Direct Routing vs Not

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
I haven't read the new AGR redemption rules in much detail. But, AFAIK, as long as its a published route on Amtrak.com, without using multi-city, it's a legal redemption for AGR. I tried to book NOL-PHL and Amtrak.com offers the direct routing, as well as via #58 to #30, and even #58 to #50. The agent said I could only go direct. If I wanted to go via CHI, it would have to be two redemptions. So I asked her to book me from HMD to PHL. That also gave me the choices connecting to train #30, 50, and even via PGH. She said my only choice from HMD was to go through PGH, and she would not book me on 50, nor 30 via WAS. Obviously, I got a bad agent, and I will do the call again thing. But just wanted to make sure I don't actually have to take a direct routing.

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think it has to be a direct routing. I know it can not be a circle routing, unless nothing else is available. For example, you could not go STL-CHI-WAS-NYP-BUF on one award, because STL-CHI-BUF is available via the LSL.

About a month ago When I called for LAX - NYP the agent started booking me for Chief to Lake Shore and I said "well I was gonna see if I could get the northern route that leaves LA in the morning" and she said oh ok let me check, and then booked me LAX-Portland-Chicago- NYP. That is certainly not the most direct route.

It's totally unacceptable that this company can not get the act together. They just said it has to be a published route... Why are agents still making up their own rules?

I'm happy that I've always had good experiences with AGR but this is so silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update. I was able to get the res booked from NOL to PHL on 58 and 50 with no problem. AGR Insider from Flyertalk looked into it and it may have just been a misunderstanding between me and first agent. When I said I wanted to go via Chicago, the agent asked if I wanted a stopover there. I said, just what the normal layover was. I guess she may have taken that as a yes, I want stopover. So I don't blame her this time. ;)

Back