Disobedience on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally witnessed a drunk passenger get kicked off of the Lincoln Service at Dwight in 2014. He got on in Chicago and sat in BC. He used profanity and was lamenting the Cubs loss that day. He was right behind me. I ignored him until he reached between the seats and poked me and asked for a pen. I firmly told him no. I did not want to engage him in any conversation because my GF does not like profanity. It’s not possible for me to judge someone for profanity because I use it too sometimes.

After I told him no, he called me a four letter word. I got up and notified the LSA. I explained what happened and that I was willing to ignore him until he directly called me a name. The LSA called the conductor and both the conductor and AC arrived. Both were African American women. They checked tickets. And asked the guy to go with them. As he was he was leaving he called me a 4 letter word starting with B that is a real no no around women. The conductor said to me, What did he just call you?” I told her enough without using it, and off they went. After Dwight she came back and profusely apologized for my experience and stated that she had seen me on numerous trips and that I was never a problem. She explained that he had been put off in Dwight because he also called her the 4 letter word. That was a quick stop. I didn’t even know he was put off.
Good conductor(s), I hope they're still with Amtrak

I had two soldiers put off the Canadian in Revelstoke. They had brought their own alcohol into the coach. I thought at first that they'd have a drink and then go to sleep but one drink each wasn't enough and they were getting loud. I could hear other passengers muttering, so I went for the conductor.

It's amazing to me to think of how many trips I've made where nothing happened or where it was dealt with smoothly enough to not draw attention. Oregon Revised Statutes used to have a section authorizing "powers of sheriff" to railway conductors so that they could deputize help in dealing with problems. A clue that problems on board are not new.

Not unruly, but strange.

I was on the Texas Eagle once and there was a passenger in the SSL or in the Cafe car, who might have been slightly confused mentally, or might have used some substances. But was otherwise reasonably well behaved.

This passenger told me, and several other people besides, that he was travelling to Memphis. I said the train wasn't going to Memphis and was concerned he might have boarded the wrong train in Chicago.

But the Amtrak staff didn't seem to have any trouble with him so I assume they were satisfied with his reason for being there.

At every stop he would be asking if we thought the next stop was Memphis.

I don't know where he got off eventually. Later during the trip I didn't see him any more.
That’s because you slept through the Memphis stop.

I personally witnessed a drunk passenger get kicked off of the Lincoln Service at Dwight in 2014. He got on in Chicago and sat in BC. He used profanity and was lamenting the Cubs loss that day. He was right behind me. I ignored him until he reached between the seats and poked me and asked for a pen. I firmly told him no. I did not want to engage him in any conversation because my GF does not like profanity. It’s not possible for me to judge someone for profanity because I use it too sometimes.

After I told him no, he called me a four letter word. I got up and notified the LSA. I explained what happened and that I was willing to ignore him until he directly called me a name. The LSA called the conductor and both the conductor and AC arrived. Both were African American women. They checked tickets. And asked the guy to go with them. As he was he was leaving he called me a 4 letter word starting with B that is a real no no around women. The conductor said to me, What did he just call you?” I told her enough without using it, and off they went. After Dwight she came back and profusely apologized for my experience and stated that she had seen me on numerous trips and that I was never a problem. She explained that he had been put off in Dwight because he also called her the 4 letter word. That was a quick stop. I didn’t even know he was put off.
4 letter word starting with B that is a real no no around women. Please teach me that word. I've been thinkin' and thinkin', to no avail...

When I was a kid growing up in Decatur, the NY Yankees stars were ejected from the Wabash Cannonball for being drunk and disorderly. They had to rent a taxi to drive the last 120 miles to STL to play the Browns. This made the Decatur newspaper, and I wrote a verse about it for the famous song, "Wabash Cannonball." Do read my article; it contains everything I know about the song and I'd like any feedback. Wabash Cannonball | History News Network
The Yankees -- Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford, and all the boys,
Were drinking in the club car in Decatur, Illinois.
They all got thrown off the train; they could not play baseball,
'Cause they were drunk and disorderly on the Wabash Cannonball.
-- Jim Loewen
Thanks for sharing. I found the article educational, interesting and enjoyable!

When someone gets dumped of in the middle of nowhere, I'm pretty sure there is law enforcement at the crossing to receive the "dumpee".

so am I .

if somebody is inebriated with alcohol and then just dumped somewhere hours or even days from any place they could get food or assistance, and something happens to them , Amtrak might well risk being charged in some way . So they would make sure there is somebody to take custody .

No matter how awful their previous behavior .

