Disaster City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first thought was "How much would it take Amtrak to restore them?" My second thought was "No, VIA."

(I'm writing this sitting in a VIA Budd en route to Montreal.)

Reminds me of telling a friend in the National Guard enough about trains that he was able to brief/correct his training course on the matter of trains...

...that is somehow appropriate. After all, SP did provide everyone else with the demo model for wrecking service...

And the night before that episode aired there was a category on the 1970's where the question was directly about Amtrak.

And the night before that episode aired there was a category on the 1970's where the question was directly about Amtrak.
I happened to get a screen shot:

FkhPD6Y.jpg

What was Amtrak? Or what was the National Rail Passenger Corporation? How would Alex Trebek rule on that one?

What was Amtrak? Or what was the National Rail Passenger Corporation? How would Alex Trebek rule on that one?
The guy who "got it" said What is (or was) Amtrak?...with hesitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if someone gave the answer Railpax (though I believe that name had been cut over well before 1 May 71)?
The judges would look it up, and I'm pretty sure they would decide that it doesn't fit the "it began service May 1, 1971" part of the clue (since the National Railroad Passenger Corporation was not known as "Railpax" at that time).

General advice to contestants on "Jeopardy!" is to not "show off" when giving responses. On this one, you can be positive that what they're looking for is "Amtrak," so don't try to overcomplicate it by trying to demonstrate your extra knowledge with "Railpax" (or even "National Railroad Passenger Corporation").

NRPC would probably be upheld by the judges, so if for some reason someone defaulted to that it would likely be upheld. Railpax...not so much.

While probably not applicable to this one game, one has to be always aware of the category.

If the category was "words that end in K", Amtrak would be correct, but not NRPC. On the flip side, if the category was "four word answers", National Railroad Passenger Corporation would be correct, but not Amtrak.

I saw "four word answers" and immediately the idea of a Celebrity Jeopardy skit involving "Four Letter Answers" came to mind.

If it had been the Final Jeopardy answer, would the judges have ruled it a wrong answer if a contestant wrote "What is Amtrack?" :giggle:

If it had been the Final Jeopardy answer, would the judges have ruled it a wrong answer if a contestant wrote "What is Amtrack?" :giggle:
No, that would have been ruled correct -- the basic rule is that you're allowed to misspell a Final Jeopardy! response if it doesn't change the pronunciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back