Disposition of 4 Superliner Cars EB accident Joplin MT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No real RR Job
AU Supporting Member
Anyone have some any input as to the --- Disposition of the 4 Superliner Cars EB accident Joplin MT ?
Did they eventually wind up at Beech Grove ?

Curiosity killed the cat - Satisfaction brought it back (9 lives) !

I haven't heard if they have moved or not, but will be passing through the area on Wednesday and will report.

The Seattle section of the train was re-railed and brought to Havre for a couple of weeks. This included Viewliner Baggage car, Superliner Trans-Dorm Sleeper, and Superliner Sleeper 730 car (these three never left the rails, but likely needed some wheel work and general inspection). The Superliner Sleeper 731 car, Superliner Diner, and Superliner Coach were re-railed. This is the consist that I think it made its way back to Chicago in a special move. The Superliner Sightseer Car is questionable - it overturned to a 90 degree angle, but not sure if that was re-railed and also taken back to Chicago. The last three cars - the Portland coaches and sleeper - were put into a siding (and sort of behind some cars - blocked from main view) on a siding a few miles west of the derailment site. That's at least what I believe I observed when passing through about 1.5 weeks after the tragedy. I would think those 3 cars will go to a scrapper eventually, as they had completely overturned and were pretty badly damaged....

would think those 3 cars will go to a scrapper eventually, as they had completely overturned and were pretty badly damaged....

Most of the damage was from the derailment clean up contractor, not from the derailment itself. Those folks are focus on getting the track back in service and not prevent damage to equipment and cargo.

I have seen them clean up a intermodal train. They were using there equipment to just dig into the container itself to move it away from the tracks. No cares about the cargo inside.

When a tractor trailer gets rolled over, it not uncommon to see that same equipment back on the road again. The wreckers try to recover the equipment and prevent damage to the cargo inside. Transfer cargo to another trailer before or after. Recovering and repairing equipment is common in the trucking industry.

Just passed the area on Wednesday and Sunday, no sign of those cars.

Back