Rail service and travel by rail in India and Bangladesh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS corridor, despite the first phase of the corridor opening in October, expansion of the corridor has been ongoing as this video shows. Phase two is scheduled to open next year, with the third phase to open in 2025.

Last edited:
It is Railway Budget season in India again. The 2024-25 Interim Budget was presented in the National Parliament by the Finance Minister as part of the Nation Budget on 2/1/24. It is an Interim Budget this year because there will be a Parliamentary Election mid-year installing a new government, which will then produce the final budget. Currently it is expected that the same party and coalition will prevail and the budget will simply be moved forward as is with perhaps a few tweaks.

Anyhow, some of the salient features of the budget are:
  • Total of about $32 Billion for the year with commitment for stepwise growth from there in subsequent years with major focus on infrastructure development.
  • The Golden Quadrilateral to be minimally upgraded to quad track, additional corridors focused on Energy and Minerals transport and connectivity to major Ports. This includes a couple of additional DFCs
  • 40,000km of new electrified track in 6 years. This is over and above currently committed projects. Basically add an entire German Railway Network in 6 years.
  • Add 3,000 new trains in the same period with the goal of dramatically reducing the size of waiting lists for accommodation on trains.
  • Grow ridership from 8 Billion per year to 10 Billion per year.
  • Double freight carrying capacity from 1.5 Billion Tonnes to 3 Billion Tonnes.
  • Refurbish and upgrade 40,000 existing passenger cars to Vande Bharat standard of interior and exterior fittings including remote controlled automatic doors, wider gangways, upgraded toilets and modernized furnishing matching the layout of the Sleeper Vande Bharats under development.
  • Complete the following strategic lines:
    • Katra - Banihal linking the Kashmir Railway to the rest of the IR network
    • Sivoke - Rangpo completing connection of Sikkim State bordering China, to the national network.
  • Surveys of the following strategic extensions:
    • Baramulla - Uri to the LoC in Kashmir
    • Sopore - Kupwara to LoC in the North
    • Awantipora - Shopian
    • Anantnag - Pahalgam
    • There are several other proposed strategic lines to the Chinese border areas too.
More details as we learn more....., specially as the so called "Pink Book" listing all projects and costs is published with updates from the Interim Budget by the Railway Board.

Last edited:
I forgot to post about the introduction of regular passenger rail service using the 6.15km long Padma Bridge that was under construction for the last several years. Regular service started on Nov 1, 2023 using a temporary routing from the bridge to the west via Faridpur - Pordaha, pending completion of the direct link by a 120kph rated new line connecting the bridge to Khulna and Joshore (and thence to Kolkata) directly. Several domestic trains from Dhaka to Joshore/Khulna have been transitioned to the new route. According to current reports the Kolkata - Dhaka Maitree Express will not be transitioned until the full new route is in service sometime later this year of early 2025.

https://www.newagebd.net/article/216265/commercial-train-services-on-padma-bridge-from-nov-1

Last edited:
Twelve more Vande Bharat routes are slated for inauguration on 12th March 2024. This will increase the total number of Vande Bharat routes to above 50. This will probably be the last introductions until after the Parliamentary Elections which is likely to be notified before the end of March. Once it is notified no government projects are allowed to be inaugurated until after the elections. This is to prevent politicians from using government projects to try to polish their credentials at the last moment before the elections.

Too bad the planned Howrah (Kolkata) to Varanasi route did not make it in this cut, perhaps due to shortage of 16 car consists at this time. The interesting thing about this one is that given the planned schedule for it, it will connect nicely with the Varanasi - New Delhi Vande Bharat Express. So one would be able to leave Howrah at around 6am and get into New Delhi before 11pm the same day, with a one hour connection in Varanasi. The first time one would be able to travel Kolkata to Delhi by ground transport withing the same day!

Last edited:
My goodness - railroads of India and Bangladesh are expanding in leaps and bounds.

My plan to visit the cities of Cox’s Bazar and Feni. I need help to determine if I should get an “airport visa” or a visa well before the trip.

