Deluxe Sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_C

Lead Service Attendant
Do these have deluxe bedrooms on the lower level as well? Or just roomettes? Ladies smoking lounge down there?

No, "deluxe" bedrooms (simply "bedrooms" on Amtrak.com) are on the upper level. Five on the regular sleepers, 10 on a "deluxe" sleeper (only on the Auto Train, and none in a transdorm car.

On the lower level there are 4 roomettes, one family bedroom (taking the entire width of the car) and one handicapped accessible bedroom (taking the entire width of the car).

There is no smoking on any of Amtrak's trains except the Auto Train "smoker's penalty box". If you are referring to the "powder/changing room" then, no. You don't find that in sleepers because you can change in your room or in the shared shower. I'll post the car layouts in a second.

PLANS.jpg

Do these have deluxe bedrooms on the lower level as well? Or just roomettes? Ladies smoking lounge down there?
Roomettes, family room and handicap room plus restrooms, a shower and baggage rack on the lower level. All deluxe rooms upstairs.

Roomettes, family room and handicap room plus restrooms, a shower and baggage rack on the lower level. All deluxe rooms upstairs.
I thought a "Deluxe" bedroom was two bedrooms together? Prolly wrong. What do they call that, a "double Bedroom"? I really don't remember.........

I know this was posted once before awhile back but is there a diagram for the Superliner Transition Dorm?

IIRC they only sell 4 rooms when the other sleeper(s) are full, IINM its always the 4 next to the sleeper behind and theres some kind of do not pass line for the paying pax but they can use the shower/restroom etc. but not go downstairs ??I tried to look @ one on the SL and was run off by a very rude OBS when I asked if I could see the car!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought a "Deluxe" bedroom was two bedrooms together? Prolly wrong. What do they call that, a "double Bedroom"? I really don't remember.........
Thats called a "Bedroom Suite", aka Very expensive!!! :lol:

Just to clarify the change in terminology: old bedroom = roomette, old deluxe bedroom = bedroom. The family and accessible room names haven't changed. Adjoining rooms = bedroom suite.

People who've ridden Amtrak for a while still tend to use the old terms.

I know this was posted once before awhile back but is there a diagram for the Superliner Transition Dorm?IIRC they only sell 4 rooms when the other sleeper(s) are full, IINM its always the 4 next to the sleeper behind and theres some kind of do not pass line for the paying pax but they can use the shower/restroom etc. but not go downstairs ??I tried to look @ one on the SL and was run off by a very rude OBS when I asked if I could see the car!
How much freedom you have in the TransDorm depends on the crew. On my last Texas Eagle run I had a Roomette in there and the SCA asked us to use the Lower Level shower since it was roomier and the Conductors were always welcoming the couple times I stepped into the Crew Lounge to open my suitcase and dig something out. One even noticed my scanner on belt and we chatted for a while as he sorted through paperwork.

I know this was posted once before awhile back but is there a diagram for the Superliner Transition Dorm?IIRC they only sell 4 rooms when the other sleeper(s) are full, IINM its always the 4 next to the sleeper behind and theres some kind of do not pass line for the paying pax but they can use the shower/restroom etc. but not go downstairs ??I tried to look @ one on the SL and was run off by a very rude OBS when I asked if I could see the car!
I once rode in roomette 17 of the Transition Dorm. I can't say how many of the roomettes had paying passengers in them, but I know I was not the only one in there. There was a sign hanging from the ceiling of the passageway to the effect, "No passengers past this point," and that sign was on my side of the stairwell (although I cannot remember how far from the stairwell it was hanging). So I didn't go uptrain from my room at all. The attendant had pointed out the combination bathroom and shower diagonal across the hall from my room, and that's the one I used.

The roomette was pretty much like any other, while the bathroom/shower was different from what I have experienced elsewhere on Amtrak -- but I liked it.

Thanks for the feedback from all!Guess Ill find out in person on the CONO this fall, I have a transition dorm sleeper

from NOL-CHI, hope I dont get Debra in the CCC or Anthony for a SCA!

