Diner service question - late boarding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolyn Jane

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
My sister will be boarding the Silver Meteor in SAV on Monday. She has a roomette. I know she is entitles to dinner and breakfast (going to PHL). However, I see that diner service is only available for those boarding up to 8:30p. Train is due to leave SAV at 7:38p, but being quite familiar with the punctuality of 98, I am wondering if any allowance is made for those boarding later because the train is late? Maybe a voucher for the cafe? CJ

Strictly speaking a sleeping car ticket does not entitle you to specific meals. It entitles

you to the meals in the dining car that are served while you are on board. This can "bite" both

ways, so to speak. In this case, a very late Meteor would mean your sister would miss

out on dinner, but a very, very late Meteor could mean she could get lunch before arriving in Philly.

Unfortunately, it's entirely possible that she'll board too late for dinner but disembark too early

for lunch. But I think her chances of getting dinner in this case are pretty good.

If the train leaves no more then an hour late I think she'll be fine. But Amtrak won't give a voucher for the cafe.
I transferred to a very late southbound Texas Eagle in STL last year and Supper Service had closed by the time the train arrived. But we were told to head on down to the Sightseer Lounge where we could pick out a couple items and a drink as a "replacement" Supper. That was better than none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back