Derailment of Cascades #501, DuPont WA, 2017-12-18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, we're into the second year of this investigation.
Really? Second year? You make it sound like they’ve been investigating this for over a year. It’s only been 3 weeks.
Changing the last number of the year on the calendar really doesn't make the investigation go any faster. If something had happened Sunday night, would you also say 'second year'?

But by that standard, it has also been a year since any Viewliner Dining Cars were delivered. People on that thread are going to go bananas.....

Really? Second year? You make it sound like they’ve been investigating this for over a year. It’s only been 3 weeks.
Changing the last number of the year on the calendar really doesn't make the investigation go any faster. If something had happened Sunday night, would you also say 'second year'?
Come on... I put the word year in italics.

It was tongue in cheek ... Seesh !!

default_mda.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on... I put the word year in italics.

It was tongue in cheek ... Seesh !!

default_mda.gif
Couldn't see the italics on my phone or my computer. Maybe an emoji would have helped.
default_wink.png

But what ABOUT crew interviews? Surely the crew can have by now been interviewed, even if from their hospital beds (if still hospitalized). The local news outlets that I have read no longer mention anything about the injured.

And isn't that a sad commentary on the news media.
Not sure what you're referring to here, as you don't quote anything. But if you're responding to the comment about news outlets no longer mentioning anything about the injured, I don't really see it as a sad commentary. It really just says there is no news to report. Honestly, why would there be? Unless someone else died from their injuries beyond the known three, I don't think it's really any of the public's business how the injured were doing unless they personally decided to make it the public's business.

The last thing anyone really needs having been injured in an accident is news reporters and cameras knocking on their door (hospital or home) asking for updates.

But what ABOUT crew interviews? Surely the crew can have by now been interviewed, even if from their hospital beds (if still hospitalized). The local news outlets that I have read no longer mention anything about the injured.
I don't think it is reasonable to expect the NTSB to give daily and hourly updates on what they have and have not done so far. They will let the public know when there is something worth sharing.

And isn't that a sad commentary on the news media.
Not sure what you're referring to here, as you don't quote anything. But if you're responding to the comment about news outlets no longer mentioning anything about the injured, I don't really see it as a sad commentary. It really just says there is no news to report. Honestly, why would there be? Unless someone else died from their injuries beyond the known three, I don't think it's really any of the public's business how the injured were doing unless they personally decided to make it the public's business.

The last thing anyone really needs having been injured in an accident is news reporters and cameras knocking on their door (hospital or home) asking for updates.
Agreed. Plus, it's illegal under federal law for hospitals to give out detailed information about the status of their patients, although perhaps that's one of those pesky regulations that the current administration wants to get rid of.

Considering that the law in question was put in place because of leakage of health status of Chaney or something like that, maybe they won't push for it. Afterall they would not want the private details of the state of mental health of many powerful politicians to start leaking without any legal recourse to block them.
default_wink.png

Odd that the conductor in the cab is suing... He should have had his timetable out and watching the mileposts and known that the curve was coming... He also should have seen the 2 speed limit signs from the cab.

Im not blaming him... But for him to sue seems a bit surprising.

Believe HIPAA rules are by law not regulation.
I may be wrong, but I think HIPAA laws (yes, they *are* laws) apply to healthcare providers and no one else.
The press reporting (or not reporting things) is not a matter of law, but a matter of courtesy (or lack thereof).
I have family members who work in healthcare (chaplains, nurses, administrators), and HIPAA applies to them. HIPAA applies to all healthcare providers and personnel, such that patients and/or their guardians have sole control over how their health information is shared. It may even apply to law enforcement and government agencies, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Odd that the conductor in the cab is suing... He should have had his timetable out and watching the mileposts and known that the curve was coming... He also should have seen the 2 speed limit signs from the cab.

After all, he was familiarizing himself with the route, right? Not clear from the article, but he seemed to be a conductor in training as opposed to a functional conductor. In other words, he wasn't in the cab with the duties of having operational control of the train.

The article makes it sound like he was a qualified conductor who was riding along specifically to familiarize himself with the new route. If that were the case, I would expect him to be extra observant and following along to his timetable.

Maybe he's suing because of the supposedly bad job of how the training of the crews, including the engineer he was riding with, occurred. If it's true that they did the training only at night and with multiple people in the cab - or worse, in the engine in the back, then that could be his reason for suing.

Actually, it is not odd at all. Amtrak employees are not covered by a standard worker's Compensation system. Since he was injured he can either take his chances and wait to see what the Amtrak claims dept. might "offer" him in compensation for his injuries, or he can grab a lawyer and sue. There is a reason Amtrak employees call being injured "winning the Amtrak lottery"......

Seriously, Amtraks Unions need to get their heads out of their keisters and ensure that all OBS and T&E Crews are covered in case of on the Job Injuries in the the next contracts!
It is an old federal law...I want to say FELA?...All the unions have lists of "railroad" lawyers that are familiar with the law and dealing with the railroads. It is the same for freight....

http://www.yjblaw.com/aops/railroad-injury/

This is one of those law firms that specialize in this practice, and their brief explanation of it....

One advantage of these firms, is that some have an agreement with some of the unions to only take a quarter, rather than a third of settlements as their contingency fee....

Back