discount promo codes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you for that fine lecture twice. Oh by the way you can book it online I just did and yess I found the code as well.
I'm sure that you can book it online, of that I have no doubt.

Good luck trying to pick up the tickets without the proper ID.

Unless Amtrak is silly enough to mail them to you. As we are all well aware from hanging around this forum, they have done sillier things. Anyway, as AlanB points out, the second any Amtrak agent or conductor asks you for ID to back up the discount, you're hosed. Not worth the trouble, IMO.

Unless Amtrak is silly enough to mail them to you. As we are all well aware from hanging around this forum, they have done sillier things. Anyway, as AlanB points out, the second any Amtrak agent or conductor asks you for ID to back up the discount, you're hosed. Not worth the trouble, IMO.
your right but I had to try. and just when I went to complete the purchase bam it would not but the hunt was good.

thank you for that fine lecture twice. Oh by the way you can book it online I just did and yess I found the code as well.

I know someone that works there but I'm not going to risk it or get them into trouble. but the hunt was good. And I learned a lot from everyone. You're a smart guy the more you tell someone they can't have something the more they want it.

like I said the hunt was good and I learned a lot. but this happened during the hunt. I went ahead and used the h570 code to book my train ride and got a really good fare but during the hunt this morning trying the other code the h570 gave me a cheaper fare because it looks like one of the trains home went down in price. have you every heard of that?

like I said the hunt was good and I learned a lot. but this happened during the hunt. I went ahead and used the h570 code to book my train ride and got a really good fare but during the hunt this morning trying the other code the h570 gave me a cheaper fare because it looks like one of the trains home went down in price. have you every heard of that?
Absolutely. It happens more often that people might think too. If sales aren't what Amtrak expects, things can go down or if someone cancels a reservation and they were the ones that had kicked the bucket with their reservation, then the price will drop back down to the lower bucket. And if you happen to be the lucky person who comes along at the right time, you can save some bucks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely. It happens more often that people might think too. If sales aren't what Amtrak expects, things can go down or if someone cancels a reservation and they were the ones that had kicked the bucket with their reservation, then the price will drop back down to the lower bucket. And if you happen to be the lucky person who comes along at the right time, you can save some bucks. :)
I really wanted that code to work because I wanted a sleeper I can afford. The lady at amtrak told me once to go online the morning of my trip to see if there are any unsold sleepers on the train I will be on and to ask for one she even told me it would be half the published fare. This was last year. Do you think it will still work?

I really wanted that code to work because I wanted a sleeper I can afford. The lady at amtrak told me once to go online the morning of my trip to see if there are any unsold sleepers on the train I will be on and to ask for one she even told me it would be half the published fare. This was last year. Do you think it will still work?
You might get lucky that way, but I wouldn't bet on it. Generally Amtrak doesn't lower the fares right before departure. I'm not saying that it never happens, but it doesn't happen often.

However, if there are still unsold rooms before you head to the station, then once onboard ask the conductor about an upgrade. Once you are on the train, he must sell you the upgrade at the lowest bucket price. Depending on just what bucket level they are at right now, that could mean a hundred bucks or so in savings if they are in either of the top two buckets right now.

Of course it's always a gamble if there will be any rooms left, but if there are, then you could save big bucks.

Is it just the lowest (D) bucket accommodation charge that you pay on the train, or is it less than that?

Is it just the lowest (D) bucket accommodation charge that you pay on the train, or is it less than that?
Unless there has been a recent policy change that no one has heard about, it is the lowest bucket accommodation charge.

Up until about two years ago (I think it was 2), it used to be 50% off the middle bucket price I believe.

On a slightly new direction...

I seem to have encountered a HICCUP using another code (legitimately, thanks!)

Has anyone used H620? This is the code that is supposed to offer a 75% discount for the 3rd through 6th persons traveling in a group on the NEC.

Our department has an invite to visit an agency in Philadelphia, and I was trying to persuade our Director into using the train for the journey.

If I book 6 people for the journey, each part of the round trip shows trips available (for Regional) in two buckets - one is $222 for all 6 people, the next bucket up is $294 for all 6 people.

If I compose the round trip of a pair of trips in the $222 bucket, the code works fine, discounting the entire round trip for the 6 of us to $222 total, or $37 per person.

