Denver Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notelvis

Conductor
At one point I had read that Amtrak would be returning to Denver Union Station on February 15th.

Does anyone know whether or not this happened? Photos? 1st person reports? Anyone?

Did not happen. Amtrak is still supposed to return to Denver Union Station any day now...

I don't know what the delay is, but I'm almost certain the delay is in the historic building, which is being renovated by a hotel company. The trackwork and platforms are being done by a different construction company, and Amtrak's platforms are done.

You can look at the live picture of the platforms:

http://www.earthcam.com/client/kiewit/

The construction company working on the track and platforms wants Amtrak to move ASAP because the next step in their job is to demolish Amtrak's temporary platform, so they can't do anything more until Amtrak move. But the hotel company has to make the building ready for Amtrak first...

If you're looking at the Earthcam, the new Amtrak tracks are the really long ones in the middle.

The new Amtrak platform is the one with the long canopy and strange little shelter down at the far end. I have no idea what that shelter is for and I'm very curious.

The super-narrow platform in the center is the new Amtrak "servicing" platform, so that they can do water & sewer & stuff like that on the opposite side from the passengers.

The other really long track was originally intended for the late lamented Ski Train, but now will provide Amtrak with some breathing room (for instance, if they're off-schedule, the eastbound and westbound California Zephyrs can now both be in the station at once).

You can see the Amtrak temporary platform in the Earthcam too. It has to be demolished to allow the new Gold Line tracks to be connected up to the new Gold Line platforms.

You can also tell from the Earthcam that the historic building isn't ready for Amtrak. For starters, the doors on the south wing need to be finished and the debris and jersey barriers lying around in a disorganized fashion in front of them needs to be removed. The baggage claim is supposed to be somewhere in the south wing (near where the tracks end), so one of those widened doors in the south wing is probably for the baggage carts. The fence between the two different construction areas also needs to be removed, or at least have a gap for passengers and baggage. And who knows what the state of the inside of the building is.

Thanks Nathanael -

I rode through Denver on #5 last February. We were about 30 minutes early so I had plenty of time to check out the temporary station and also walk up on the bridge over the DUS throat area. I could tell looking at it at the time that the trackwork into DUS could not be completed until Amtrak was out of the temporary station.

So the ongoing question is, will Amtrak return to DUS before or after Amtrak moves in to St. Paul Union Depot!

Thanks for providing that webcam link....I spent over 10 years at that station, and can barely recognize it....can't wait to slip over and see the finished product...

A number of commuter rail lines are being constructed that will also serve this station. Going strictly off what I remember, and not double-checking online, I believe it is 4 lines, the East Line to the airport, a North Line, a Northwest Line, and the Gold Line to Golden. Some (all?) of these lines will use EMUs similar to SEPTA's new Silverliner V.

Aloha

My reaction the pictures is, that is a lot of station. Is there enough traffic?
Not this year... but as Eric noted, in 2016 there will be three so-called "commuter" lines running EMUs. In 2018 they will be joined by a fourth line.

I believe the lowest-frequency line is supposed to run every half hour all day, which justifies the number of platforms. The "outside" six tracks are all for the "commuter" lines; they've been arranged so that they don't have to cross the Amtrak tracks in normal operation, except to get to the maintenance facility.

There is some more room for future expansion -- which is good because there are a *lot* of expansion proposals floating around, beyond the currently funded ones and the committed-but-unfunded train to Boulder.

I believe the lowest-frequency line is supposed to run every half hour all day, which justifies the number of platforms.
I had sort of assumed that was the case (high frequency operation, at least by North American commuter rail standards), but couldn't recall if I had ever read anything confirming that.

A number of commuter rail lines are being constructed that will also serve this station. Going strictly off what I remember, and not double-checking online, I believe it is 4 lines, the East Line to the airport, a North Line, a Northwest Line, and the Gold Line to Golden. Some (all?) of these lines will use EMUs similar to SEPTA's new Silverliner V.
The EMUs to be used on the electrified (catenary) regional rail lines will be built in the same Philadelphia plant that built the SEPTA Silverliner Vs and share the same design. From the photos, the primary differences will in the doors (no low level platforms in Denver), the internal seating arrangements, and the livery.

While LA has a number of rail transit projects under construction or expected to start construction in the next several years, Denver may be the US city that will see the biggest expansion of its transit system in a relatively short period of just 2-3 years; from 2016 to circa 2018. Once the transit system opens and hits "critical mass", I think there will be a lot of interest in expanding intercity passenger rail services, starting with service to other cities in Colorado. Then beyond Colorado. Why not a daily Denver- Dallas train for example?

I'm Looking forward to seeing the New Denver set up next time I ride the Zephyr and for sure the Line to the Kansas, er Denver Intl. Airport will be most Welcome!

The DFW Metroplex and Houston are also expanding their Rail Systems rapidly and Austin has Big Plans to do so, but of course being Austin it will probably be 2120 before the Lines actually get built! :rolleyes:

I can hardly wait until the move is completed. Mrs. Ghost and I are frequent guests at the Brown Palace Hotel and we like to walk from the station to the hotel. In the temporary location it wasn't as ideal, but from the historic station it was straight up the street. We shall visit again once the move is complete.

