Did I find a timetable error?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I was playing around with the timetable for a future trip on the CZ. A timetable search showed the following.
Route 6
9:00a | 9:09a - Ottumwa, IA (OTM)
Route 5
6:53p | 6:53p - Ottumwa, IA (OTM)
Why would there be 9 minutes for a stop only in route 6? I think 9:00a should be 9:09a. What do you think? I did write to Amtrak to check with them.

Ottumwa is kind of like that, in my experience. It seems like a pretty quick stop going west, but coming back on #6, I've gotten off and taken pictures many times.
If anything, I think the timing for #5 might be off, because sometimes a lot of people get on and it takes a few minutes.

According to the crew district map Trains published several years ago it is an Engineer only crew change. The Engineer districts run Chicago-Ottumwa and Ottumwa-Lincoln. Conductors run Chicago-Omaha.
It must be relatively recent since the last printed timetable does not have the 9 minute stop.

Ottumwa has been a crew change stop for a long time, I've always gotten on and off for fresh air on my California Zephyr trips. It just has never appeared in the timetables with a seperate arrival and departure time.

Back