My plan is to meet a guide/driver/translator in Cox’s Bazar then probably travel to Feni and back by car or train with the guide. I will visit whatever small patch of the airfield used by (my Dad was a pilot there) the USAAF in WW2. Also I’d like to see the Grand Trunk Road. The trip is planned for November 2024 - after the monsoon season. Then in Cox’s Bazar I’ll visit the Refugee camp. I’d like to work in riding a train in Bangladesh -,maybe as part of the return trip to Cox’s Bazar.

The second part of the trip would be a five day stopover in Norway and take trains up to the Arctic circle and maybe include a rental car. I’d like to visit the Aircraft/Airforce museum in Bodø (above the Arctic circle) and possibly see the northern lights.

So including airline travel time to/from Boston the trip is planned to be 10 days. I don’t know if my $4000 budget is realistic.

Does this ban apply to attention-grabbing ribbon-cutting ceremonies, or does it also preclude new services being brought on-line quietly.
Apparently no ribbon cutting ceremonies by any government official are allowed once an election has been notified.

My goodness - railroads of India and Bangladesh are expanding in leaps and bounds.

My plan to visit the cities of Cox’s Bazar and Feni. I need help to determine if I should get an “airport visa” or a visa well before the trip.

My plan is to meet a guide/driver/translator in Cox’s Bazar then probably travel to Feni and back by car or train with the guide. I will visit whatever small patch of the airfield used by (my Dad was a pilot there) the USAAF in WW2. Also I’d like to see the Grand Trunk Road. The trip is planned for November 2024 - after the monsoon season. Then in Cox’s Bazar I’ll visit the Refugee camp. I’d like to work in riding a train in Bangladesh -,maybe as part of the return trip to Cox’s Bazar.

The second part of the trip would be a five day stopover in Norway and take trains up to the Arctic circle and maybe include a rental car. I’d like to visit the Aircraft/Airforce museum in Bodø (above the Arctic circle) and possibly see the northern lights.

So including airline travel time to/from Boston the trip is planned to be 10 days. I don’t know if my $4000 budget is realistic.
The extension railway from Dohazari to Cox's Bazar was completed in 4QCY23. Direct Rail Service from Dhaka to Cox's Bazar started from 1 Dec 2023. It is an overnight service from Dhaka to Cox's Bazar and a daytime service from Cox's Bazar to Dhaka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox's_Bazar_Express

All Visa information is best obtained from the Consul-General of Bangladesh.

Here is the info about Visa on Arrival: https://www.bdcgny.org/visa-on-arrival

Last edited:
The Indian Railway Minister visited the BEML Coach Factory to inaugurate the manufacture of the first Vande Bharat Sleeper train. These articulated sets initially of 16 coaches which may in the future be extended to 24 coaches, will be used to replace the current Rajdhani and Duronto Expresses. These are capable to accelerating to 130kph in under 2.5 minutes, compared to a little over 5 minutes that a 20 car train powered by a WAP-7 electric takes today, so one can see how merely replacing the current loco pulled sets by these articulated EMUs can significantly reduce running time given all the traffic and congestion related slowing down and speeding up that is involved even when not making a commercial halt. It is expected that the first couple of sets for testing will be ready in a few months.

The Indian Railway Minister visited the BEML Coach Factory to inaugurate the manufacture of the first Vande Bharat Sleeper train. These articulated sets initially of 16 coaches which may in the future be extended to 24 coaches, will be used to replace the current Rajdhani and Duronto Expresses. These are capable to accelerating to 130kph in under 2.5 minutes, compared to a little over 5 minutes that a 20 car train powered by a WAP-7 electric takes today, so one can see how merely replacing the current loco pulled sets by these articulated EMUs can significantly reduce running time given all the traffic and congestion related slowing down and speeding up that is involved even when not making a commercial halt. It is expected that the first couple of sets for testing will be ready in a few months.
Are the WAP-7 already being retired. I thought they were still pretty modern? Or are they being cascaded onto other trains?

