Departure time for CZ Tuesday 7/28 from Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eblkheart

Service Attendant
I got a phone call from Amtrak today telling me that instead of a 2pm departure time from Chicago for the Zephyr, it's now 12pm. Anyone know the reason why? I have never heard of this. I did see that the train is completely sold out as well.

Monday's train was changed to noon as well. I am assuming to get a head start on the delays they have been experiencing this summer. I wonder if it will be permanent like the Empire Builder.

I just received an email advising that the Sunday CZ will depart Chicago at noon. Does anyone know if they will serve lunch?

"10xx" trains are, most of the time, used for either a "normal" train that has its schedule shifted so that two days' trains would show up somewhere during the same day or for trains that get "split" (e.g. the Eagle running over two separate sections of its route but with a bus bridge in the middle). For example, train 5 is due into Lincoln, NE just after midnight. When the train gets bumped two hours early, you'd end up with a train 5 due in at 0008 and one due in at 2208...and Arrow does not like that, so 1005 is used in lieu so as to make Arrow happy. You'll often see it on one day or the other surrounding a schedule shift (either temporary or permanent).

I think 1000-series trains also get used for Thanksgiving extras on the NEC, usually numbered for the extra sections they're running as part of.

Last edited by a moderator:
The train is scheduled two hrs early from Chicago to Denver for a few days in late July. But will dwell longer in denver and depart from there at its regularly scheduled time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it. My trip was flawless, except for the small delays due to weather in Iowa. After getting in early to Denver, I have to say I was hoping they would do this schedule more often. Very smooth sailing with a bit of buffer in case of issues weather, rail or what ever else Amtrak has to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back