Discussion of train names

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be wrong, but my assumption has always been the various "orient" badged/named trains - and other transport - referred to general eastbound (or in the US, towards the 'east' - Mordor I suppose) destinations.

I would be surprised if they win. They have not used that moniker on anything for ages. You cannot just randomly place a hold on a phrase that you have not used and are unlikely to use for a long time.
Thinking about it, the only possible valid reason may be that they may be marketing some nostalgia products and jealously guard their “intellectual property”,,,?
Not sure…

Thinking about it, the only possible valid reason may be that they may be marketing some nostalgia products and jealously guard their “intellectual property”,,,?
Not sure…
It must be visibly used.

That is the reason that Amtrak has one car with the word Metroliner emblazoned on it, just to maintain control of that Trademark.

In some cases, the "secondary trains" had minor variations in their routing from the more famous sibling. On some roads, holders of free travel passes, as well as discounted revenue tickets were excluded from the top train.
Yes, in grade school my classmate Donna had a pass that was only good on SP 19/20, the Klamath. Her dad was a brakeman. My classmate Paul had a pass that was good on all UP trains out of Portland except for the Streamliner. His dad was a claim agent, so Paul could ride the Idahoan, Portland Rose, and the UP pool train to Seattle.

Yes, in grade school my classmate Donna had a pass that was only good on SP 19/20, the Klamath. Her dad was a brakeman. My classmate Paul had a pass that was good on all UP trains out of Portland except for the Streamliner. His dad was a claim agent, so Paul could ride the Idahoan, Portland Rose, and the UP pool train to Seattle.
As a kid, I remember being able to ride with my Grandparents on SP Trains except for the Sunset Ltd, since their RailRoad Pass was only good in Chair Coach on the "Lesser" Trains .( which were still pulled by Steamers!)

However, my first ride on the Sunset Ltd ( Paid/in a Section Lower Berth)was with my Mom to visit my Dad who was Stationed on the West Coast before going to the South Pacific @ the end of WW II.

Seriously, BNSF?

What in the world could prompt them to give a hoot about some start up airline using a name long defunct (over a half-century) by one of their predecessor companies? Do they worry that anyone could possibly think they were somehow related?

I guess their in-house attorney's don't have enough to do these days...🤷‍♂️
Well, from BNSF’s perspective: it owns the name Northern Pacific and someone wants to make money from the name Northern Pacific; shouldn’t BNSF get its share?

I guess if I ever make money using my screen name, Norfolk Southern may come calling…

Back