Are the WAP-7 already being retired. I thought they were still pretty modern? Or are they being cascaded onto other trains?
No. Of course not. The Rajdhani and Durontos are a very small proportion of the total passenger train service in India. We hear more about them because they are used by the well to do, more than the other trains. The rest of the passenger network will still depend on WAP-5s and -7s. In any case currently there is a shortage and many passenger trains are powered by WAG-9 freight locomotives which at present is the most numerous relatively new electric locomotive class in India.

On a more generalist note about India, how difficult is it to obtain access to sheds and workshops as a foreign visitor. Can you generally talk your way in, or is there some official procedure to obtain permission, or is this strictly unthinkable?
There is an official procedure. I used to know what it is in the past, but don’t anymore. But I am almost certain that the information can be found by getting in touch with the Chief Public Relations Officer of the Railway Zone in which the location to be visited is located. Another place to start is with the National Railway Museum who may be able to point you in touch with the relevant officials.

Last edited:
There is an official procedure. I used to know what it is in the past, but don;t anymore. But I am almost certain that the information can be found by getting in touch with the Chief Public Relations Officer of the Railway Zone in which the location to be visited is located. Another place to start is with the National Railway Museum who may be able to pout you in touch with the relevant officials.
Thank you for that good tip.

If an employee were to show me around and answer my questions, would he be expecting a gratuity? And how much would be appropriate?

Thank you for that good tip.

If an employee were to show me around and answer my questions, would he be expecting a gratuity? And how much would be appropriate?
When you spend a significant amount of time with someone who does something out of turn to help, often a friendly sit down with some Chai and Samosa or such may work better than tipping. I am not quite sure what the current standard practice is.

Here is a nice video showing the new Esplanade interchange station between the original North-South Blue Line and the new East-West Green Line of Kolkata Metro.... The Green Line connects the two busiest stations on Indian Railways - Howrah Station and Sealdah Station. The video is taken on the day of the inauguration of the station before the festivities began.

There is no spoken words in this video. The background music is a very popular Bengali Folk Song.

For historical reasons, unlike in the other cities where the Metro is a corporation separate from Indian Railways, in Kolkata the Metro is a Zone of Indian Railways.

Last edited:
I love that the direction is "Salt Lake Vector" - does that connect through a worm-hole to Utah somehow (haha)?
Are you perhaps misreading "Salt Lake Sector V" as Vector? It is possible that I missed one stray sign somewhere, so could you point out the timestamp in the video where Salt Lake Vector appears?

Are you perhaps misreading "Salt Lake Sector V" as Vector? It is possible that I missed one stray sign somewhere, so could you point out the timestamp in the video where Salt Lake Vector appears?
Yes, it does say sector but got vector into my head (either way, could still be a portal). I assume that there is a salt lake nearby - too lazy to google and then get stuck in a Wikipedia loop today...

Yes, it does say sector but got vector into my head (either way, could still be a portal). I assume that there is a salt lake nearby - too lazy to google and then get stuck in a Wikipedia loop today...
Salt Lake is an area east of the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass Highway that was built on land reclaimed from what used to be Salt Lake (i.e. saline lake well, actually marshland) There is not much of the water body any more as it has all been filled in and built upon. It was a massive planned development. That is why you see Sector V. The land was parceled out into Sectors with specific functions assigned to each Sector. Sector V is one of the big business districts. It hosts Kolkata's equivalent of a small Silicon Valley in terms of IT and Information Sciences related companies' offices.

Salt Lake Sector V Metro Station is developing as a major interchange station with the under construction adjacent Orange Line (Line 6) IT Metro Center station. Orange Line will connect to Kolkata NSCB International Airport. Both lines are elevated not underground in this area. Actually, none of the Metro lines are underground once they get out of the original city center. The western end of the Green Line is under the old city and the river. The eastern end is in the area of new extensions to the city and is elevated. Line 6 (Orange Line) is entirely in areas of new development and hence entirely elevated.

