an area for sleeper and business class. It was in the main waiting room and provided no perks.

https://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges
Staffed Lounges

Relax and enjoy comfortable, quiet lounge seating, complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, snacks and free WiFi. Attendants are available to assist with reservations, ticketing and local information. Features and amenities may vary by location.

Lounge Locations

Boston, MA - South Station
Metropolitan Lounge
  • Between the ticket office and the information booth
  • Open 5:30 am - 9:30 pm daily

Chicago, IL- Union Station
Metropolitan Lounge
  • Between the ticket office and the Great Hall
  • Open 6:00 am - 9:00 pm daily

Los Angeles, CA - Union Station
Metropolitan Lounge
  • Second floor, above the ticket office
  • Open 5:00 am - 10:00 pm daily
New York, NY - Moynihan Station
Metropolitan Lounge
  • Mezzanine level
  • Open 5:00 am to 9:30 pm Monday to Friday; 7:00 am to 9:00 pm Saturday and Sunday
Philadelphia, PA - William H Gray III 30th Street Station
Metropolitan Lounge
  • End of the hall behind stairway 1, then up the stairs
  • Open 6:30 am - 9:00 pm daily

Portland, OR - Union Station
Metropolitan Lounge
  • Inside the boarding area at gate 5
  • Open 9:30 am - 5:40 pm daily
Washington, DC - Union Station
ClubAcela
  • Behind the information booth, between gates D and E
  • Open 4:30 am - 9:30 pm Monday - Friday; 5:00 am - 9:30 pm Saturday - Sunday

Last edited:
Not in Seattle, but they do have one in LA (personally, I like the station in LA better than the lounge, one of the few!)

If you are connecting in LA you'll have access to the lounge, even if the connecting train isn't in a sleeper.
The LA lounge needs an upgrade, especially if the Eagle goes daily (if it ever does). It's small and old. Yet LA hosts one of Amtraks post popular lines outside the NEC, and three (technically four) LD trains.

Same here. The LA station and courtyards are so beautiful it’s a shame to waste time in the lounge!

I feel the same about Portland.
The Portland lounge was initiated by the station staff due to the number of people who make the Coast Starlight <> Empire Builder connections. While there is lots that people can do in midday in Portland, it rains sometimes and not everyone is prepared for it. As it has turned out, it is a valuable asset for the Business Class travel on the Cascade Corridor.

The Magnolia Room in NOL has nothing - in spite of three trains that leave - The SL (3X/week), the daily CONO and the daily Crescent.
When they start running to Mobile, that will be a fourth.

Sad.
I agree, NOL, along with Seattle needs a lounge. I think having a MIami, Tampa, and Orlando one would do well too.

The Magnolia Room in NOL has nothing - in spite of three trains that leave - The SL (3X/week), the daily CONO and the daily Crescent.

Sad.

To be fair nobody is changing trains in New Orleans. There is never a lack of seating in New Orleans Main Station anyways. I wonder if Catty Car Corner is still open next door.... *quick google* yes it is! I always grabbed lunch there before boarding the city.

It's interesting to see that even First Class Snoopy was listening to air-tube headphones once upon a time.

https://apex.aero/articles/sound-tube-surprising-history-airline-headsets/
The Coast Starlight is my favorite route and there is a sleeper lounge at LAUS but it's not much use Southbound.
Greyhound Lines had some of its Scenicruiser coaches equipped with individually tuned Motorola radio receiver's in the '50's. They used that type of sound-tube headset, which were sealed in plastic bags, and placed on each seat. They were primarily run on express trips between Miami and northern destinations...
I still have a set in my 'archives'....:cool:

Sad.
IIRC, when I rode the Crescent from NOL to NYP back in 2018, the Magnolia Room did offer coffee and pastries before boarding that morning...🤔

I was in Tampa Station in 2019 when I rode the Star. Beautiful old station, but only two trains daily (resumes after June 6). I don’t see Amtrak spending money for a lounge there.

They have space in Seattle King Street, and it's a bit surprising that they didn't carve out some room during the remodel for a lounge. This is an important station for one, as it is the origin point of two long distance trains, and could also be offered as a business class perk for SEA-PDX Cascades service. We really enjoyed the lounge in PDX before our delayed Empire Builder trip.

I was in Tampa Station in 2019 when I rode the Star. Beautiful old station, but only two trains daily (resumes after June 6). I don’t see Amtrak spending money for a lounge there.
However, the Silver Services are popular, and I believe that many use the Tampa station. But you are probably right.

They have space in Seattle King Street, and it's a bit surprising that they didn't carve out some room during the remodel for a lounge. This is an important station for one, as it is the origin point of two long distance trains, and could also be offered as a business class perk for SEA-PDX Cascades service. We really enjoyed the lounge in PDX before our delayed Empire Builder trip.
I agree with your points

The unstaffed lounge in St. Louis is pretty decent, as I recall from the one time I used business class on the Lincoln Service. You have to get a passcode for the door at the ticket counter, so random passengers or passersby can't just wander in. It's a quiet room with comfy furniture, its own washroom, a television (as I recall, with the remote in the room so you get to control it) and a fridge with bottled water. I don't recall if there was coffee or snacks. And the room is pretty much right at the bottom of the stairs and escalator leading up to the bridge from the station to the platforms.

I bring this up because (1) a lounge doesn't have to be staffed to be useful and pleasant, and (2) Seattle and St. Louis have a similar number of trains (outside Covid-time) and mix of corridor and long-distance trains.

To be fair nobody is changing trains in New Orleans. There is never a lack of seating in New Orleans Main Station anyways. I wonder if Catty Car Corner is still open next door.... *quick google* yes it is! I always grabbed lunch there before boarding the city.
But there are lots of sleeper passengers waiting for the trains. I'll bet a lot of passengers at Atlanta airport lounges initiate their trip in Atlanta. I know I am and have been one of them - a lot in the past.

And I've never seen the pastries someone mentioned although once in a while we encountered coffee - sometimes it was even made!

Orlando could use a Sleeper Lounge, though. It seemed like everyone and their brother got off when I rode the Meteor a few weeks ago. I always get on/off at Kissimmee—it is actually closer to Disney.

Back