Derailment of Cascades #501, DuPont WA, 2017-12-18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else read this letter from Richard Anderson to Departments of Transportation of both Washington and Oregon? It is dated January 8th, but I only found the link in an article written yesterday in Progressive Railroading. The letter makes some pretty substantial claims: PTC in all diesels by September, up from a claimed 51% now? I would be frankly very surprised and happy if this actually happens.

Has anyone else read this letter from Richard Anderson to Departments of Transportation of both Washington and Oregon? It is dated January 8th, but I only found the link in an article written yesterday in Progressive Railroading. The letter makes some pretty substantial claims: PTC in all diesels by September, up from a claimed 51% now? I would be frankly very surprised and happy if this actually happens.
It's possible. The Chargers are being deployed which frees up engines. Additionally, they are doing the winter cuts thing so that can free up diesels as well. Finally, there isn't as much private car action in the winter. This is the perfect time for a blitz.

Per this article from the Seattle Times (with fair use quote below) the engineer was interviewed by the NTSB within the last week. Just putting the article out there, you can draw your own conclusions.

The engineer on the Amtrak train that derailed south of Tacoma last month, killing three people and injuring dozens, said he didn’t see or didn’t recognize the signposts and signals indicating a drastic drop in the speed limit, a new report from federal investigators says.

It was the engineer’s second time driving a train in that direction on a newly opened stretch of track, known as the Point Defiance Bypass.

Per this article from the Seattle Times (with fair use quote below) the engineer was interviewed by the NTSB within the last week. Just putting the article out there, you can draw your own conclusions.

The engineer on the Amtrak train that derailed south of Tacoma last month, killing three people and injuring dozens, said he didn’t see or didn’t recognize the signposts and signals indicating a drastic drop in the speed limit, a new report from federal investigators says.

It was the engineer’s second time driving a train in that direction on a newly opened stretch of track, known as the Point Defiance Bypass.
So 26 pages of posts to confirm what we all suspected, a perfectly functioning train was going to fast for the curve because the engineer did not slow down. Sad, maybe PTC will prevent these sort of derailments in the future.

In a way I feel bad for the engineer, I would hate to have the dreams he is having as he re plays those few seconds in his mind over and over.

In a way I feel bad for the engineer, I would hate to have the dreams he is having as he re plays those few seconds in his mind over and over.
I agree with you. I feel the same way about Brandon Bostian the engineer in 188.

But the one thing I give him credit for, is admitting his faults. As someone who was raised to be honest and is honest.. It takes guts to say that. Kudos to that engineer for telling the truth.
default_smile.png

Acela150 is now staying out of this topic out of respect for a fellow AU member as well as Jim and Zach.

So 26 pages of posts to confirm what we all suspected, a perfectly functioning train was going to fast for the curve because the engineer did not slow down. Sad, maybe PTC will prevent these sort of derailments in the future.

red%20stop%20sign%20lights-white_540x570.jpg

Better signage for such a hazardous curve situation for mandatory speed reduction would be in order.

Perhaps an led lighted sign powered by a solar panel.

Here's a link to what China can offer: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Long-life-span-Slow-Down-Warning_60510749645.html

My question would be was one run through enough to train an engineer on a new section?

Tell me again, Amtrak does, or does not use video that monitors the cab?

Last edited by a moderator:
One time at the stick, not one time on this route.

Remember this is a very short reroute of a longer division.

Union has a voice, they and Amtrak agree to the training on the new route.

Big signs flashing light or maybe install the PTC on the engines.

red%20stop%20sign%20lights-white_540x570.jpg

Better signage for such a hazardous curve situation for mandatory speed reduction would be in order.

Perhaps an led lighted sign powered by a solar panel.

Here's a link to what China can offer: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Long-life-span-Slow-Down-Warning_60510749645.html
If a sign like this goes for about $72 on the Internet, maybe the cost could be covered by a crowd-funding drive? Nah, easier to write the check and sent it to Richard Anderson my damn self.

It's pretty easy to see why Burlington put the tracks where they did. If they smoothed out the curve perfectly, there'd be a lot of earthen work and a couple of homes that would have to go away. Question is, after $800M, how much more would this have been?

1-29-2018 10-42-02 AM.png

Gentle arc over a highway would not be cheap. Easier to raise the highway over the tracks. Could use general highway funds for this. Dont forget there a 30 mph switch at the end of new and improved cut off. It was not deem important so it was not done. Written in blood.

There are thousands of restricted speed turnouts that are traversed safely every day across the country. The bridge and interlocking should have been an inefficiency, not a fatal flaw in the operation. If engineers are not being adequately trained to safely operate over their territory, then there is a more fundemental problem that cannot be solved by simply making the track straighter.

It's pretty easy to see why Burlington put the tracks where they did. If they smoothed out the curve perfectly, there'd be a lot of earthen work and a couple of homes that would have to go away. Question is, after $800M, how much more would this have been?
I can't help but wonder if your sketched in proposed alignment is similar to where it was prior to the Interstate 5 replacing US Route 99 in this particular area. Just as an historical note, the Northbound I5 bridge over the Nisqually River, just a little bit south, was part of Route 99 (built in 1937). The southbound bridge wasn't built until 1967 according to bridgehunter.com.

Judging by the contour lines, it looks like it's always been to follow terrain. Interestingly, you can see where the Point Defiance branch that shots straight north had a very obvious berm that was constructed.

Devastation-wise, I wonder how the crash would've come out if one of the Talgo 8's was involved?

Back