Dining on Silver Star?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I’m traveling again next week on The Star. It was very nice to have traditional dining on the starlight. I take it the Star is still offering Flex Dining? Does it have the “sleeper diner?”

I’m traveling again next week on The Star. It was very nice to have traditional dining on the starlight. I take it the Star is still offering Flex Dining? Does it have the “sleeper diner?”
I was on the Star in July and it had a sleeper lounge/diner and was still offering flex dining. I do not think anything has changed since then or will for at least a few months (I am guessing).

I took the meteor in June and opted out of dinner (vegetarian and the only option is pretty bad), but the cafe car has a Mac n cheese that is extremely unhealthy but admittedly really good. definitely a better choice for dinner if youre into that sort of thing.

This is not exactly on point. It has been over four years since House Representative John Mica was defeated and put out of office. I am afraid it is going to take still a while for dining car service on the east coast to return to a "respectable" level.

This is not exactly on point. It has been over four years since House Representative John Mica was defeated and put out of office. I am afraid it is going to take still a while for dining car service on the east coast to return to a "respectable" level.
The Mica Amendment was fully repealed in 2020. It is wholly the responsibility of Amtrak management and has been for awhile now.

They likely wouldn't have been able to restore traditional dining on the Western trains had it still been in force.

Mica and the Mica Amendment has nothing to do with continued flex dining in the East. Amtrak management is solely responsible.

As stated, not sure what the two have to do with each other.
Amtrak management is the only entity responsible for providing poor dining experience.

No one knows what the plan is but whatever it is is going to take time. As I’m sure you’ve seen on other threads there’s a major labor shortage in OBS and other crafts. Even if the plan is to expand traditional dining to some eastern routes, it’s going to take quite a while.

I was on it about three weeks ago and yes flex dining. Good news on that trip was most everyone ate in their room. At 6:15 or 6:30pm for my dinner there was only one other person in the diner. My food and drink were brought to me. I ate as much flex food as I could and ordered another beer. Stayed for quite a while enjoying the quiet space and took my brownie back to my room.

Back