However, if I select an earlier return trip, which is in the $294 bucket, then it only discounts the first trip, and tacks the return trip on at full fare, for a cost of $405 total - $67.50.

If I select a pair of regionals in the $294 bucket, then I get this whammy....

Problem With Promotion Code: The Promotion Code you provided is not available for the train, date or accommodation you selected, so we have provided a non-promotional fare. You may proceed with booking this fare, or you may consult your promotional materials and use the 'Modify Selection' button to select a valid train, date or accommodation. Then please resubmit.
Yet, nowhere in the Amtrak discount page does it mention this only being available for trips booked at the lowest available rate, unless that's what this cookie cutter statement is supposed to mean...

"Seating is limited and subject to availability."

GRRRR!

I would try to find a friendly station agent.

The late Robert Scolaro would be the type of station agent I would look for. He used to run the Capitol Hill Amtrak ticket office. Great guy. It was sad to see him pass from the scene.

Anyway, sometimes a good station agent can clear those sort of things up. Just because you can book online doesn't mean you have to book online.

V675 is the ICELAND CODE

booking arrangement that permitted travellers to use the Amtrak NEC to access FI at BWI airport using common ticketing. That partnership was the basis of the Amtrak discount code for FI employees. Amtrak employees reportedly were

So, I used another code: v185 to get 10% off of the price. I've been trying to search what it's for, though most comments on the code say that people have had little trouble when acquiring and using their tickets. What happens if one is unable to back up the code with id, etc? Do they have to pay the difference or are they charged for the initial ticket + code and then asked to buy another ticket?

So, I used another code: v185 to get 10% off of the price. I've been trying to search what it's for, though most comments on the code say that people have had little trouble when acquiring and using their tickets. What happens if one is unable to back up the code with id, etc? Do they have to pay the difference or are they charged for the initial ticket + code and then asked to buy another ticket?
It seems that it's for the American Girl Place. I imagine if I just say I found it on the AGP website when I was ordering something for my sister, I'll probably be fine, right?

Wow this is an old thread. Also a new promo for anyone who has teenagers in the family. Take a teenager with you on the trip to visit a college and you can get 50% off your ticket. Promo code H647 - and you MUST fill out http://www.campusvisit.com/amtrak/.

Last time I tried, it took away two fairs instead of 1. Not sure if they'll actually give me that rate when I pick up the tickets though.

-Joseph

Hello,

I am desperately looking for a discount that will work on the Auto Train. I planned to buy two tickets and a spot for my car for a total of $369. Now the price is $434. I do have AAA but that discount leaves me paying 390.60. Now that $21 difference may not be a big deal to some but it is huge to me as a perpetuately broke student. (Im too old for any teenage discounts.)

I traveled with Amtrak alot in high school but I dont remember if I ever signed up with a rewards program.

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll make sure to come back with a review of my trip.

I haven't seen any discounts for the Auto Train lately and Amtrak doesn't often offer them, since the train sells well. I would highly recommend that you book immediately, before the price jumps again. As the train sells out, the prices keep rising.

V769 will get you 50 percent off of a passenger's ticket.... i booked a trip that came out to 84 dollars but with the code it came down to 63 dollars. its the best ive found. good luck!

V769 will get you 50 percent off of a passenger's ticket.... i booked a trip that came out to 84 dollars but with the code it came down to 63 dollars. its the best ive found. good luck!
To clarify:

V769: Save 50% off companion fare in the Northeast

Source: Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia

Expiration: Book by December 10, 2007. Travel by December 13, 2007.

Restrictions: Amtrak.com accepts V769 for all Northeast travel. However, Amtrak Customer Service advises this discount is valid to/from Philadelphia only. Not valid on Acela.

There's a bunch of new codes for 2008 listed at: http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

The link has all the specifics (terms, expiration, etc), but here's a few good ones...

V453: Save 25% on Downeaster trains between Portland and Boston

V856: Save 20% on Regional trains to/from Boston only

V464: Save 20% on Empire Service trains within New York State

V673: Save 20% on Silver Service and Auto Train to/from Orlando area stations only

H752: Save 20% on Pacific Surfliner and San Joaquins routes only

H750: Free companion ticket on Amtrak Cascades to/from Portland Oregon only

V777: Save 25% on Amtrak Cascades route only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back