Delays NEC 07/04/14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Fourth! Mother Nature's fireworks were last night...

From Amtrak's website:

July 4, 2014
4:00 a.m. ET
Due to weather related issues along the Northeast Corridor between Philadelphia and Washington, DC, some Amtrak trains experienced significant delays Thursday evening. Power outages and downed trees on the tracks delayed rail traffic throughout the night. Passengers can expect some residual delays to continue this morning.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
Things have quieted down and I'd think things should be improving, but I don't know if winds from Arthur could delay repairs closer to the coast.

The worst of the storms somehow missed us. Things looked like they were worse up by OTN.
There were several intense storm cells last night northeast of DC in MD, DE, and southeast PA, which obviously messed up the NEC. Combination I gather of the cold front moving in and the northern edges of the hurricane system. Will have a lingering effect as the southbound #97(3) departed BAL 4 hours and 14 minutes late. #97 is not likely to make up lost time in NC.

Weather related outages such as this are a good argument for Amtrak or the NEC to get a good sized bite of the $3 billion in Sandy mitigation funds to be awarded sometime later this year.

Will have a lingering effect as the southbound #97(3) departed BAL 4 hours and 14 minutes late. #97 is not likely to make up lost time in NC.
97 is expected into RMT over 9 hours late, and optimistically into Miami over 7 hours late.
Weather related outages such as this are a good argument for Amtrak or the NEC to get a good sized bite of the $3 billion in Sandy mitigation funds to be awarded sometime later this year.
Of course that will do nothing to fix whatever happened on CSX between PTB and RMT. It is also not clear what can be done with falling trees and wires beyond a certain point. AFAICT the NEC ROW now has in most places all trees cut back to the property line. Can;t do much about tall trees on adjacent property occasionally toppling over I suppose.

I thought last night's storms had zero to do with Arthur. They were on the weather predictions before Arthur even formed.
You are correct.
Partly correct, at least. My understanding is that when fronts and storm systems collide, things can be aggravated significantly...but the storms were...er...on the radar before Arthur came into the mix.

A number of trains delayed 5 plus hours enroute.

Looks like things fairly back to normal today.

I thought last night's storms had zero to do with Arthur. They were on the weather predictions before Arthur even formed.
You are correct.
Partly correct, at least. My understanding is that when fronts and storm systems collide, things can be aggravated significantly...but the storms were...er...on the radar before Arthur came into the mix.
In this case, the front helped Arthur developstrengthen, and also provided the "push" that helped steer it back out to sea (for a bit at least), but the storms we saw here in DC would have happened pretty much the same w/o Arthur.
Looks like today has been relatively decent on the rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
2168 got hit bad last night. To the extent where MNRR had major issues that required a set of P42's come and rescue the train. 2122 also got hit hard as well. It took almost 6 hours to get from WAS to PHL.

Took the 66 Thursday night from WAS. Only departed about 30 min. late, but like the poster above said, got stuck between BWI and Wilmington for like 3 hours.

The worst of the storms somehow missed us. Things looked like they were worse up by OTN.
There were several intense storm cells last night northeast of DC in MD, DE, and southeast PA, which obviously messed up the NEC. Combination I gather of the cold front moving in and the northern edges of the hurricane system. Will have a lingering effect as the southbound #97(3) departed BAL 4 hours and 14 minutes late. #97 is not likely to make up lost time in NC.
How 'bout getting CSUX to restore that 2nd track through the Carolinas and Georgia, often targets of many a violent storm?

True enough.

Took 136 a total of 7 hours from Washington to Philadelphia and only 2 hours from there to New York .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back