Delayed TE Chicago-LA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I’m writing this from my Roomette on the TE. I’m here in the USA on vacation from Australia, doing a 5 week trip. This journey on the TE is the first leg of my adventure.

We departed Chicago on Sunday 03 April a little late, but made most of the time up by shortening our stops at stations. Only 1 sleeper carriage, 1 dining car and 3 coach cars. All fully booked.

I had posted an enquiry about a month ago about advice on staying in a lower berth Roomette. I can say I have really enjoyed it, the chance to clean my windows has been excellent and I think the ride has been much more stable.

On arrival at San Antonio (only 30 mins late) we were advised by our new sleeping car attendant that the Sunset Limited was very late due to bad weather and we probably would not leave until dawn. This was fine as it gave me a chance to wander downtown and see the city sights. I cane back to the station around 11.30pm and went to bed. I woke around 5.00am to shunting noises and assumed we were connecting up and heading west.

But when I woke up properly around 7.00am I saw we were still at San Antonio. And on heading outside, found just our car attached to a coach car and nothing else around! We looked very lonely sitting there. We were advised that a Frieght train had broken down just in front of the Sunset only 70miles out of town.

The 2 train crew were excellent, helping everyone and worked with station staff to get some doughnuts and coffee delivered for all the passengers. Finally around midday, the Sunset arrived and we connected up and headed west, about 12 hours late once we got underway. The staff on board have been amazing. They have been helping everyone who needs plans changed, answering questions and still smiling.

On a positive note we have been able to see the scenery from Tucson heading west in daylight which has been great! We are still battling for position with the freight trains, and now are about 13 and a half hours late leaving Yuma.

We have been given breakfast and lunch today, amazing how they still can cater for us despite these unexpected meals. We should be in LA around 6.00pm all going well.

But I wanted to really highlight how good the crew have been. All of these delays have been outside Amtraks control. I see it as an adventure and I am loving it! So much so I have booked a trip on the Zephyr to finish off my vacation here before heading home to Australia.

You are so lucky to have Amtrak and these facilities here. I think it’s a great way to travel and even with the delays, I’ve had an awesome time.

Attachments

• E6D8DA71-1C4A-42EB-9FF6-506A408E7BEE.jpeg
    E6D8DA71-1C4A-42EB-9FF6-506A408E7BEE.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 301680C0-1E91-431B-AB16-57E3C6571353.jpeg
    301680C0-1E91-431B-AB16-57E3C6571353.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 20
You were lucky to make it thru when you did. Today, a bridge burned in west Texas, stopping service on the Sunset Ltd.

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/1-2-bridge-fire-causes-schedule-havok.81705/
Yes I was just reading that! I can’t imagine the backlog of trains after an event like that. I am very grateful I got through and was able to complete my trip. Following my post we were served wine in our cabins which was nice, and finally arrived into LAX at 7.14pm.

Yes I was just reading that! I can’t imagine the backlog of trains after an event like that. I am very grateful I got through and was able to complete my trip. Following my post we were served wine in our cabins which was nice, and finally arrived into LAX at 7.14pm.
Without knowing your, or anyone's, particular circumstances and what problems the delay may have caused, but that amount of delay allowed you to travel through areas during daylight that are normally only traveled in darkness.
I would have loved to see the Salton Sea area as well as other areas not nomally visible.

Without knowing your, or anyone's, particular circumstances and what problems the delay may have caused, but that amount of delay allowed you to travel through areas during daylight that are normally only traveled in darkness.
I would have loved to see the Salton Sea area as well as other areas not nomally visible.
Crossing my fingers that my Sunset in June is delayed like that to have an extra breakfast or lunch before coming into LA.

Attachments

• 71BBF02A-669A-4A56-BDCD-58B427D3C21E.jpeg
    71BBF02A-669A-4A56-BDCD-58B427D3C21E.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 16
Back