Difference in Duration of Same Route in Opposite Directions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
So, small thing but something I just noticed.

The longer Western Routes are all under an hour difference in duration depending on which direction you are taking it (EB, SWC, SL, CZ).

Yet the much shorter trip the Coast Starlight has an hour and a half difference; it is an hour and a half longer duration going southbound than it is northbound.

What causes this?

So I have an incredibly dumb question - are there any routes (thinking through mountainous or hilly territory) where grades in one direction are steeper - and hence slower - than in the other (iirc that certain exists on roads, but can't remember if it does for rail as well, though I would assume it does). I wonder if backup moves also impact this in one direction more than another.

Though of course, I think padding is the bulk of it, I'm just asking for interests sake more than anything.

So, small thing but something I just noticed.

The longer Western Routes are all under an hour difference in duration depending on which direction you are taking it (EB, SWC, SL, CZ).

Yet the much shorter trip the Coast Starlight has an hour and a half difference; it is an hour and a half longer duration going southbound than it is northbound.

What causes this?

IIRC, there is a fairly lengthy dwell at Sacramento going southbound (over an hour if you are on time heading in), vs about 20 or so minutes northbound. That’s most of the difference. A little bit of difference in padding and/or scheduling around different meets in Surfliner/Metrolink territory could account for the rest.

Back