I was on a day trip to Tampa before Covid when the train picked up two guys headed from Orlando to Tampa. Those guys were a bit drunk and got into a shouting match with a lady in a wheelchair. The conductor broke-up the shouting match and told the two guys they would have to get off at the next stop. They were not to happy but agreed to get off. The lady in the wheelchair tried to get in "one last word" as the two guys headed to the door at the stop and the conductor told her if she said another word to them she would be getting off the train, too. Needless to say, the lady shut her mouth and hardly uttered another word all the way to Tampa.
Why would you ride from Orlando to Tampa? That’s only 75 miles. Very little time to grab a cold one in the Lounge!

4 letter word starting with B that is a real no no around women. Please teach me that word. I've been thinkin' and thinkin', to no avail...

I am thinking it’s a five-letter word—another name for a female dog. I hate the word, so I never say it!

Here’s my take on increased disobedience—whether on a train or a plane. Many people are just angry at this time. I won’t go into details because I can mention a few. I’ve seen it on the roads much more lately as well; people “tailgating” and then passing you illegally on a double line!! Needless honking as well. The lady on Southwest was clearly at fault. Southwest (and the TSA/FAA) require masks to be worn throughout the duration of a flight—unless actively eating or drinking. It’s there in black and white; they tell you before takeoff that “Federal regulations require passenger compliance with crew instructions and printed directions!” Scary world..

I agree with Oreius that random bad behavior seems to have gotten much worse recently, especially during Pandemica. "I gotta right to" and "You can't stop me" seems to be the beginning of too many statements these days. I saw a couple yesterday about to enter a store with their pet dog. The entrance to the store had a huge sign saying that only service animals were permitted inside. I watched them pause for about a minute and then barge in, and of course, when a store employee politely called their attention to the rule--based on a local ordinance--I heard the "But I have a right to..." remonstration start up.

Honestly, people...

We stopped one time after there was a VERY drunk guy mouthing off non stop (years ago, not mask related)...conductors called ahead for police to be where they were going to stop. They got the drunk guy off the train and you could see out the window the police pulling out MULTIPLE MACHETES from his duffle bag. Glad they got him off...I did see and hear him rambling on and on prior to that so who knows how many others did if he was going through the train. This was either the Blue Water or Wolverine maybe 12 years ago. crazy.

It is perplexing how so many of the people that get ejected from the train had been indulging in alcoholic beverages! There must be a connection somewhere... 🤔

LOL!

“Ah beer. The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.” -Homer Simpson

On the SWC out of Los Angeles, during the early seating for dinner (we were not long out of LA), a well pickled man became loud and abusive in the dining car. His behavior persisted and the train crew moved him into the SSL where I was sitting. The train pulled into into its next station and the crew were attempting to remove him from the SSL (police were waiting on the platform) when he became combative. A passenger sitting next to me went to the assistance of the crew. The three of them managed to subdue the man enough to get him down the stairs and off the train.

I have never understood why the police did not board the train to assist the train crew in removing the drunk.

If I'm not mistaken Local LE have no jurisdiction on Federal Property.

Every time I've seen someone put off a Train ,which is many times in 50 years of riding, the only LE Officers I've seen board a Train are Amtrak Police, or Federal Agents.

All the times Ive observed de-trained passengers being turned over to Local LE Officers occurred off the Train.
This is just one of the videos I have seen of LE Officers boarding a train to do an eviction: . Just sayin';)

I don’t like wearing the masks, and I get it that’s it’s a pain. However, I understand rules are rules. I made an agreement to travel, and thus must accept the fact. I think of it as a “contract.”

I feel the same way about the masks, but as you said, traveling on Amtrak is like a contract. So I would "suck it up" and deal with it too. 😀

I don’t like wearing the masks, and I get it that’s it’s a pain. However, I understand rules are rules. I made an agreement to travel, and thus must accept the fact. I think of it as a “contract.”
Unfortunately, a lot of corporate contracts are written such that they have all the power and you have none and that means you may not be able to buy anything, repair anything, return anything or even complain about anything without losing.

On the other hand, we do have a way to complain to our legislators and have the law changed to prohibit certain practices but only if the issue is so deafening by so many that it overcomes the massive lobbying from the corporations.

Unfortunately, a lot of corporate contracts are written such that they have all the power and you have none and that means you may not be able to buy anything, repair anything, return anything or even complain about anything without losing.

On the other hand, we do have a way to complain to our legislators and have the law changed to prohibit certain practices but only if the issue is so deafening by so many that it overcomes the massive lobbying from the corporations.
The mask requirement is a Federal reg, effective through September 13th. Not much to do with Amtrak's contract of carriage other than what I presume is an agreement to follow Amtrak policies and relevant regulations.

As far as the contract of carriage is concerned, I find the mandatory arbitration much more concerning than an agreement to follow policies and regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back