Disobedience on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure-especially if you are a flight attendant who had your teeth knocked out by an unruly woman refusing the mask!
Well, when flight attendants start running airlines, those bans will stick! ;) My guess, completely uninformed, is that passengers whose misdeeds ended up in arrests will get long bans, those who just got ban cards will be flying again once all this is over.

Well, when flight attendants start running airlines, those bans will stick! ;) My guess, completely uninformed, is that passengers whose misdeeds ended up in arrests will get long bans, those who just got ban cards will be flying again once all this is over.

This is so true. The amount of misconduct I've seen just walking around the Charlotte airport is appalling. I've seen so many gate agents almost get into altercations because someone usually a middle aged white male got unruly and violent rapidly. What really scares me though is usually they still end up letting them get on the plane. If that's how they are going to act on the ground I can tell you I don't want them on my aircraft.

What also irks me is mainline gets flex cuffs and ways to restrain them over on the regional side we get nothing but generally we get them after something earlier in the day on mainline irked them and they are just fuming ready to have their anger flash.

I told that to one of my police officers down here in my home town and she taught me how to use both flex cuffs and regular handcuffs while I was watching Amtrak last night. Also where to purchase my own as well. First time I've ever handcuffed a police officer and probably the last time as well.

What this all comes down to is this: More people have become nasty and disrespectful since COVID-19 began. I’ve seen it here in PA in my town! Few people say “Hi” anymore, and crime in the major cities has skyrocketed. Why can’t people just respect each other? Respect is a two-way street. You must give it to get it back. Treat others as YOU would like to be treated. Goes a long way.

This is so true. The amount of misconduct I've seen just walking around the Charlotte airport is appalling. I've seen so many gate agents almost get into altercations because someone usually a middle aged white male got unruly and violent rapidly. What really scares me though is usually they still end up letting them get on the plane. If that's how they are going to act on the ground I can tell you I don't want them on my aircraft.

What also irks me is mainline gets flex cuffs and ways to restrain them over on the regional side we get nothing but generally we get them after something earlier in the day on mainline irked them and they are just fuming ready to have their anger flash.

I told that to one of my police officers down here in my home town and she taught me how to use both flex cuffs and regular handcuffs while I was watching Amtrak last night. Also where to purchase my own as well. First time I've ever handcuffed a police officer and probably the last time as well.

That's ridiculous and I'm sorry about the lack of cuffs, especially since isn't PSA a wholly own subsidiary of American's Corportation?

Also, are the gate agents who dispatch your flights PSA employees or American Employees in hubs like Charlotte?

I know in outstations like South Bend where I live they are from a contractor after the time my partner and I were involuntarily denied boarding on a SBN-CLT flight operated by PSA and I had to inform them of our rights to cash (a check) instead of a voucher, which had to be mailed to us because no one on staff knew how to use the American check inprinter. They spent some of the 2 hours time it took them to rebook us and get our compensation dealing with Americans internal system complaining how much worse it was for these types of issues compared to United's who's flights they also dispatched. I did file a DOT complaint against PSA (and not American, since it was a PSA operated flight) because of the gate agents blatant disregard to Federal rules on IDBs for not immediately giving us the paperwork with our rights to request cash instead of a voucher. (they gave us our paperwork as we left).

That's ridiculous and I'm sorry about the lack of cuffs, especially since isn't PSA a wholly own subsidiary of American's Corportation?

Also, are the gate agents who dispatch your flights PSA employees or American Employees in hubs like Charlotte?

I know in outstations like South Bend where I live they are from a contractor after the time my partner and I were involuntarily denied boarding on a SBN-CLT flight operated by PSA and I had to inform them of our rights to cash (a check) instead of a voucher, which had to be mailed to us because no one on staff knew how to use the American check inprinter. They spent some of the 2 hours time it took them to rebook us and get our compensation dealing with Americans internal system complaining how much worse it was for these types of issues compared to United's who's flights they also dispatched. I did file a DOT complaint against PSA (and not American, since it was a PSA operated flight) because of the gate agents blatant disregard to Federal rules on IDBs for not immediately giving us the paperwork with our rights to request cash instead of a voucher. (they gave us our paperwork as we left).