Rob C, do you mean the deluxe sleepers on the Auto Train? Those cars have ten "deluxe bedrooms (aka bedrooms :rolleyes: :lol: ). The lower level is the same as the regular Superliner sleepers.

No Heritage sleepers or sleepers turned into crew dorms are in service anymore. There are a few retired ones in BG, but one does roam around called the "Pacific Command" (# 10021) for Amtrak's inspector general.

Here's a list of some of the room names the current Amtrak sleepers have been called:

Viewliner/Superliner

currently

Roomettes

previously

Compartment/Standard Bedroom

currently

Bedroom

formerly

Deluxe Bedroom

currently

Accesible Bedroom

formerly

Handicaped Bedroom

currently

Family Bedroom

formerly

Family Bedroom

Two Bedrooms combined is a "Bedroom Suite".

The number of rooms sold depends on how many crew members are expected to be onboard the train. The EB typically only sells 4 rooms. Most other trains sell all six on the passenger side.

As for where you can or can't go, a lot depends on which version of the Trans/Dorm you get. If you get the version where there is a seperate, special bathroom with shower upstairs at the end of the car, then you are typically not allowed downstairs. If you get the version where there is only the normal bathroom at the center of the car upstairs, then you are allowed downstairs as that's where the showers are.

On the Autotrain Deluxe Sleepers, what is the room designation for bedrooms 6--10, and are they on the same side of the car as A-E?

Ladies smoking lounge down there?
As stated, there is no smoking on most Amtrak trains (except on the Auto Train). The larger "ladies" lounge is only on coach cars. (There are none on a sleeper.) I have seen some of them say "Women" and some that are unisex.
How come larger ladies get their own lounge and not us larger gentlemen¿¿¿ :eek:

How come larger ladies get their own lounge and not us larger gentlemen¿¿¿ :eek:
In addition to the lounge, many coach cars include a larger bathroom with a changing bench. I almost prefer that to the lounge. Although the lounge is larger, the bathroom door has a latch.

On the Autotrain Deluxe Sleepers, what is the room designation for bedrooms 6--10, and are they on the same side of the car as A-E?
Bedrooms 6-10 replace the roomettes normally found upstairs. One can walk straight through this car to the next without needing to turn a corner. The coffee station and stairs are as normal in the middle of the car, but no upstairs bathroom. And they are "numbered" J - N.

Amtrak choose those letters because the Family room is alternatively called room 15 or the F room. H is the designation for the Handicapped/accessible room. I looks too much like the number 1, so they started with J and went from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Amtrak still have any Heritage 10-6 Sleepers in backlot inventory or have they all been moved out?
None are left in Amtrak revenue service that I know of, in fact, I don't know of any mothballed ones...
There are, to my knowledge, no 10-6 cars in that configuration left in Amtrak service or storage. The are about a half dozen "Dorm-Lounge" cars that were converted from Pacific (Ex-UP) and Pine (ex-ATSF) series Budd 10-6s (Practically identical floor plan). Three that I know of have been refurbished for use by the Amtrak Inspector General's office, although just what that refurbishment entails, I do not know.

No, "deluxe" bedrooms (simply "bedrooms" on Amtrak.com) are on the upper level. Five on the regular sleepers, 10 on a "deluxe" sleeper (only on the Auto Train, and none in a transdorm car.
On the lower level there are 4 roomettes, one family bedroom (taking the entire width of the car) and one handicapped accessible bedroom (taking the entire width of the car).

There is no smoking on any of Amtrak's trains except the Auto Train "smoker's penalty box". If you are referring to the "powder/changing room" then, no. You don't find that in sleepers because you can change in your room or in the shared shower. I'll post the car layouts in a second.
I called Amtrak last night to, once again, go over my tickets and reservations and make sure that everything was still on the same page.

While he was telling me how the reservations read on his screen, he confirmed that we were in "deluxe" bedroom B on train 49, then in "deluxe" bedroom D on train 7, then in "deluxe" bedroom E on train 11, and so on...

I didn't challenge him on his use of the word "deluxe", but I sure was surprised to hear an Amtrak agent using the term. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back