IMG_0104.JPG

Denver 2012 053.JPG

Is the Gold Line to Golden that you mention the same as the existing light rail Line W to Jefferson County Government Center - Golden? Or will there be two lines to Golden?

Does this mean the existing light rail lines won't use the new station? If not, will there be a shuttle bus between the two terminals.

Is the Gold Line to Golden that you mention the same as the existing light rail Line W to Jefferson County Government Center - Golden? Or will there be two lines to Golden?

Does this mean the existing light rail lines won't use the new station? If not, will there be a shuttle bus between the two terminals.
I mixed up the Gold Line (commuter rail to Wheat Ridge) with the W Line (light rail to Golden).

Denver may be the US city that will see the biggest expansion of its transit system in a relatively short period of just 2-3 years; from 2016 to circa 2018. Once the transit system opens and hits "critical mass", I think there will be a lot of interest in expanding intercity passenger rail services, starting with service to other cities in Colorado. Then beyond Colorado. Why not a daily Denver- Dallas train for example?
I don't know why the Front Range intercity rail projects have never reached "critical political mass". For a while, Fort Collins and Loveland were pushing very hard for service to Denver (via Boulder), but this seems to have fallen on the back burner for some reason. Pueblo also wants service to Denver, but that's harder (it would be on a very highly congested route full of coal trains -- unless the "coal train eastern bypass of Denver" is built, which is stalled out due to opposition). Cheyenne and Laramie want service back too. Unsurprisingly, right-wing Colorado Springs was the uninterested-in-rail holdout among the major cities along the Front Range, though there are some signs that this is changing.

Anyway, there's room in Denver Union Station for such intercity services should they happen.

I can hardly wait until the move is completed. Mrs. Ghost and I are frequent guests at the Brown Palace Hotel and we like to walk from the station to the hotel. In the temporary location it wasn't as ideal, but from the historic station it was straight up the street. We shall visit again once the move is complete.
Now that looks more like Denver, the way I remember it! Thanks for providing those photo's!

The Gold Line will go through Old Town Arvada and terminate in Wheat Ridge or Arvada, not near downtown Golden. It is separate from the W line.

http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/gl_1
It looks like it pretty much follows the BNSF "beer line"....wonder why it doesn't also extend into Golden?
Both the West Line and the Gold Line were originally planned to extend into Golden proper, but both were cut short due to expected cost. They may be extended some day, after funding is found for the existing FasTracks projects.

It would be nice if the Gold Line did extend.....it would go right by the Colorado Railroad Museum...

At one point I had read that Amtrak would be returning to Denver Union Station on February 15th.

Does anyone know whether or not this happened? Photos? 1st person reports? Anyone?
I got the following in an email from Amtrak because I'm scheduled to travel to DEN later this year:

Please be advised effective Friday evening, February 28, Amtrak passenger rail service will return to Denver Union Station located at 1701 Wynkoop St., Denver, CO, 80202, after serving passengers since 2011 at a temporary location on 21st and Wewatta Streets during the redevelopment of Union Station. On the morning of February 28, westbound Train 5 will be the last train to stop at the temporary station, and Amtrak will begin service at Denver Union Station with the evening departure of eastbound Train 6.

Construction is still underway at Union Station, and until it is completed, passengers can access the waiting room, ticketing and baggage office by following signs to the trackside of the building at the south end. From there, passengers will follow signs to the newly constructed passenger platform, under the large white canopy. When construction is completed in July, passengers will access the Amtrak facility from the front of the building. Note: The stop for Amtrak Thruway buses will be temporarily located on Wynkoop Street, across from Union Station and marked with signage.

Allow Extra Time

Passengers should allow additional time due to the station construction.

Drop-off and Pick-up Only: Parking Not Available

Although there is no passenger parking at the new location, there are numerous long and short- term parking lots and garages around Union Station. For more information on where to park, visit http://www.downtowndenver.com/getting-around/driving-and-parking.

Ending Service at the Temporary Station at 21st and Wewatta Streets

· After the morning departure of westbound Train 5 on Friday, February 28, the temporary Wewatta St. station will be closed, and no public services will be available, including restrooms.

· Passengers who are leaving Denver while the temporary Wewatta St. station is open, but returning after Amtrak service returns to Denver Union Station, should not park in the temporary station parking lot. Passengers should arrange to be dropped off and picked up at the appropriate stations.

· Passengers returning to Denver whose vehicles are parked at the temporary station on or after February 28, should speak with a station employee.

Safety Advisory during Construction

Construction of a new commuter rail station is currently underway at historic Denver Union Station. This work is not expected to affect Amtrak passengers or station operations. The renovation projected will be complete by late 2014. During the construction period, please be mindful of the following:

· Be careful as you walk near the construction area.

· Stay at a safe distance from machinery and moving construction equipment.

· Watch out for any tripping hazards, such as construction debris or uneven surfaces.

For information on the Denver Union Station redevelopment project, visit www.denverunionstation.org.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see some photos of Amtrak's temporary home at Denver Union Station posted HERE. They will operate out of that area while construction of the main station continues.

The Brown is my favorite hotel. I'll be there at the end of the month,though can't stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back