Dining Car questions/ roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TishaNola

Train Attendant
I know that meals are included in my room , but are the meals included if you ask to have them in your room ? Or are you allowed to order your food from the dinning car and ask to have it boxed up to take back to your room.

Of coarse still tipping the attendants.

My daughter eats very slowly and its easier for her to have food to go.

Any info on how that works would be great the train will be the crescent. number 19

I know that meals are included in my room , but are the meals included if you ask to have them in your room ? Or are you allowed to order your food from the dinning car and ask to have it boxed up to take back to your room.

Any info on how that works would be great the train will be the crescent. number 19
Yes, you can order meals in your room. As you have acknowledged, tipping of the Sleeping Car Attendent for room service is customary and expected. I tip substantively mor for room service than I do in the dining car. In my case, I add room service tips on to my regular end of trip tip to the SCA. Others tip for each meal when delivered.

Meal ordering or delivery to rooms may be impacted by:

1. Morning bed make up service limits the SCA's availability for room service.

2. If the desired meal time falls during major stops.

3. The number of rooms requesting meal delivery (are they swamped?)

4. How many rooms the SCA is covering (the SCA closest to the transition(crew) dorm generally services about 1.5 cars including the revenue rooms in the transdorm).

I try to navigate to the Dining Car early in the trip so I know what the specials will be and don't have to have the SCA chase down the specials.

You certainly can eat in your room but one of the many things I enjoy about train rides is the communal seating in the dining car :rolleyes: . I don't fully understand the problem with your daughter but I suggest that you guys give it a try.

ENJOY :giggle:

Yes, you should try eating in the dining car at least once on your trip. You are also able to get a "go-box" if your daughter can't finish within a reasonable time. That way, she can finish her meal in your room and you'll be saving the SCA some work.

I like to have meals in my room. I'm just not sociable and fined talking to strangers very awkward. Last time I had dinner in my room, but breakfast in the dining car and felt very uncomfortable when a gentleman was seated across from me immediately and I was reading my book. Awkward to talk, rude to read. Didn't like it at all...

PS..what is a customary tip for the attendants in sleeping car?

Last edited by a moderator:

You sure can. Go to the diner. Place your order ask for it To Go. Tip if you wish. Enjoy!

Yes, you should try eating in the dining car at least once on your trip. You are also able to get a "go-box" if your daughter can't finish within a reasonable time. That way, she can finish her meal in your room and you'll be saving the SCA some work.
That sounds like a plan she is just one of those kids that take a few bites now then again after about 45 minutes or so . But if we can get to go boxes after im done to bring hers back to the room that will be awesome.

I like to have meals in my room. I'm just not sociable and fined talking to strangers very awkward. Last time I had dinner in my room, but breakfast in the dining car and felt very uncomfortable when a gentleman was seated across from me immediately and I was reading my book. Awkward to talk, rude to read. Didn't like it at all...

I was thinking giving each sleeping car attendant like a 20$ tip but im not sure where they transfer so I was thinking to tip at the start of each shift.

I was thinking giving each sleeping car attendant like a 20$ tip but im not sure where they transfer so I was thinking to tip at the start of each shift.
In my experience the same SCA stays with you until you change trains. I make a point of handing them the money directly so I know who received it and they know where it came from.

I am on the shy side myself, and I am not very good at small talk. So, typically, I just sit there and do what I would do if alone (read, watch out the window, eat, drink, etc). My friends have gotten use to that, long ago, and just accept it. If they want me to say something, they have to ask me a question that interests me.

I understand that strangers and new acquiescences do feel awkward with any silence, but that's their problem not mine.

I am on the shy side myself, and I am not very good at small talk. So, typically, I just sit there and do what I would do if alone (read, watch out the window, eat, drink, etc). My friends have gotten use to that, long ago, and just accept it. If they want me to say something, they have to ask me a question that interests me.

I understand that strangers and new acquiescence do feel awkward with any silence, but that's their problem not mine.
same here

Onboard service crew is the same for the whole trip, beginning to end. You'll have the same attendant the whole way. Only the T&E crew (conductors and engineer), responsible for the safe operation of the train, change.

Tisha,

Twenty dollars is a very generous tip, at least for one night. (You didn't say how many nights you would be traveling.) I generally tip $5 per night per room, but I'm a little on the cheap side. I would say that my tip is a minimum, and that is just for the basic "make the beds at night and put them away in the morning." If I were to request other services, such as room service of food from the dining car or drinks from the lounge car, I would tip more. Please note that the IRS keeps track of what they EXPECT that sleeping car attendants and dining car crew are tipped, and make them pay taxes on it whether they actually receive a tip or not. Someone who stiffs them is actually costing them money. So, as a minimum, my personal guidelines are:

• Sleeping car attendants: $5 per night per room, more for special services.
  • Dining car waiters: Tip as you would for the same meal in a restaurant. If you are in the sleeper and your meals are included, you should still leave a cash tip as if you were paying menu price.
  • Help with luggage (Station Redcaps, mostly, but don't hesitate to tip your car attendant if he gives you substantial help): $1 per bag; $2 per heavy bag.
  • Coach attendants: Generally are not tipped unless they perform special services such as serving meals at your seat or helping you with luggage.
  • Lounge car attendants: Tipping is entirely optional but you may tip them as you would a bartender, especially for a complex purchase.
  • The train operating crew (Engineers, Conductor, Assistant Conductors) is never tipped.
As to when to tip: The onboard service crew stays with the train for the entire length of its run, with one exception: If you take the Texas Eagle through San Antonio in either direction, your sleeping car attendant will change in San Antonio. Tip for the first half of your trip before you arrive in San Antonio. Otherwise, you may tip your car attendant at any point right up to the moment that you actually step off the train. Note, though, that car attendants generally go off duty between 10 pm and 6 am. If you will be detraining in the middle of the night, give your attendant his tip before you go to bed

ETA: My bad; I see that you are traveling on the Crescent, so one night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Onboard service crew is the same for the whole trip, beginning to end. You'll have the same attendant the whole way. Only the T&E crew (conductors and engineer), responsible for the safe operation of the train, change.
On my recent TE round trip the SCA changed each way in SAS

I am on the shy side myself, and I am not very good at small talk.
I'm pretty shy and not very good at small talk myself, but I've found that asking your dining car companions "where are you headed?" is a very easy conversation starter.
That's a good start, or "where are you from"? I've always had great conversations with all my dining companions. I travel alone and look forward to the meals. Many times after dinner our group stays well after the other diners have left the car. Always good for some extra dessert or another split of wine. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back