Yes we are one of the three wholly owned regionals for AA. Our gate agents in Charlotte are actually Piedmont employees one of the other wholly owned regionals. I've become friends with a few of them which gets me better treatment from them actually. I'll probably go to Carowinds with some of them later this month too.

In South Bend we probably use a contract firm like Swissport or one of the other ones. I haven't been to that station yet. I'm sorry to hear about that interaction with our agents. But yes it is really ludicrous that we get no way to defend ourselves on board with the same crazy passengers mainline has. I don't mind buying the stuff to protect myself but I do think it should be provided.

Why would you ride from Orlando to Tampa? That’s only 75 miles. Very little time to grab a cold one in the Lounge!
[/QUOTE]for me it would be the train, bus or walk, that is why

Why would you ride from Orlando to Tampa? That’s only 75 miles. Very little time to grab a cold one in the Lounge!
I-4 is often a parking lot. One of the reasons the Atlanta Braves moved spring training to the Fort Myers area is trips to Tampa area from Their WDW training site often took 4 hours. Their announcers would often complain loudly about it.

Last edited:

Actually, this was my quote, but I don’t mind if it’s is shared.

You do have a point there. I-4 is often very congested. Particularly around the corridor from Tampa to Lakeland, and then between Lake Buena Vista and Sanford. FDOT is working to upgrade the route through the Orlando area by adding tolled express lanes. In actuality, I-4 is one of the few original Interstates with future growth planned in advance. The route is capable of being upgraded to 5 lanes in each direction along its entire route. All of I-4 is at least three lanes in each direction.

In South Bend we probably use a contract firm like Swissport or one of the other ones. I haven't been to that station yet. I'm sorry to hear about that interaction with our agents. But yes it is really ludicrous that we get no way to defend ourselves on board with the same crazy passengers mainline has. I don't mind buying the stuff to protect myself but I do think it should be provided.

Thanks for the inside tidbit about Charlotte operations!

As a train enthusiast I hope you make it to our little airport/railway station soon. You can actually see the South Shore Line platform from the ramp. Gate 9 is maybe 50 feet from the platform. I've watched (and photographed) the South Shore Line from Allegiant planes waiting for departure. Sadly American Eagle uses gate 3 that's on the other side of the terminal.

Actually, this was my quote, but I don’t mind if it’s is shared.

You do have a point there. I-4 is often very congested. Particularly around the corridor from Tampa to Lakeland, and then between Lake Buena Vista and Sanford. FDOT is working to upgrade the route through the Orlando area by adding tolled express lanes. In actuality, I-4 is one of the few original Interstates with future growth planned in advance. The route is capable of being upgraded to 5 lanes in each direction along its entire route. All of I-4 is at least three lanes in each direction.
With or without rail in the median?

Thanks for the inside tidbit about Charlotte operations!

As a train enthusiast I hope you make it to our little airport/railway station soon. You can actually see the South Shore Line platform from the ramp. Gate 9 is maybe 50 feet from the platform. I've watched (and photographed) the South Shore Line from Allegiant planes waiting for departure. Sadly American Eagle uses gate 3 that's on the other side of the terminal.

I want the South Bend overnight more so I can just railfan on the Chicago Line. Or take the South Shore for the first time into the city. I could be tempted for either one. Our overnight in Toledo is next to the Chicago Line.

But back to the topic at hand yes passengers are getting worse by the day.

I want the South Bend overnight more so I can just railfan on the Chicago Line. Or take the South Shore for the first time into the city. I could be tempted for either one. Our overnight in Toledo is next to the Chicago Line.

But back to the topic at hand yes passengers are getting worse by the day.
And it's gonna get worse as another Wave sweeps across the Country and the Crazies get Crazier and Crazier!☠🤬

The Amtrak dragons need to be trained the same way that Etihad flight attendants are- in customer service, in order for America to get into training.

