dinner on crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, if it is running more or less on time.
Assuming, of course, they're still serving food at all...
default_wink.png

I would have hoped it was a rhetorical question, but you never know these days.
Which is kinda my point. I think at this point, it's a reasonable assumption and expectation that they will. But I wouldn't bet the farm...

Well, there is a subtle difference between “serving food at all” and having “traditional dining service” or not. [emoji57]

There is absolutely zero evidence at present all food service will be removed from any train.

My southbound train last Thursday was delayed nearly 3 hours at Wilmington station due to some sort of debris fire under the last two cars and departed Washington at 9:16 PM about 2 hours and 45 minutes late. Weren't even able to start dinner until they cut the baggage car off restored power and departed Wilmington. And they did do a last call for dinner after we departed DC for anyone that boarded in DC and wanted to eat.

Well, there is a subtle difference between “serving food at all” and having “traditional dining service” or not. [emoji57]

There is absolutely zero evidence at present all food service will be removed from any train.
With, of course, the exception of the SWC, which might well have the train removed altogether.

With, of course, the exception of the SWC, which might well have the train removed altogether.
This is news to me. Where did you hear that?

We were told at lunch today on the 19, that there were only 7 of us total in the 3 sleeper card and they guaranteed me that I could have the salmon tonight. That being said, we are already 21/2 hrs late as a result of constant stops waiting for freights and once for the 20.

We were told at lunch today on the 19, that there were only 7 of us total in the 3 sleeper card and they guaranteed me that I could have the salmon tonight. That being said, we are already 21/2 hrs late as a result of constant stops waiting for freights and once for the 20.
Only 7? Though you said lunch right? By lunch on 19 you’re through Atlanta where many passengers disembark and there’s less sleeper passengers boarding from ATL south since the last leg is during the day usually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 7? Though you said lunch right? Usually by lunch on 19 you’re through Atlanta where many passengers disembark and there’s less sleeper passengers boarding from ATL south since the last leg is during the day usually.
Correct, we were past Atlanta where everyone got off. Running 3 hrs late now,freights, of course.

Running 3 hrs late now,freights, of course.
The difference in freight interference between north and south of Atlanta on that train is amazing. North of Atlanta they seem to do relatively ok. On my recent trip our 2.5 hours late south was 90% the fire in Wilmington. We weren’t any later upon arrival in Atlanta (where I got off) but after that they lost another 2 hours. North of Atlanta most of the times we encountered freights they were parked on the siding as they should be. The couple times we stopped for them they were already in the process of passing thru and we quickly continued on. The longest wait in both directions i experienced was when encountering the opposite Crescent. Not perfect north of Atlanta but far better. Not sure if the difference is just that the freight traffic is lighter up there and trains are mostly short enough to enter the sidings.

Running 3 hrs late now,freights, of course.
The difference in freight interference between north and south of Atlanta on that train is amazing. North of Atlanta they seem to do relatively ok. On my recent trip our 2.5 hours late south was 90% the fire in Wilmington. We weren’t any later upon arrival in Atlanta (where I got off) but after that they lost another 2 hours. North of Atlanta most of the times we encountered freights they were parked on the siding as they should be. The couple times we stopped for them they were already in the process of passing thru and we quickly continued on. The longest wait in both directions i experienced was when encountering the opposite Crescent. Not perfect north of Atlanta but far better. Not sure if the difference is just that the freight traffic is lighter up there and trains are mostly short enough to enter the sidings.
Yeah, more freight traffic, but mainly account of railroad configuration. Fewer places to pass and shorter sidings.

The worst was when we got across Lake Ponchetrane. It took us another hour and ten minutes following another freight!

Edit: Actually, I should say the worst was our SCA. Despite having only 3 passengers in the car including my wife and me, we never saw her after Atlanta except when cleaning the roomette across from us when she complained about us using our pillows which meant she had to change the covers again.

She didn’t help us at all with our bags when detaining, not even a hand up as we carried them down the steps. Unfortunately for her, my hands were full so I couldn’t hand her the $20 which was in my hand holding my suitcase!

Not arguing that. How much time was given before eliminating the Star's diner? Of course, 80% of the route is duplicated by the Meteor...
So, yes, the original tongue-in-cheek remark may not be pedantic enough for this group, but it was, in fact, tongue-in-cheek.

Not arguing that. How much time was given before eliminating the Star's diner? Of course, 80% of the route is duplicated by the Meteor...
So, yes, the original tongue-in-cheek remark may not be pedantic enough for this group, but it was, in fact, tongue-in-cheek.
The Star’s diner may have been short notice (I don’t recall how much notice was given) because the # of old diners was decreasing and the new diners weren’t even “out” yet as I recall.

Back