dinner on crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running 3 hrs late now,freights, of course.
The difference in freight interference between north and south of Atlanta on that train is amazing. North of Atlanta they seem to do relatively ok. On my recent trip our 2.5 hours late south was 90% the fire in Wilmington. We weren’t any later upon arrival in Atlanta (where I got off) but after that they lost another 2 hours. North of Atlanta most of the times we encountered freights they were parked on the siding as they should be. The couple times we stopped for them they were already in the process of passing thru and we quickly continued on. The longest wait in both directions i experienced was when encountering the opposite Crescent. Not perfect north of Atlanta but far better. Not sure if the difference is just that the freight traffic is lighter up there and trains are mostly short enough to enter the sidings.
I always pray (with no luck yet) for the southbound Crescent to be 3 or 4 hours late by the time we get to Greenville (I get off there) so we can get breakfast. On all our trips, it has never been more than 15 minutes late
default_sad.png

I know it wouldn't make people headed further south happy but just once can I get breakfast instead of having to wake up at 4AM so we can get ready in time to get off?

I also pray that the northbound won't be more than an hour late so we can go to bed by midnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there is a subtle difference between “serving food at all” and having “traditional dining service” or not. [emoji57]

There is absolutely zero evidence at present all food service will be removed from any train.
Not arguing that. How much time was given before eliminating the Star's diner? Of course, 80% of the route is duplicated by the Meteor...
So, yes, the original tongue-in-cheek remark may not be pedantic enough for this group, but it was, in fact, tongue-in-cheek.
The Star’s diner may have been short notice (I don’t recall how much notice was given) because the # of old diners was decreasing and the new diners weren’t even “out” yet as I recall.
If memory serves, notice of the Starvation "experiment" was given maybe four months before it was implemented. A pretty decent heads up considering the equipment situation at the time.

Back