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 8.07.37 AM.png
I had a SCA who was like one of the gate dragons. She would insist that you would do things her way only. At least she did not abuse the PA system. Was anyone else here on the Southwest Chief westbound departing from Chicago on 12/21/2020?

I’m sure you’ve read the news about the lady who assaulted a flight attendant on a Southwest Airlines flight. Apparently, the unruly lady popped the attendant in the mouth, breaking two of her teeth. The lady and her 3 kids refused to wear a mask on the flight and was (supposedly) being defiant. She was charged with felony assault.
Now, here’s my question. How does Amtrak deal with unruly passengers? I do know the Conductor is authorized to “throw someone off.” The Conductor is in charge of all onboard crew members. I also know Amtrak has a dedicated police force, primarily in the Northeast. Has anyone ever witnessed unruly behavior? Both Southwest Airlines and the FAA have reported an “explosion” of unruly passengers on flights.
My wife witnessed someone get taken off the train in Durham on his way to Charlotte. Then we got back on to grab his things. He did not want to wear a mask.

About two weeks ago another rider called a non-mask wearing out and the conductor was very nice but firm. She and her son masked up. They ended up getting off at Selma instead of Raleigh as her slip indicated above her seat.

Reactions: Cal
I am one who is very skeptical that masks work as advertised BUT I may be wrong about this. They may be somewhat helpful. If masks are required we will comply. Its really no big deal to slip one on and how anyone could make that big a deal of it is difficult to understand. We will be flying to AZ in a few weeks and are expected to mask up. The airline advises you in advance so does Amtrak, so if one so strongly objects there is a simple solution. Just don't accept the terms and stay home.

Respect is a two-way street. You must give it to get it back. Treat others as YOU would like to be treated. Goes a long way

Matthew 7:12 The Golden Rule

I wonder if there is any connection between what behaviors we are seeing in our society and the drop in Church attendance/membership.

Matthew 7:12 The Golden Rule

I wonder if there is any connection between what behaviors we are seeing in our society and the drop in Church attendance/membership.
Do you have evidence of that?

Look at the late 1800s to the 1950s to see the worst in American treatment of other Americans in a "modern society" (not counting the previous slavery years).

And if you think politicians are any different, read a well-researched book or two about our founding fathers, Washington, Adams, Hamilton, Jefferson, Madison, etc. They put some of our worst ones to shame when it comes to NOT acting in the country's interest.

My wife witnessed someone get taken off the train in Durham on his way to Charlotte. Then we got back on to grab his things. He did not want to wear a mask.

About two weeks ago another rider called a non-mask wearing out and the conductor was very nice but firm. She and her son masked up. They ended up getting off at Selma instead of Raleigh as her slip indicated above her seat.

Wow, I've rarely seen an Amtrak employee actually enforce the mask mandate. And I have over 100,000 Amtrak miles and never saw someone get put off the train.

Over 50 nurses at the hospital where my wife is employed all wore masks and came down with the virus. That evidence makes me skeptical of their effectiveness but all recovered. I do believe that masks are quite effective against bacteria.
As compared to how many that did not get infected? Masks are not a guaranteed protection, but they are a protection nonetheless.

One could also say that 9,000 vaccinated people got infected, but does it follow from that that vaccines are ineffective and do not work?

Last edited:
Over 50 nurses at the hospital where my wife is employed all wore masks and came down with the virus. That evidence makes me skeptical of their effectiveness but all recovered. I do believe that masks are quite effective against bacteria.
And droplets about the same size as a bacterium carrying viruses.

A hospital is an exceptionally dangerous location. Nurses are exposed to a massive amount of Covid-19 there, from all the infected patients. Masks work very well, but they aren't perfect; air can slip around the edges. If you're in a Covid hotspot like a hospital, it's extremely hard to protect yourself.

The masks work best if *the infected people wear them*, and unfortunately, I suspect the patients coming into the hospital weren't doing so before walking in the door. Even if they were, they have to take their masks off for various procedures including testing and treatment. Extremely dangerous situation for the nurses, being very close to lots of unmasked people who have Covid-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back