Detroit to Toledo Thruway Bus question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracktwentynine

OBS Chief
I've been away from the forum for a while, but I wanted to drop by with a question. Thanks in advance for the answer!

I'm looking at a trip from Detroit to Washington, and I don't want to backtrack all the way to Chicago to make the connection. There is a Thruway connection between Detroit and Toldeo, where I can connect to the Capitol Limited.

I was wondering what kind of bus is actually used for the connection. There's very little information on the website, and I know that Thruway Buses are very different between routes.

Can anyone describe the situation?

Thanks!

I've been away from the forum for a while, but I wanted to drop by with a question. Thanks in advance for the answer!

I'm looking at a trip from Detroit to Washington, and I don't want to backtrack all the way to Chicago to make the connection. There is a Thruway connection between Detroit and Toldeo, where I can connect to the Capitol Limited.

I was wondering what kind of bus is actually used for the connection. There's very little information on the website, and I know that Thruway Buses are very different between routes.

Can anyone describe the situation?

Thanks!
Similar to what Greyhound, or the motor coach touring companies use. Probably seats 42-28, chemical toilet in back. Seat may or may not have drop down table, outlets. Comfortable for the short trip.

I took it in reverse [tol-det] last October. It was fine. Typical Amtrak Thruways bus: only Amtrak passengers, straight shot. The bus had wifi. In TOL we had to wait for both the Capital and the Lakeshore to arrive before we departed.

It is a 55 passenger accessible over the road motorcoach with Wifi and power outlets and onboard restroom, and is dedicated to connecting train passengers. In a rare, exceptional service disruption where one westbound train arriving at Toledo is very late, a smaller substitute vehicle may be used for westbound travel.

According to a 1yo Timetable sitting next to me, the Thruway bus is operated by Trinity Transportation. I believe this is still accurate, although if they changed it would be to Indian Trailways.

Here is some information on the bus you would be on from Trinity:

http://trinitytransportation.com/the-trinity-fleet/charter-bus-rental/

If they've switched to Indian, the bus is going to be essentially the same.

peter

(I only suggest IT as an alt, because the rest of the MI Thruway Buses are operated by them, and they've been active in providing similar services to DTW.)

I took the trip in April 2012. While that's probably not sufficiently recent to be of much help, I did take a picture of the bus on arrival in Toledo. I don't know enough about American buses to identify it, but you can no doubt work it out from here :D

A busy route, if I remember rightly. I heard a lot of negative stuff about the area around Detroit station, but passed a very pleasant hour or to in the company of students and other hipsters down the block at the Northern Lights Lounge before walking (yes, walking, without getting robbed / stabbed / shot / etc) five minutes down to the station.

Amtrak station, Toledo, Oh. by James Benedict Brown, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Just know with Toledo you always arrive/leave in the middle of the night. The station is open 10PM-1PM The next day... So the bus gets there around 11PM I think.

I rode the Toledo-Detroit Thruway Bus last August round-trip. The bus is as depicted in the photo posted above. It's a very pleasant 1 hour ride. You can stow a small carry-on in the overhead luggage compartment that is reminiscent of a plane, with doors that close.

Rode from Ann Arbor to Toledo back in 2011. I don't remember it having Wifi back then... ;)

It was a very nice ride. Still more room than an airplane, not quite as comfy as the train, but very calm, uneventful, and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back