Last edited:
The Green Line (Line 2) segment of Kolkata Metro between Howrah Maidan and Esplanade (Kolkata business district), running under the Hooghly River adjacent to the iconic Howrah Bridge, via Howrah Station (major rail hub) and Mahakaran (Government offices district) had its first day of regular service yesterday (3/16/24). Apparently on day 1 (which was a Saturday) the cross river ferry services lost 30% of their ridership.

https://infra.economictimes.indiati...-ferry-loses-30-passengers-on-day-1/108551912

One interesting touch is that the internal lighting of tunnels is Blue LED for the segment that is under the River denoting the exact segment that is under the river. Passengers can see it as they pass by. Here is a cab ride video published by KolkataMetro:

For the time being, until further notice there is no service on Sunday. Additionally, there is fear that the system might get overwhelmed on weekdays too since due to operational limits until the segment between Esplanade and Sealdah (second major rail hub) is completed connecting the two halves of the system that is now in service, service frequency cannot be increased beyond 4tph in each direction. When the whole system is completed the CBTC system is capable of operating at 2 min interval, and many believe they will need it ASAP.

That out of service segment will take a little while to complete since they are recovering from a serious cave in..

Last edited:
JIS - is that curvature in the video you just posted due to running under streets (it's very curvy like the Underground - LU/TfL)? And is it supposed to continue on from the end of the video with the blank wall? That blue underwater segment is kinda cool - I was looking for flood doors - reputedly the tube has (well, had, I suppose, since the reputedly don't work any longer) flood doors in places. We don't in Chicago in the two places the L dives under the river to my knowledge.

Thanks for posting and - mind the gap!

JIS - is that curvature in the video you just posted due to running under streets (it's very curvy like the Underground - LU/TfL)? And is it supposed to continue on from the end of the video with the blank wall? That blue underwater segment is kinda cool - I was looking for flood doors - reputedly the tube has (well, had, I suppose, since the reputedly don't work any longer) flood doors in places. We don't in Chicago in the two places the L dives under the river to my knowledge.

Thanks for posting and - mind the gap!
They have generally followed streets or other ground that do not have significant buildings on them in order to minimize disturbance to the building foundations. It is difficult to know what will happen if foundations built in mud are disturbed. Multiple rerouting leading to trying to tunnel under buildings possibly led to the collapse between Esplanade and Sealdah several years back. An underground spring completed the fiasco. Currently apparently the Westbound Tunnel which was affected has finally been completed, and work is in progress to plug the hole in the ground through which the TBMs were recovered at that point.

The entire system is designed to operate in an environment where 6' high tidal boars are common. Roads near the riverfront are routinely waterlogged during high spring tides, and it has been that way for a century, nothing new. The need for flood doors for the underwater segment is minimal since the tunnels are unlikely to fail. Any water incursion will happen through the station entrances from the surface, so that is where all the protections are concentrated including the need to climb up a set of steps to get to the entrance, to eliminate the possibility of expected flooding outside from getting into the system, It is indeed a fully water sealed system since the water table in Kolkata is only 20 or so feet below ground, when the surface is not flooded that is.

Last edited:
Currently (April 2024) there are 60 Vande Bharat routes in operation, 15 are 16 car and 45 are 8 car.

It was announced over the last couple of days that six existing Vande Bharat Express routes will have their consists augmented from 16 to 20 coaches. The announcement is in Hindi so pointless including it here. Among the routes getting this augmentation are:
  • Mumbai Central - Vadodra - Ahmadabad (both daily tarins)
  • Sri Mata Vaishnao Devi Katra (SVDK) - Ambala Cantt. - New Delhi (Katra is on the route to Kashmir where the Kashmir Rail Link starts. There will be a separate 8 Coach Vande Bharat connecting cross platform at Katra going to Badgam (Srinagar) when the route is inaugurated possibly later this year.)
  • New Delhi - Prayagraj - Varanasi (both daily trains, within six months and a connecting Vande Bharat will be introduced between Varansi and Howrah via Grand Chord which will connect cross platform with one of the two New Delhi - Varanasi Vande Bharats giving a day time connection from New Delhi to Howrah)
  • Thiruvantipuram - Kasargod - Mengaluru
  • Mumbai CSMT - Pune - Sholapur
  • Howrah - Malda - New Jalpaiguri (connection to Vande Bharat to Guwahati (Assam) and Darjeeling Himalayan Railway.)

Last edited:
Back