"Do Not Hump"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I could give you a very naughty reference, but I won't.

Simply put it means that the car shouldn't be humped. There are two ways that freight RR's build their trains. The first is called "Flat Switching", where you have a switch engine that moves the cars around from track to track as necessary to put the cars in the proper order.

The second way is through a hump yard. Cars are pushed over a small hill and are allowed to roll down the hill one at a time. Meanwhile a worker sitting in a tower throws the necessary switches to allow the cars to roll onto the proper tracks for classification.

So if a car says do not hump, then it should always be flat switched and not humped.

I seem to recall that there was an article about 3 or 4 months ago in Trains discussing the types of yards and classification methods.

I remember that article but can't remember what month it was...maybe November?

On most equipment I have seen signs saying "DO NOT HUMP". What's this mean?
Hmm, well they may not want to use the jacking pad that Viewliner's have then. :lol:

I haven't the slightest clue. But I believe when they are jacking a car up off of its wheels they use the jacking pad, I hope.

Jacking pads on railway cars are similar in function to the points where one places the jack while jacking up an automobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back